NonTrad Student Starting Out Needs Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Rydaddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 30 years old with an undergraduate and masters degree in Civil Engineering. I have been in the work field for the past 4.5 years and have decided that this career path is not for me. I have a lot of dental work done this past year and have become facinated by it. I have decided to walk away from a very well paying job that I thought I wanted and journey down the path of becoming a dentist but have some concerns on getting accepted

1) My undergraduate gpa was a 2.95 but my graduate gpa was a 3.87. What will this do for me if none of these grad classes had anything to do with the field of dentistry?

2) The only prereqs that I did as an undergrad were the Gen Chem series (B and C+) and the half the Physics series (C-). Obviously not stellar. I have a bunch of prereqs still needed but will I need to retake these classes because of the low grades? Will they look down on not retaking them being that it was 10 years ago that I did without having this path in mind at the time??

3) I may have to take some prereqs through a Comm College. Will the admissions board look down on this? I know some schools don't accept them but do those that do look skeptically at them?

I appreciate all the advice I can get. This is a pretty big leap!

Members don't see this ad.

This thread will move to the pre-dental forum im sure...

However to answer your questions.... There is absoloutly nothing wrong with your situation. I was in a similar situation back in 2006 when I decided to push for dentistry. My initial undergrad GPA was 3.0 and unlike you, I had no masters (Undergrad = computer science).

Like you, I had very minimal pre-dental courses done (only physics 1 and 2)..... so what I did (and also what you should do) is to start taking post-bacc courses at a university preferably not communit college because some dental schools have issues with community college courses.

Best thing you can do right now is just enroll into an undergrad institute and just take the rest of your pre-dental requirements (these courses will be considered "post-bacc"). Because your a bit older and concidered "non-trad".... many schools will like to see you take some upper level sciences as well on top of your typical pre-dents.... example of upper level = biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, histology, anatomy, etc etc.

Hope this answers your questions, good luck to ya

Welcome to SDN my friend, good to have you. You are not alone in your boat - there are many untrads around here asking the same questions as yourself. My advice to you is to peruse the predent forums, put a good ten hours in - especially look at the stickies. Make yourself a spreadsheet, research the offerings at your local, inexpensive state school, decide if you want to do your pre reqs while working, and get cracking.

Im an untrad, just started pre reqs this past january. Ive done some good research and mapped out my path. Please PM me throughout your months of predentalhood with any questions or concerns. Im in your corner.

Steve

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. D wrx, have you started applying or gotten in anywhere yet??

I worked as an engineer for 4 years before deciding to switch to dentistry. I took my remaining pre-req's at a university the past 2 years while continuing to work. I applied when I was 26, I'm 27 now, and I start at U Mich this July. So, feel free to PM with any questions! I understand what you're going through.
It is possible you will have to retake any of those pre-reqs because of how long ago you originally took them. Some schools don't accept grades that were taken 7 or 8 years ago, so make sure you clarify that with schools first.
The best thing I did was set up a meeting with people in the admissions dept at a few dental schools. They went through my transcript, showed me what counted/what didn't and what I'd need to still take.
As it was mentioned earlier, you need to have a plan. These boards have great info...

Start studying for the DAT ASAP. I also have two degrees and my GPA is pretty much set. How many hundreds of college credit hours do you already have? The DAT score is where you can make up for a lower GPA.

Definately take A&P and Micro. Don't take community college courses if you can help it.

If I were you I would look into dental volunteer opportunities where your skills as an engineer could be utilized. I've heard that some dental mission groups welcome non-healthcare professionals to go with them to remote villages. Someone needs to haul the gear and if you can fix something too they would love you.