Non-traditional Type I ("Late bloomer") - how to maximize time before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herro123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Herro!

I recently left my job at an early stage technology startup to complete my few remaining pre-requisites and apply for medical school.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, but am planning to take it in January 2015! My undergrad GPA was 3.7c; my post-grad (classes at local UC) is 4.0. Would love to hear stories from other 'late bloomers' and would appreciate any advice on optimizing the many months before medical school! :)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome to the club :)
I am looking for advice on how to maximize my activities during the next <12 months before applying.... I have not taken the MCAT yet, but am planning to take it in January 2015!
Advice: Study for the MCAT. Start now, continue through January and don't sit for it until your average score on practice tests is significantly above 30.
Not kidding.
It's a beast and if your coursework is not recent/fresh in your mind, then you need to study extra. Treat this as your new full time job.

The rest of your numbers & ECs look good. More shadowing and volunteering is always great, so filling in extra hours with those is always a good idea.
I had a great deal of medical exposure (volunteering at a free clinic, research--though no publications, sadly but received a major grant, shadowing in the ER, teaching assistant and course instructor, house staff for biology house, etc.) during my undergraduate years, and plan to pick these activities up again now that I am no longer working.
Only the bolded actually count as 'clinical experience' for the purposes of med apps. Essentially, as LizzyM likes to say, if you can smell the patients, then it's clinical. The academic side of things doesn't so much count for this.
I am considering: volunteering or working with an international non-profit or social enterprise, scribing in the ER, applying for a Fulbright to conduct public health research in Asia.
Why the international activities? If they're things you're passionate about and want to get in before med school, great. If you think they're going to check a box for you, then don't. Better to put your time into local community service and clinical activities.
Also a Fulbright would postpone your app cycle for an additional year or more. Not necessarily a bad thing, just sayin'.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
@kraskadva thank you so much! :)

Advice: Study for the MCAT. Start now, continue through January and don't sit for it until your average score on practice tests is significantly above 30.
Not kidding.
It's a beast and if your coursework is not recent/fresh in your mind, then you need to study extra. Treat this as your new full time job.

Will do. I am signed up for a BR prep course & will follow SN2ed plan to fill in weak areas. Any suggestions on following SN2ed's plan while taking a prep course?

Why the international activities? If they're things you're passionate about and want to get in before med school, great. If you think they're going to check a box for you, then don't. Better to put your time into local community service and clinical activities.
Also a Fulbright would postpone your app cycle for an additional year or more. Not necessarily a bad thing, just sayin'.
Good luck!

My focus in undergrad was international health and that's definitely an area I'd like to pursue. Not trying to check a box, but am worried my application will look weak if I express an interest in something I haven't actively participated in within the last few years (though I did grow up overseas and had several experiences in high school and college that led to a strong interested in international health).

Thank you! What's your story? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@kraskadva thank you so much! :)
Will do. I am signed up for a BR prep course & will follow SN2ed plan to fill in weak areas. Any suggestions on following SN2ed's plan while taking a prep course?
SN2ed has a pretty good outline. Personally I did a modified version with AAMC materials/textbooks/free prep materials I could scrape together since I couldn't afford the prep courses or books. Do a google search for the AAMC practice tests. If you can find the old paper "R" versions, after you scandalously download them, you'll see that they're about half again as long as the current versions. This is a great resource since a) you have more questions to practice with and b) if you start with those as your full lengths, you'll have better stamina when you get to the newer ones online.
Practice tests are your friends; AAMC material is gold, don't waste it; always go back over a practice test the next day and figure out why you answered the way you did, this will help you address your weakness more than anything.
My focus in undergrad was international health and that's definitely an area I'd like to pursue. Not trying to check a box, but am worried my application will look weak if I express an interest in something I haven't actively participated in within the last few years (though I did grow up overseas and had several experiences in high school and college that led to a strong interested in international health).
Cool, but it still kinda sorta sounds like you want to check a box. Dunno where you are, but if you're anywhere near a major city you can often find the same healthcare issues in play among the urban poor and immigrant populations as you would in any foreign country. Same focus, same interests, minus plane fare. That said, if you're gung ho to go, then go. Do something, anything that you're passionate about and that will show the best side of you.
Thank you! What's your story? :)
You're welcome :) Short story: Philosophy UG (terrible gpa), >5 years teaching English internationally, 2 (starting 3) years of post-bacc and applying this cycle. There are more details on here if you want to look them up.

I am considering: volunteering or working with an international non-profit or social enterprise, scribing in the ER, applying for a Fulbright to conduct public health research in Asia.
!
Short term stints in international "medical missions" are viewed with a jaundiced eye to a great extent. I would recommend anything else (as previously noted by @kraskadva).

Reactions: 1 users
Short term stints in international "medical missions" are viewed with a jaundiced eye to a great extent. I would recommend anything else (as previously noted by @kraskadva).
this-gif.41158