Non-traditional student- trouble with extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jilliberta

Reaction score
I don't know if I have extracurriculars. Does working full-time for 10 years count?
I am a non-traditional student with a BA in Spanish and Art, I graduated in 2008 and worked full time for 10 years before deciding to go back to school. I am currently getting a second bachelor's taking all of the pre-reqs I need. I will be 35 when I apply so anything I did in the first round of college is irrelevant. The only hobby I have is reading. What are considered extracurriculars? I am hoping to apply for 2021 matriculation, so there is some time for me to add in something, but not much. I am taking only science classes and I commute two hours a day, so I don't really have much free time.
Are there any older students that have any tips? Any very wise traditional students that can tell me their extracurriculars?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As a non-traditional student I can tell you that Extracurriculars are not everything when it comes to your application as a whole. I was accepted to UAB this cycle and will be starting in the fall of 2020. During my interview with the chair of the admissions committee he told me that he loves non-traditional students because we are typically more mature and experienced .
I personally only had one extracurricular listed on my application, the rest of my experiences were labeled shadowing, volunteer, or employment. I think the important part is having a record of experiences, I don't believe that there is emphasis placed much on extracurricular activities. I hope this brings you some relief. If you have any questions feel free to message me. Best of luck to you on your journey!

Reactions: 1 user
As a non-traditional student I can tell you that Extracurriculars are not everything when it comes to your application as a whole. I was accepted to UAB this cycle and will be starting in the fall of 2020. During my interview with the chair of the admissions committee he told me that he loves non-traditional students because we are typically more mature and experienced .
I personally only had one extracurricular listed on my application, the rest of my experiences were labeled shadowing, volunteer, or employment. I think the important part is having a record of experiences, I don't believe that there is emphasis placed much on extracurricular activities. I hope this brings you some relief. If you have any questions feel free to message me. Best of luck to you on your journey!
Thank you, this helps. I think I just needed someone to tell me it is fine. I know logically that being a non-traditional student is an advantage, but it just makes it hard to for me to see any holes in my preparation because my experience is incomparable to that of my classmates and future cohort. Congratulations on being accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you should focus on OAT score. With a high OAT score and not many extracurricular activities, you can get into a good optometry school. I hope this helps for you. Best of luck.

I'm also a non-traditional student who was accepted this cycle for SUNY. While they do like to hear about extra-curricular activities you have been involved in, I think your overall work experience outweighs not having any! Just make sure you have some shadowing experience done/ a strong OAT and you'll be absolutely fine.

I'm also a non-traditional student who was accepted this cycle for SUNY. While they do like to hear about extra-curricular activities you have been involved in, I think your overall work experience outweighs not having any! Just make sure you have some shadowing experience done/ a strong OAT and you'll be absolutely fine.
Thanks! I’ve shadowed a few doctors and I am working on the OAT part, but trying not to stress too much about it. I’ll take it this summer. Congratulations on getting accepted to SUNY. They are high on my list.

Hi there! Nice to see someone else in their 30's! I was just accepted to AZCOPT after being out of school for almost 10 years. I also worked full time while I was out of school and then decided to go back and finish up just 2 years ago. My experience with applying and interviewing was that the extracurriculars were more to find out what kind of person that you were. Use your work experience but relate it to the field of optometry, spin it in a way that shows that the last 10 years have prepared you for what you want to do with your next 30 years. Use the fact that you are working full time AND going to school. My school loved that about me because it showed that I was dedicated and could handle a heavy load. Maturity played a big factor as well, I was the oldest one out of the 10 that interviewed with me on the same day and I used that to my advantage. Us non-traditional students have to use non-traditional extracurriculars, I have 3 kids and I put that on my application, and it helped! Mention all of the things that you are doing in your life and relate it to your future career and you should be fine.

Hi there! Nice to see someone else in their 30's! I was just accepted to AZCOPT after being out of school for almost 10 years. I also worked full time while I was out of school and then decided to go back and finish up just 2 years ago. My experience with applying and interviewing was that the extracurriculars were more to find out what kind of person that you were. Use your work experience but relate it to the field of optometry, spin it in a way that shows that the last 10 years have prepared you for what you want to do with your next 30 years. Use the fact that you are working full time AND going to school. My school loved that about me because it showed that I was dedicated and could handle a heavy load. Maturity played a big factor as well, I was the oldest one out of the 10 that interviewed with me on the same day and I used that to my advantage. Us non-traditional students have to use non-traditional extracurriculars, I have 3 kids and I put that on my application, and it helped! Mention all of the things that you are doing in your life and relate it to your future career and you should be fine.

Thank you! This was good for me to read!