Titrations on DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaedb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the titration questions are like on the DAT? Bootcamp and Destroyer's titration problems seem quite simplistic compared to this one:

What volume of HCL was added if 20 mL of 1 M NaOH is titrated with 1 M HCL to produce a pH=2?

Members don't see this ad.

This chemistry problem seems to include more math than any of the practice problems that I have encountered during my DAT prep. I don't think you will see these types of calculation problems in the science section of the DAT.

Is the answer 20.4 mL perhaps?

I remember seeing similar question on Topscore Pro and DAT Achiever. It won't appear on the DAT but will solidify your stoichiometry concept:

At the point of neutralization, you already have 20 + 20 = 40 ml of solution.

The additional amount of HCl needed to produce a solution of pH 2 where [H+] = 0.01:

0.01 = x/(40 + x)
0.4 + 0.01x = x
x = 0.4

So Sean was correct. The answer is 20 + 0.4 = 20.4 ml

I remember seeing similar question on Topscore Pro and DAT Achiever. It won't appear on the DAT but will solidify your stoichiometry concept:

At the point of neutralization, you already have 20 + 20 = 40 ml of solution.

The additional amount of HCl needed to produce a solution of pH 2 where [H+] = 0.01:

0.01 = x/(40 + x)
0.4 + 0.01x = x
x = 0.4

So Sean was correct. The answer is 20 + 0.4 = 20.4 ml
Be very careful with DAT Achiever. They have been creating all these fake accounts and posts to self-promote their product. @Dmitry @gabtse @Wall2Wall are all accounts from 2010, 5 years ago, and all of a sudden are pushing DAT achiever super hard. I'd stick to Bootcamp and Destroyer