Nontraditional Path CUNY undergrad vs Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makiton1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go to medical school however, my path will be nontraditional. I graduated from a nursing school (BSN) in the Philippines and I moved back to the US. Yes I am an american citizen.

I know that I would need atleast 90 credits from an american accredited institution for me to be even be competitive enough to enter medical school here. I also know that the classes I took in the Philippines will not be considered. So basically I have to start from the beginning.

Now I am considering doing another 4 year undergraduate degree to fulfill my requirements for my 90 credits but then I thought of something...

Can I do a post bacc program and a masteral degree, instead of a 4 year undergrad, to fulfill both my science courses and the 90 credit requirement?

I would like to know, taking another 4 year degree or a masteral and a post bacc, which would be the better option?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You'll need an UG degree for starters, so why not simply do the UG? If you excel, then there's no need for the MS or post-bac.

I want to go to medical school however, my path will be nontraditional. I graduated from a nursing school (BSN) in the Philippines and I moved back to the US. Yes I am an american citizen.

I know that I would need atleast 90 credits from an american accredited institution for me to be even be competitive enough to enter medical school here. I also know that the classes I took in the Philippines will not be considered. So basically I have to start from the beginning.

Now I am considering doing another 4 year undergraduate degree to fulfill my requirements for my 90 credits but then I thought of something...

Can I do a post bacc program and a masteral degree, instead of a 4 year undergrad, to fulfill both my science courses and the 90 credit requirement?

I would like to know, taking another 4 year degree or a masteral and a post bacc, which would be the better option?

Thanks in advance

I thought because since I already had an Undergrad degree, it would be alright to fulfill the 90 credit requirement with a masters and a post bacc..

but thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.