Non-trads with foreign degrees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lazyluke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a British citizen with a UK degree and permanent residency in the US, applying for the 2014 academic cycle. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a British citizen with a UK degree and permanent residency in the US, applying for the 2014 academic cycle. Anyone else in a similar boat?
I did my undergrad abroad as well, but I had to do a post-bacc before I was eligible for US schools. Most don't consider people who haven't completed the pre-requisites in the US or Canada.If you haven't had any schooling in the US, it would be best to contact schools and find out what they have to say, especially since AMCAS doesn't verify foreign transcripts. All the best.

I did my undergrad abroad as well, but I had to do a post-bacc before I was eligible for US schools. Most don't consider people who haven't completed the pre-requisites in the US or Canada.If you haven't had any schooling in the US, it would be best to contact schools and find out what they have to say, especially since AMCAS doesn't verify foreign transcripts. All the best.

Thanks sk7, I love knowing that it has been done before. It's frustrating having something that could either be a nice piece of diversity to set you apart, or equally a red flag that could send you packing.

Fortunately, like you I am just about to complete my formal pre-med post-bac in Oakland, and so will have a number of US classes under my belt by the time I come to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

British citizen here too, but I have a degree from an African university. Did the pre-reqs again here. Applied to foreigner friendly schools.Have to research those. There are quite a few in the north east. So far 7 interviews and 3 acceptances. It is possible . Don't give up. Also I went to a CC. Not advocating it but just shows I had a combo of the most despised credits. foreign and CC.Should have done some online for good measure :). Good luck

Yep - had to every pre-req in US school even though I have advanced degree from here and my high school courses were more difficult than the college level courses here. So prepare yourself :). Buy the MSAR to look for friendly school. As long you are green card holder, you have same chance of matching as US citizen.

Good Luck! It certainly can be done.

British citizen here too, but I have a degree from an African university. Did the pre-reqs again here. Applied to foreigner friendly schools.Have to research those. There are quite a few in the north east. So far 7 interviews and 3 acceptances. It is possible . Don't give up. Also I went to a CC. Not advocating it but just shows I had a combo of the most despised credits. foreign and CC.Should have done some online for good measure :). Good luck

Many thanks for your inspiring success story, and congrats!

hi everyone
I also have my bachelors degree from an African university and just became a permanent resident of the us, been confused about how to apply to med schl and this has helped a whole lot. But are community colleges credits an option?

Did you, guys, complete 90 undergraduate U.S. credits as well, besides the prerequisites? I am almost done with prereqs. but still have 40 credit hrs to complete...

Did you, guys, complete 90 undergraduate U.S. credits as well, besides the prerequisites? I am almost done with prereqs. but still have 40 credit hrs to complete...
No, i didn't. I did about 56 which included the prereqs

hi everyone
I also have my bachelors degree from an African university and just became a permanent resident of the us, been confused about how to apply to med schl and this has helped a whole lot. But are community colleges credits an option?

They are an option but a last resort option. It does limit you.

I am also in a similar situation. Does anyone know what becomes of our foreign GPA? Is it totally disregarded by medical schools, and only the credits in america count?

I only scored an average 3.0 overseas (steep upward trend however), so would the US credits completely override foreign GPA?

That would be great!
Thanks

Your foreign GPA does not count.
They will look at your American courses and grades and judge you thus far, but once you get an interview your foreign college experiences become interesting talking point if you can tie it with medicine and your drive to be a doctor.

I had to list my Euro courses, credits and grades, order and evaluate my transcripts, but for purposes of pre-requisites and required BS/90 hours I used courses I took at a local CC and Craptastic State University.

Word of a wise, make sure to evaluate your credits before you get acceptance, it's a bitch otherwise.

Does anyone have a list of foreign-indergrads-friendly Medical Schools? That would be highly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user