Normality in dilutions vs titrations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeine jitters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am wondering why normality is not an issue in the regular dilution formula.
i.e: m1v1 = m2v2 versus n1m1v1 = n2m2v2​
I know that the first equation corresponds to a dilution, while the second corresponds to the equivalence point of a titration. I'm just confused as to why we don't have to worry about normality for a dilution.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You consider normality when doing titrations because the number of moles of acid or base you start with affect the amount of titrant that needs to be added. When doing regular dilution, you are working with only concentration, and normality doesn't affect concentration.

Reactions: 1 user
You consider normality when doing titrations because the number of moles of acid or base you start with affect the amount of titrant that needs to be added. When doing regular dilution, you are working with only concentration, and normality doesn't affect concentration.

Ah, makes sense. I knew I was making it more complex than it needed to be. Thanks for the help :)

Hey everyone,

I am wondering why normality is not an issue in the regular dilution formula.
i.e: m1v1 = m2v2 versus n1m1v1 = n2m2v2​
I know that the first equation corresponds to a dilution, while the second corresponds to the equivalence point of a titration. I'm just confused as to why we don't have to worry about normality for a dilution.

Thanks in advance!
Here is a nice simple rule of thumb that I teach my students......If you are doing a dilution problem, M1V1 =M2V2 works fine. The problem comes in when you have an acid or base with more than one H or OH such as in H2SO4 vs NaOH titration or equivalence point calculation. N1V1 = N2V2 will prevent you from an error. Remember that Normality is always greater or equal than Molarity. A 2.O M solution of H2SO4 is actually 4N. I have a few problems in Destroyer that nicely show this very important problem.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

Reactions: 2 users
Here is a nice simple rule of thumb that I teach my students......If you are doing a dilution problem, M1V1 =M2V2 works fine. The problem comes in when you have an acid or base with more than one H or OH such as in H2SO4 vs NaOH titration or equivalence point calculation. N1V1 = N2V2 will prevent you from an error. Remember that Normality is always greater or equal than Molarity. A 2.O M solution of H2SO4 is actually 4N. I have a few problems in Destroyer that nicely show this very important problem.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano

I will thumb back through destroyer and refresh on those topics.
As always, thanks for everything you do!

Reactions: 1 user