~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What constitutes a non-traditional student?

anyone who didn't go in a straight path from high school to medical school.

The vast majority of incoming students took 4 years of college then matriculated the year they graduated into a medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just turned 36 (happy birthday to me!) and don't feel old at all! (Actually I didn't feel old at all...until I noticed I've got most of you non-trads beat by almost 10 years. :eek:)

3 kids.
1 marriage (12th anniversary later this month).
1 dog.
1 mortgage.
Work PT, school PT, stay with the kids PT, volunteer PT (probably too much, but I like the positions).

Applying next month. :xf:

I'm in the same boat as you, crafty.

36 years old, married for ten years.

2 kids (6 & 4)
15 year career as a software training consultant
Mortgage, 2 cars (1 is paid for) a TON of credit card debt accrued while laid off for a year in 2008.

Finally at the point in my life that I feel as if I'm prepared to answer my true purpose.
Starting med school in August, about two weeks before I turn 37.

I've got the best wife in the world, which is how I have the confidence to start this journey. She's an amazing woman, and I have the next four years to come up with some way to show her how fantastic she is.

Members don't see this ad :)
24 in 2 days....

Applying when I'm 25 but have no idea when I'll actually get in.

Turning 22 this summer. Yea I know I'm still young but I'm a single mom of a 5 year old awesome little girl so I'm def somewhat of a "nontrad"
Did CC and got my Associate's, then went to a senior college and just got my Bachelors.
Worked a little more than part-time (3 jobs, lol) all throughout college.
:)

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you, crafty.

36 years old, married for ten years.

2 kids (6 & 4)
15 year career as a software training consultant
Mortgage, 2 cars (1 is paid for) a TON of credit card debt accrued while laid off for a year in 2008.

Finally at the point in my life that I feel as if I'm prepared to answer my true purpose.
Starting med school in August, about two weeks before I turn 37.

I've got the best wife in the world, which is how I have the confidence to start this journey. She's an amazing woman, and I have the next four years to come up with some way to show her how fantastic she is.

:thumbup:

Congrats on making it, and good luck!

I'm 22... so it may sound weird saying I'm a non trad based on age but I've got 2 children, a wife and own a wood working business while finishing up school.

I'll be applying for Fall 2013 so I'll be going on 24.

I am kind of I the same boat....I am 23 applying for fall of 2013 but I have a house, 3 kids (3,2, and 11months), and a husband. So I am mom/wife/student/volunteer...busy but I love it!!

30, married 2 yrs, starting med school this summer. No kids (unless you count a needy puppy), yet.

Just grateful and happy to finally have gotten an acceptance and start on this path. Husband is in IT, so hoping he can get a job in the new location!

It will be quite a journey...

Married for 6+ years
Come from firefighting/EMS
2 kids
lots of debt but achieving my dream career

31, Married for 7+ years to my amazing wife, 2 kids (2.5 & 2 WEEKS!), 1 active dog

I'm a recovering CPA, spent 7 years in public accounting (screw you busy season!). Moving into working part time so I can hammer out my courses full time. I'll either working for one organization or pick up a few clients.

I'm actually planning to go down the physical therapy path but can't get med school out of my head so we're keeping an open mind. Many of the prerecs are similar and I'm shadowing both. I'll make a final decision by the end of the year. Working two years sooner (1 yr less of prerecs & school, respectively) and no residency is certainly tempting. Since there's no nontrad PT forum, I like to read through here a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
23 and applying in June; will be 24 in August. Basically had too much fun in undergrad and finished with a horrible GPA followed by a year of doing absolutely nothing because I was in denial about my GPA. Spent the last year doing some GPA rebuilding and working full time. Hoping for a DO acceptance this cycle!

38, just finishing my first year as an undergrad freshman. Yes, I made it so far without going to college. I was concerned about how I'll fit in college but it is not too bad, actually.

I had no idea you were a non trad!

i'm 29, married for almost 7 years in july , i have a wonderful 6 y.o daughter.I'm applying in july to medical school..i'm registered to take an onsite KAPLAN course for the MCAT...2.5 months to study because i'm now finishing my post bac...any advice outther for me

Haven't posted in this one for awhile. 32, married, working full-time hours, school full time and volunteering as a Paramedic since I came home from Iraq. Applying this June and taking the MCAT in August. Good luck to all the other non-trads applying this year let's continue encouraging all the others coming up behind us. :)

I'm 34, I will be 35years old when I start medical school.

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using SDN Mobile

26. FWIW one of the tourguides I had at an interview day said he performed better in the classroom following the birth of his daughter compared to before they found out they were pregnant. Time management is key and where the older crowd tends to have an advantage.

Will matriculate at 30 (though I turn 31 in September). Married 4.5 years and no kids, but sure to have dogs.:laugh: Planning to buy a house this summer before school starts. . . . Made the decision to pursue this at 28 and rushed to apply that summer. No Luck so continued to pump up my app and applied the next round (with a rockstar MCAT and much more confidence!).

Glad I am doing it now after several years of travel, living abroad, etc. I am a MUCH better student now, my goal is clear and nothing can get in my way except posting on SDN and watching YouTube videos.

My Advice: Persistence, Confidence, Sincerity. And steer clear of well-intentioned anti-mentors. :luck:

Hello all. I'm 35, a husband, and a father of 5 boys. I will take my MCAT on July 14th and see what happens. I'll be applying this summer as well. Good luck everyone.

A mortgage is my only debt. I'm currently on track to apply next spring for class of 2014.

Last edited:
I'm 29, 30 in September. Engaged, no kids, though I'm female and might want to have a baby before I get started (seems easier than during). I'm taking the MCAT a week from tomorrow- ack! Hope to apply this coming cycle.

I'll be 29 this year. Very poor showing in undergrad, spent the past 3 years in the EMR world, now looking to find something more fulfilling and stable.

Planning to take a couple biology/chemistry courses this fall and begin preparing for MCAT/DAT, not sure which as of right now. Trying to make the decision soon. I took the MCAT previously but it expired (29).

I'm 28 and if I get in to medical school this cycle, I'll be 30 when I start school. I'm a marine wife, soon to be mom, and a PhD candidate in plant biology (theoretical)--no I am not going to finish it. I am so ready to switch to the clinical side of science.

After six years in the military I thought I would be too old to go to med school. After talking with numerous residents and students at the hospital I work at, they assured me that I was still young and to go for it.

I am 27, applying at 28, hopefully starting school when I am 29. Married for 6 years, no kids, 2 rowdy dogs and a house that seems to keep me busy with fixing things.

It was told me about a year and has stuck with me ever since - Doesn't matter what age you are when you finish med school and residency, you're going to be that age regardless, might as well be a physician. :idea:

I am 37 who are still working on per-requirsit courses. I will be ready for applying around 38-39. If I can get into the medical school I would be 42-43 and finish residency around 45.

Some one always depress me about my age that I am too old for studying. Even though, I can work as the doctor I still cannot long working. They said my health might not support me. I know I am getting older but I am doing quite well in the school. I almost made all of A. So, I will not give up just I am getting older. I think it will better than I cannot do anything then getting older.

Am I correct?

I am 37 who are still working on per-requirsit courses. I will be ready for applying around 38-39. If I can get into the medical school I would be 42-43 and finish residency around 45.

Some one always depress me about my age that I am too old for studying. Even though, I can work as the doctor I still cannot long working. They said my health might not support me. I know I am getting older but I am doing quite well in the school. I almost made all of A. So, I will not give up just I am getting older. I think it will better than I cannot do anything then getting older.

Am I correct?

Age is a state of mind. I know kids who are 15-16 years old that are more mature than people who are 40-50 years old. My grandpa is 82 years old and still goes skiing and walks 18 holes every weekend. Then there are people who are in their 20's who live very unhealthy lives (eat poorly, don't exercise) who can barely walk. Last semester my lab partner in organic was a non trad; 29 years old and I didn't even know it until half way through the semester when it came up in conversation. I honestly cant tell the difference between him and a senior. Assuming you're healthy, age is only a factor if you let it be. If this is something you really want and you feel you're up for the challenge then go for it and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

23 in 2 days. 25 when I start med school (if I get accepted:xf:). Married. No kids. Former Air Force enlisted medic (4yrs AD) turned AFROTC cadet/pre-med student.

I am 52 and will be starting my first year of med school this fall. I did not start the process of going to medical school until I was 50. (Then it was taking classes, studying for the MCAT, interviews, ect., and yes, many people thought I had lost my mind doing this at MY age, including me at times.) All of you are alot younger, so if I can do, then it is possible!!!!!

You are my hero

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using SDN Mobile

I just turned 25... I intend to matriculate before I'm 30, and practice before I'm 40. I'm going to age anyway, might as well do it doing what I enjoy!

Doesn't matter what age you are when you finish med school and residency, you're going to be that age regardless, might as well be a physician. :idea:

LOVE IT! Just stole this and put it on my fb :)

I'm 25, "soon" to be divorced with a 7yr old and an almost 2yr old. I was in and out of school for a while, joined the military and played house for a bit. Finally took a look at my life and realized I am not happy with where I am. I start classes Mon to continue with my undergrad. Since I've changed majors again- Spanish and International Business- I've got another three years of school left spacing it out with enough time to be a mom, work part time, fulfill my reserve requirements, and get the lab/clinical experience I need. I'm more than thrilled with the path I've chosen.

Anyone else a non-trad looking at the MD/PhD route? My interest in science is what got me interested in medicine. Still weighing the pros and cons.

Dear Members of SDN,

My name is Ryan (I'm 22) and I am a Senior at the University of Iowa. I'm currently earning a degree in arts management and a certificate in entrepreneurial management. I also work for the College of Dentistry in the Instrument Processing Room.

Although, I am not your typical health science student, this idea of becoming a dentist/doctor has haunted me since I was a child. I've taken many science courses in high school and had excelled in all but when I came to the UI, it became a different story. Not knowing what I wanted to do with my life, I started out as a social work major and realized that yes, I would be helping people but I could only do so much. Then I thought about switching to the nursing program at the UI and quickly found out how difficult the program was.

Then, I decided to become a business major and surely enough started a record label. I suddenly realized that by starting my own business it required more education than I already had and more money than I could afford which brings me to now and why I am talking to you.

Having the distinct honor and privilege of being raised by doctors in the hospital and loving parents in the home, I feel that it is my calling in life to become a dentist or a doctor. Because I was born with cleft lip and cleft palate, my philosophy on life is this, if my parents can afford to give me a smile, then I can do so for others (children and adults in North America and third world countries). I love people with a passion and cannot see myself doing anything else.

What can I say, I love to learn. If I didn't love to learn, then I would have never went to college, most importantly, I would have never attended lecture.

With that being said, I would love to talk with each and everyone of you and see where this journey might take me. I invite you to come along for the ride, it should be fun!

Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this. I hope you have a superb weekend.

I look to hear from you sooner rather than later.

Sincerely,

Ryan

P.S. Although I may not be that intelligent, I am a diligent worker who perseveres through every obstacle thrown in his way. I ask you kindly, please help me learn as much as I can so that I am ready for what God has to throw at me next.

Posted in here before, but I'm a post ***** so whatever.

24 in August!

I'm turning 21 in September, just finished a BFA last March. Planning on taking a Post-bacc in September 2013. I'm moving to the US in a few months(I'm on a petition and will get permanent residency, don't worry). I want to be either a neurologist or a general surgeon, and I've been taking notes from this forum and a couple more sources for a few months now. The low GPA thread has given me a buttload of hope since my courses were graded subjectively, as opposed to standardized courses and didn't do too well. I didn't have any science courses in college so my sGPA is a blank slate.

I told my dad about my schooling plans, and he's still a bit naggy about my useless art degree(that he paid for in full), and keeps asking me why I didn't major in Biology instead. He made it clear that he won't be able to contribute anything though(a buttload of health problems and surgeries chipped off a significant amount of the family money, plus the hefty immigration costs).

Last edited:
:hello: Hi all!

I'm 29, married, no kids, just a high maintenance cat.

I went straight into the workforce after high school and spent 8 years in emergency medicine.

I just graduated with my bachelor's and now I'm waiting for my MCAT scores to roll in (took it June 21st). I am taking the D.O. path because I love it! The first hospital I worked at was a big D.O. hospital so I've had a lot of exposure to it and was really sold on the philosophy.

Glad to meet you all! It's nice to meet others who are like me. :)

Just turned 31, married, no kids, an elderly pup who's actually part of my application b/c he's a therapy dog at the hospital. Career in pharma research, BS/MS finished in 2005, and postbacc work in the last year or so. Lots of volunteering with two orgs: one clinical and one community. Took MCAT in 2010 while working full-time and I don't recommend it. I'm grateful to not have needed to retake.

The goal is to be an attending by 40 and my dream specialty is emergency medicine, so I'm still on track even if I don't matriculate this year.

To answer the OP about how I retain stuff... I'm a better student now than ever, actually, just because my work ethic is a lot more developed than it was when I was an undergrad. I also dealt with massive family financial collapse as a UG and it impacted my grades heavily, so I'm actually doing what I did as an undergrad: working, school, ECs. This time, though, I'm doing it a lot better.

26, will be 27 in September. Married 4 years. One child, 3 years old in 2 weeks. :eek: I have a craptastic gpa (2.69) to work on, and tons of Ws and an F or two to battle. If all goes well, I will matriculate by age 31. :xf:

So excited about working on this dream and slamming out an amazing gpa. The idea of proving a few people wrong, also suits me. :D

26, will be 27 in September. Married 4 years. One child, 3 years old in 2 weeks. :eek: I have a craptastic gpa (2.69) to work on, and tons of Ws and an F or two to battle. If all goes well, I will matriculate by age 31. :xf:

So excited about working on this dream and slamming out an amazing gpa. The idea of proving a few people wrong, also suits me. :D
WOO HOO! Do it girl!

I am 27 and will be starting Pre-Med this year. I plan to be out of pre-med into med school at 32, done with med school 36-37, out of residency at 40-41.

I have a 2 year old and a wife.
My son will be 14-15 years old before I am out of residency.

I don't give it a second thought. My family’s life will be better for it, my sons future will be better for it and I will be doing something worthwhile with my life.

I'm 28. Took the MCAT 5/31/12. And currently working on my application. Also have an M.Ed. Glad I found my group!

33 at the moment 35 when I start med school(if all goes well). 12 years married and 2 kids, 5 and 1 years old. MCAT next summer currently have a 3.93 with 60 hours to go.

33+ yo., married, no kids. <3.0 GPA from undergrad. Applied broadly to MD/DO this year.

33 at the moment 35 when I start med school(if all goes well). 12 years married and 2 kids, 5 and 1 years old. MCAT next summer currently have a 3.93 with 60 hours to go.

Nerd.

Married 25 yr old no kids. Will be 26 when I apply and 27 when I start med school. 3.74 overall GPA, 4.0 sGPA taking post-bac classes and MCAT this year.

Just turned 27, hopefully 28 when I start!! Is that too old lol???:)