~NonTraditionals~: Ages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dancinRN1022 wrote
hey

I am a 24 yrs old RN working in the ER... I have a BS in Biology/ Dance 2003 and a BS in Nursing 2004....

Hey it's good to see another nurse on here! I think more doctors should work as nurses first!

I'm 28 and hopefully I'll get into veterinary school by 2012-2013. First I'm working on bringing up my GPA and earning my ASN-RN. I'm an LPN working in LTC at the moment. Need a better paying job so that I don't have to borrow $100K + in loans. I am more motivated and focused now than I was before nursing school. Too bad the vo-tech GPA doesn't count toward anything!

~Kelly

Members don't see this ad.

hey

I am a 24 yrs old RN working in the ER... I have a BS in Biology/ Dance 2003 and a BS in Nursing 2004....

I'm not married and I don't have kids...but I do have a wonderful boyfriend who is super supportive and went through this whole process (he's a fourth year resident/fellow)... I thought I was almost too "mature" to start this now....because I will be 26 (hopefully) when I start medical school... but I love reading how successful everyone has been...good luck to everyone!!!!

hey dancin nurse, you're definitely not too "mature." Sound like you will be doing just fine. I'm a nurse as well. I take it you are applying for matriculation in 2008? I am shooting for 2009, i think.

dancinRN1022 wrote

Hey it's good to see another nurse on here! I think more doctors should work as nurses first!

I'm 28 and hopefully I'll get into veterinary school by 2012-2013. First I'm working on bringing up my GPA and earning my ASN-RN. I'm an LPN working in LTC at the moment. Need a better paying job so that I don't have to borrow $100K + in loans. I am more motivated and focused now than I was before nursing school. Too bad the vo-tech GPA doesn't count toward anything!

~Kelly

Make that three nurses.

Members don't see this ad :)

Went from I.T. field, currently in an ADN nursing program, and now decided to go for it. Hopefully, I'll be about 30-31 with my prereqs done.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who may have thought about the age situation. The way I see it, I would love to be in my death bed and know that I did something worthwhile.

Added 7-1-07:

Actually, I went from I.T. Field, CNA (homehealth, Acute, and longterm), Telemetry Tech Cert., EMT-B Certified, currently in ADN program, and now decided to go all the way. I know it took me a while to decide, but I don't regret it one bit. Every class, clinical session, and study time helped me get a broad understanding about medicine.

I think I qualify as a non-traditional now...25 years old and working as an Instructor and Public Health intern...

39 going on 22... I can still run with the best of them but yep I'm an Old man but not even close to being the oldest from what I've seen.. I'm just on the upper tilt of the scale.

I'm 21 years old and have realized through my junior year of college that I want to pursue medicine. So I'll be taking an additional year of non-degree work. I think that sort of sets me apart and puts me on the non-traditional course. :D

Sorry .. not that it matters DrAlex but you're a traditional... Most college students these days take 5 years to complete an undergrad degree anyway.

Not that it matters any but you are very much so.. a trad.

Good luck.

I have read every post (in this thread) here thus far. Outstanding! Good Luck to all! ;)

I'm 25 and I felt old (i'm starting MS1 in the fall).... but I am one of the youngest on this forum... I still feel like it will be another lifetime til I start as a professional...

I'm 25 and I felt old (i'm starting MS1 in the fall).... but I am one of the youngest on this forum... I still feel like it will be another lifetime til I start as a professional...

I think you'll feel like a professional your first residency year. You just
won't be getting paid like one ;)

I wanted to know what the distribution of ages are on this forum, specifically the ages of the "nontraditional" ones.

Myself, I am 28.

For those that are older, what advice is there to maintain focus and attention/retention in your studies? I can only guess health and perhaps related to some genetic/family history.

I am 45 finishing my pre med requirements....Aloha from Hawaii!!!

I'm 76 years old.

The professor: "....so as you see here the mitochondria are influenced by negative feedback....."

Me: What!!!

The professor: "...negative feedback sir...."

Me: What!!!!!

and so on.

If anybody looks at me funny I just start swinging my cane wildly. So they leave me alone.

Im old school like that. That's how I roll.

Members don't see this ad :)
34 and looking to apply at 36

I turn 34 in three weeks. I am married and happy, though, and most people are surprised to find out how old I am - even the 19-yr-olds who sit next to me in class!

37 but with a birthday this month (yikes!). If all goes according to plan I'll matriculate at age 40.

31 going on 32. I am married with 2 kids, 14 and 11. Second year of applying to med schools and still waiting to hear back from a couple. Been through a lot in my short life but I don't let it get me down. Don't give up, I still have hope!

37 with 2 small children. I will apply for 2009, which means I will be 39 when I start! Currently I am a dentist and my back and hands can't take it much more.

Best of luck to everyone.

pete

25...will be 27 when i get into med school!!

Currently 26 and in the business world (sales)... applying to med school this cycle and will be 27 when I start.

Big 30!!!:D Single mother of a 9 yr old!!! Currently I am a surgical assistant that just finished my Bach in Biotechnology....going back for more!!!
To all of those that have kids... don't let them tell you it can't be done!!!:luck:

I realized I needed to go back to school when I was 28 and found myself sobbing everyday on the way to work -- as an insurance agent, you would cry too -- I started at community college, took algebra over again, because I knew I'd eventually need Calculus and I didn't remember a thing from Junior High. 3 years later after catching up on the math, doing some of the science pre-reqs, and all the GE stuff, I transfered my local University. Was accepted to do a combined B.S./M.PH, so I just graduated four years later, at 35. I will be 35 when I start med school in the fall...and 39 when I graduate.

And, I am so glad I did it/am doing it. I would have shrunk into nothing watching my life pass me by in that insurance office.

My numbers were average, my intangibles were, well, non-traditional. It can be done.

~Happiness isn't a feeling to be captured; it's a decision to be made~~~

I'm 26 years old, will be 27 in November. I just got married two weeks ago and I have a Boston Terrier puppy (and if you think pets can't get in the way of studying, you should spend time with my demanding doggy!!!).

I actually started medical school last fall after working for a couple years as a geneticist, but my Mom came out of remission of pancreatic cancer and I took a leave of absence to spend time with her. She passed away last November, four days after my birthday. I have been spending the last year working in different areas, trying to decide if I should go for medicine or maybe I should teach, or who knows what? My life felt very confused after the loss of my Mom (we were very close) and I wasn't sure I could face the trials of medical school with this grief, and without her.

In the beginning of 2007 I applied for a job as a clinical research coordinator, not really knowing what the job would be like, but knowing that it sounded interesting and that it would give me some more exposure to the world of medicine to help me decide on my career. I got the job, and I've loved it. It has given me so much experience, and has taught me so many things. I work in a hospital so I get to do patient visits (with a doctor of course), I get to scour the ER for new admits, I've learned how to draw blood, I've learned about the different labs done, I get to flip through charts to learn about patient's med histories and physicals, I've learned about diseases and antibiotics...and I even get to be on call hehe. It's a really neat experience, and I really love being in the hospital working with doctors, and especially with the patients. Sometimes it is hard work (nothing compared to being a real doctor, of course) but it is really satisfying.

The hardest, for me, is working with the cancer patients. We lost one of our patients to renal cancer, and it hit me so hard. And I see patients with jaundice and brings back terrible memories since my Mom's cancer went to her liver and she was so jaundiced. Overall, it has been a positive experience though, and I look forward to starting school again.

just turned 28, but look like im 18. I got my hair cut the other day and the lady cutting my hair asked what high school i was attending.

I'm 26 with the same- always asked if I'm using my mom's credit card to buy stuff!
30 when I start med school (MCAT willing) :)

I'm also 28 about to be 29 in a couple months. I really want to encourage you to keep the dream alive. I had this dream years ago and took a very convoluted way, but I just accepted a place in the class of 2011. So many ppl said it was a waste of time (I am a NP). I didn't listen to them. Don't succumb to the pressure. Do what you feel you need to do.

Could you tell me more aout NP?
I can't figure out the scope of work difference between an NP and MD-
I'm thinking about NICU - so NNP or Neonatologist
any thoughts from a NP turned med student would be so appreciated!

32. 33 in a month. This spring, I was refused alcohol at a bar, because the guy thought my ID was faked, somehow. I had to show him pictures of me with my husband and kids. :rolleyes: And, no.... the lights were definitely on.
I can also tell a story about a classmate of mine that didn't know I had kids after spending two years of classes with me. I definitely talked about picking up the kids, the cost of daycare... I didn't hide it. She just didn't listen when I talked, I guess.

Truth74

I'm 28 with a child about to be 7 years old! Just starting back to school as a returning Freshman this Fall. I'm going to be working part-time at my current job where I'm a graphic artist & computer tech. We are about to move in with a friend in order to cut living costs in half. We are moving next weekend and I start back school in 4 1/2 weeks!:)

I'm 38... 39 this Fall. Will probably be 40 or 41 before I start.

Just wanted to add that the desire doesn't go away. When I was 25, I started taking my post-bac courses, but right at the end I decided to take the easy out and got my MBA. (Couldn't imagine how I'd have kids, have a life as a 30-something year old med student and resident.) Well, fast forward 13 years, desire to be a physician hasn't changed... only thing that's different is now I do have 3 kids (all under 4) and have to retake most of my post-bac courses as the grades are too old.

There's part of me that says... just do a PA program... but I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. Some of the better PA programs are 3 years and heck, med school is only an additional year.

27 1/2 glad i'm not alone. Will be 30 or 31 went i get in (hopefully) to med school.

Just started third year of DO. I'm 39. The oldest person in my class was 47 the year we started.

I'm a 38-year-old mother of four. I hope to matriculate when I'm 40. :hardy:

I'm 24, will be 25 in Nov.. I'm starting the application process for Vet School this fall. I have 2 small children, and my husband and I are currently raising his 12 year old brother. My husband is in the Marine Corps reserve, and just can't seem to stay with the drilling-once-a-months-and-2-week-summer-AT routine. ;) He's always taking one month here or 3 months there for various schools and training exercises (He was deployed over this past winter, actually). This fall, he starts Officer Candidate Course, and provided there are no injuries that keep him from graduating, the kids and I will be moving down to be with him for the subsequent training--with the hope that come Aug/Sept I'll have to move the kids and I again to wherever I'll be attending Vet School. I'm currently working in a Biomedical Research lab as a Research Assistant.

Anyway, I guess that turned into more of an "intro" post than just telling you my age. Sorry.

I am a 35 year old acupuncturist and professor of Chinese Medicine, starting back to take all my pre-reqs and likely applying 2009 or 2010.

Zhang Ji

I am a 35 year old acupuncturist and professor of Chinese Medicine, starting back to take all my pre-reqs and likely applying 2009 or 2010.

Awesome! Go for it! I think med schools are going to LOVE you.

I'm 24 (be 25 next month), 1 wife, 0 kids. BS-PhD in Math. I'm out of the AF in May and going back FT next summer for postbac. I'm shooting for 2009 or 2010 start date too.

My wife is also 25 with a B.S. in Math. She's applying for SMPs starting next summer/fall as well. Same start date hopes.

Good luck guys!:thumbup:

Awesome! Go for it! I think med schools are going to LOVE you.

Wow! That's my first post here, and I really appreciate such a warm welcome and encouraging words.

Wow! That's my first post here, and I really appreciate such a warm welcome and encouraging words.

:) Don't get too used to it! There are a lot of folks on SDN who will (intentionally or otherwise) try to cut you down. Watch out for pre-allo, especially. 18-24 year olds know everything - just ask them! :laugh: And don't take anything from any individual (including me) too seriously.

:) Don't get too used to it! There are a lot of folks on SDN who will (intentionally or otherwise) try to cut you down. Watch out for pre-allo, especially. 18-24 year olds know everything - just ask them! :laugh: And don't take anything from any individual (including me) too seriously.

Thanks again. I know that one has to be old enough to know better. Confucius said it thus:

"At 15 I set my heart on learning; at 30 I firmly took my stand; at 40 I had no delusions; at 50 I knew the Mandate of Heaven; at 60 my ear was attuned; at 70 I followed my heart's desire without overstepping the boundaries of right."

i'm 25, hope to matriculate when i'm 28.....

I am 38 and currently applying to schools in TX. I have a husband, daughter (4) and son (20 months) in tow. I hope to start in 2008 and be forever 39. . . Good luck to all of us geezers!

Wow, I feel old. I will start medical school at 35 and finish my residency by 42 or so. Well, I am going to be 42 regradless, so might as well be 42 and enjoy what I'm doing or 42 and still teaching H.S. It could always be worse!

What a great attitude! Thats the way i percieve it myself. Better to do it now than look back 10 years later and say you wish you woulda coulda

I'll hopefully be 27 when i get in:)

i really enjoy reading all the encouraging words everyone has for each other, and learning about the different backgrounds everyone's coming from. i'm 24, finally made the plunge to go for med school this year after considering pharmacy and dentistry. worked as a pharm tech (are there any pharm techs here?), but i'm going to be a full time post bac student this fall. was planning on applying next year, but i think applying for matriculation in 2010 might be my best bet.

best wishes to everyone here :luck:

I am 40, father of a set of 2-year old triplets.
Have been working in software development since 1993.
Still need 1 Bio, 1 Physics, 2 O Chem for the presequisites, plan to write the MCAT in 2009.

I'm 29 but have been told I look about 22-23. Will be 30 when I matriculate. Took four years off between my pre-law related undergrad degree and post bacc work.

There's part of me that says... just do a PA program... but I'm not going to make the same mistake twice. Some of the better PA programs are 3 years and heck, med school is only an additional year.
Oh, I have this badly. Part of me thinks PA is logical, but my heart wants to be a doctor.

I really hope I get it figured out in the next two years.

Oh, yes, I'm 47, the crone of the board. I almost spewed my coffee when I read of young 20 somethings regarding themselves as nontraditionals.

That and you dear people who still measure your age in half-years.

I am 34...will be 35 in May. I have been a PA for 3.5 years. My wife is an OB/Gyn resident in her 2nd year. We met at TCOM where she was in medical school and I was in PA school. Interestingly enough, while in PA school we shared classes with medical students...took the same tests...etc. So, some of medical school will be a review but I feel that being older and having some clinical practice will make it much more appealing and interesting...although, I may be wrong about that. :)

24, working for two years in biomedical industry.

30. I am doing a post-bacc degree, and hope to get into med school by 2010! I wish everyone good luck and look forward to talking to everyone during their journey. This is one of the most intense, but the most exciting goal I have ever set for myself; and I am anxiously waiting for the fall semester already!:eek:

Wish everyone a great semester. :)

23 now. Ill be 24 when I apply, 25 when I enter (crossing my fingers) :luck:

I was 24 during my post bac, I am 25 now while applying to med school, and I will be 26 when I start (knock on wood)