$#% Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If ever you get fed up with a Northwestern student, calmly and repeatedly refer to their school as NW.

An easier way is to refer to Southeastern University. Ask if they have a rivalry, ask if they lose at football, whatever. It doesn't elicit happiness from those NW students in need of a bit of ego deflation. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

IndyZX said:
in my day...

In my day people respected their elders.

i actually liked the early deadline, cuz it motivated me to finish the app. i have 10 other secondaries waiting to be filled out, with no deadlines anytime soon...i really need a kick in the butt to finish them :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
bakedlay said:
i actually liked the early deadline, cuz it motivated me to finish the app. i have 10 other secondaries waiting to be filled out, with no deadlines anytime soon...i really need a kick in the butt to finish them :laugh:

That's exactly how I was! Iwas glad they had a deadline otherwise I would have totally procrastinated! Seriously people, if you're spending time on SDN, you must have at least a little time to sit your as$ down, do a little reading on the NU website (or NW if you prefer ;) ) about their curriculum and type something up. It's a small "inconvenience" worth taking, and if you're going to have to do it, you might as well just get it done quickly and get it out of the way! And in terms of people not being friendly at NU, I'm sure there probably are some! But I'm sure every school has a few "gunners"--I know my undergraduate school had a few (although the majority were not). However, I've met many very friendly people at NU at second look and since then, and I am looking forward to seeing them again and meeting others this August.

IllinoisStudent said:
Typical NW (yea NW and not NU) attitude! Getting into NW ain't that hard. U get 30-32 on ur ACTs and u r in. If u have numbers, they don't even look at extra-curriculars (not that HS extra-curriculars count). Not everyone at NW is smart either. Every school produces its lot of dumba$$es.

What's with your attitude man? I have seen several threads from you hating on NU at every chance you get. They reject you or something way back? You met some dufus from the undergrad and then expect everyone that went there was the same way?

Getting into NU not hard? For whom? People with 32 on ACT's and in the top 5% of their high school class? LOL.

Come on man, get real. You have some real stick up your ass regarding NU. I have seen your posts--i.e. "the medical school only for rich kids" just because you saw the picture of the dean. I mean come on people. :laugh: It's scary thinking these may be the same people treating patients later on. No offense but you are acting like the very stereotype of someone who is jealous, for whatever reason. And no I didn't go to NU undergrad and didn't even apply so I'm not trying to defend "my school." IllinoisStudent you know if you could go to NU med you would, so stop hating for no reason.

And as for the other one or two haters in here, I can safely say that my interview experience at NU was among the best and the friends I made during it felt the same way. The group interview is MORE LAID BACK folks than personal interviews because you TALK WAY LESS. Remember that and repeat that to yourself many times until it sinks in.

And anyone who says they wouldn't want to go there is probably ignorant of the exceptionally progressive curriculum of low class time, and possibly the location which is one of the most desirable places to study medicine in the country. You can actually have a FULFILLING life outside of school which you can't say for many places (low class time coupled with being located in the heart of downtown Chicago). There is a reason why over 20% of all medical school applicants apply there (by their own stats). You don't have to love the school but there are a lot of reasons not to at least look down on it. We had a 12+ page thread about NU med going a few months ago and I didn't see one negative comment from anyone in there, and now all of a sudden we have a couple haters because they are too lazy to do the secondary which took me just a couple hours. You can look up PBL on the web site and do the secondary in less than a day's time. If that's too much for someone than they shouldn't go there--I mean, either you are lazy or you never really wanted to go there in the first place. Either way, if I were the admissions director I'd have to give you the clip.

BTW it also sounds like a couple people in here are ignorant of the fact that NU med is many miles away from the undergrad campus. NU med is in downtown Chicago. NU undergrad is in the Chicago burbs in Evanston.

chi1050

chi228

chi21

chi1008

chibeech2

prompoit

chi1551

chi1534

3136840-M.jpg

3137430-M.jpg

3137309-M.jpg

3137674-M.jpg

chi1302

chi1319

27234508.jpg

27234511.jpg

27234608.jpg

27234616.jpg

27234617.jpg

27234624.jpg

27234660.jpg

27234725.jpg

27234758.jpg

27234794.jpg

27234805.jpg

chi544

podgorski_kayak.jpg

4671chicago_1.jpg

chi541

chi243

chicago-skyline.jpg

Chicago.jpg

63b.jpg

chi104

chi230

chi250

chiskyclose.jpg

wow those pictures made me miss home so much....

These pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them!

Yeah I love chicago, its a great city....good news for anyone going to U of C, Loyola, NW, UIC, Rush, etc etc....

Hopefully, I will be heading to school there next fall...

at any of the chicago medical schools, don't care which.

i never knew chicago was such a beautiful city. thanks for the pictures!

ctwickman said:
What's with your attitude man? I have seen several threads from you hating on NU at every chance you get. They reject you or something way back? You met some dufus from the undergrad and then expect everyone that went there was the same way?

Getting into NU not hard? For whom? People with 32 on ACT's and in the top 5% of their high school class? LOL.

Come on man, get real. You have some real stick up your ass regarding NU. I have seen your posts--i.e. "the medical school only for rich kids" just because you saw the picture of the dean. I mean come on people. :laugh: It's scary thinking these may be the same people treating patients later on. No offense but you are acting like the very stereotype of someone who is jealous, for whatever reason. And no I didn't go to NU undergrad and didn't even apply so I'm not trying to defend "my school." IllinoisStudent you know if you could go to NU med you would, so stop hating for no reason.

And as for the other one or two haters in here, I can safely say that my interview experience at NU was among the best and the friends I made during it felt the same way. The group interview is MORE LAID BACK folks than personal interviews because you TALK WAY LESS. Remember that and repeat that to yourself many times until it sinks in.

And anyone who says they wouldn't want to go there is probably ignorant of the exceptionally progressive curriculum of low class time, and possibly the location which is one of the most desirable places to study medicine in the country. You can actually have a FULFILLING life outside of school which you can't say for many places (low class time coupled with being located in the heart of downtown Chicago). There is a reason why over 20% of all medical school applicants apply there (by their own stats). You don't have to love the school but there are a lot of reasons not to at least look down on it. We had a 12+ page thread about NU med going a few months ago and I didn't see one negative comment from anyone in there, and now all of a sudden we have a couple haters because they are too lazy to do the secondary which took me just a couple hours. You can look up PBL on the web site and do the secondary in less than a day's time. If that's too much for someone than they shouldn't go there--I mean, either you are lazy or you never really wanted to go there in the first place. Either way, if I were the admissions director I'd have to give you the clip.

BTW it also sounds like a couple people in here are ignorant of the fact that NU med is many miles away from the undergrad campus. NU med is in downtown Chicago. NU undergrad is in the Chicago burbs in Evanston.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
btw...ctwickman...were u at the bulls knicks game in jan(i think it was jan)? it was one of the first games after they traded for starbury. about 50 or so people from my class were at that game...we also got group tix to see lebron at the cavs-bulls game. nice to be able to have time for those things at NU.

good times. :D

i appreciate this thread, because i think i would really like the city of chicago, but are you guys serious about having free time during your first two years? ive heard that no matter, its hell, since you end up studying on your own from a textbook anyway.

IndyZX said:
i appreciate this thread, because i think i would really like the city of chicago, but are you guys serious about having free time during your first two years? ive heard that no matter, its hell, since you end up studying on your own from a textbook anyway.

Quite a few people i've talked to say 1st year at most schools is a great time. You don't have to be stuck reading the books the whole time... a little recreational time does a lot for studying later.

IndyZX said:

first year here is a walk in the park...

6 exams the whole year. 6 for the whole year!!!! out at noon 3 times a week!!! sometimes earlier if u bail on anatomy lab during certain units. 2 hours of lecture everyday. 2 hours!!!! the first month of school is like a month of partying and chilling. the rest of the year is laid back too. u can study the rest of the day and then have time to go out in the evenings. there are people in my class who have jobs. someone was a waiter at a local restaurant! someone in my class pursued a modeling gig at the end of the year! there is so much time to do whatever u wish at NU.

now second year? well...hmm...i'll tell u how my first month goes when school starts again in 2 weeks. i've heard from people in the class above me that second year is a little more complicated but can be just as chill if you manage your time effectively.

ctwickman said:

haha, do you go to UIC illinoisstudent? if you do, i totally understand why you are so angry :laugh:

I love my city =)

chicaco is a beautiful city, but its hella homogenius. not unexpected considering its in the midwest. for those of you who havent been, dont let the pretty skyscrapers fool you into believing its a "mini nyc". granted, chicago doesnt have random a$$ smells on the streets. its very, very...clean.

choocoman said:
chicaco is a beautiful city, but its hella homogenius. not unexpected considering its in the midwest. for those of you who havent been, dont let the pretty skyscrapers fool you into believing its a "mini nyc". granted, chicago doesnt have random a$$ smells on the streets. its very, very...clean.

I have a feeling you don't live here. Not only are there random smells everywhere, but I hear at least one new language almost every day walking down my street. Just because someone "looks white" doesn't mean they are not from another country you know--everytime I go to Ikea, for instance, literally MOST "white people" there are speaking some language I have never heard before. You can't judge a book by its cover, or just by a weekend visit, that's for sure. The only thing I agree with you is that it is indeed much cleaner than NYC--a city in which I used to live and a place I probably won't return after being able to get essentially the same experience in Chicago, for practically half the price, and have people actually smile at me when I get serviced.

BTW diversity itself is overrated because this whole country gets more diverse and international every year, so diversity isn't something that some areas of this country have a monopoly on. I have a feeling that by the time we are all sitting in wheelchairs that the biggest city in this country will be "somewhere in the middle" considering New York and now California have just turned the corner to a NEGATIVE domestic migration, while the middle and south is booming at the present. Yesterday's Chicago Tribune reported that Chicago had more condos constructed downtown since 2000 than New York and Los Angeles COMBINED, and I can only imagine what Atlanta or Dallas will look like in 50 years.

Besides, no other city has something as weird as this... ;)

kapgehry.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

plus, the new trump tower is going up...hmmm bill ransic is hawt :love:

Man a couple of NU kids came to the Purdue-Northwestern game last fall and sat in our student section. Wearin purple capes, face paint, and big purple afros. Man those guys were funny.

Northwestern sucks at football, tho

wends said:
plus, the new trump tower is going up...hmmm bill ransic is hawt :love:

Trump is going to put up some gawdy monstrousity and ruin the beautiful chicago skyline! :(

P.S. Kwami RAWKS!!! bill sucks...

choocoman said:

what the hell are you talking about? you don't live anywhere near chicago do you?

hey man, i happend to like gaudy monstrosities, and i liked kwame too, till he took it from omarosa....he needed to give that woman a pimp smack! :p

velocypedalist said:
what the hell are you talking about? you don't live anywhere near chicago do you?

worked 2 yrs in chicago. grad school in nyc. college in texas. high school in cali.

velocypedalist said:
Trump is going to put up some gawdy monstrousity and ruin the beautiful chicago skyline! :(

No way... the tower is going to be gorgeous.

TrumpTower-001.jpg

choocoman said:
worked 2 yrs in chicago. grad school in nyc. college in texas. high school in cali.

then were do you get 'homogenous'?

Ugh, it's going up right next to the Wrigley building? That is an eyesore. I guess anything is a good replacement for the hideous Sun-Times building that they're tearing down though.

bakedlay said:
haha, do you go to UIC illinoisstudent? if you do, i totally understand why you are so angry :laugh:

nope.

When someone has bad opinion about NW, why do u guys have to assume that he/she can't get in NW? Ctwick wrote I m jealous and have attitude. Why do u have to simplify things so much?

Anyways, u guys are never going to understand my point.

The only good thing to my relief is that NW Med school is away from NW undergrad. Considering that I am applying there.

IllinoisStudent said:
nope.

When someone has bad opinion about NW, why do u guys have to assume that he/she can't get in NW? Ctwick wrote I m jealous and have attitude. Why do u have to simplify things so much?

Anyways, u guys are never going to understand my point.

The only good thing to my relief is that NW Med school is away from NW undergrad. Considering that I am applying there.

Dude, it's just some of your posts come off as really asinine in terms of judging schools. There's good and bad everywhere and to call a medical school a haven for rich kids (paraphrased here) is just ******ed, especially based on a website.

Pinkertinkle said:
Whoops i just missed my deadline, too bad.

so you missed your deadline because you are probably too dimwitted to come up with decent answers to the secondary questions and probably wouldnt be able to handle social interaction in a group interview setting..."too bad."

...sorry guys... for exuding the a$$hole, condescending, arrogant, punkface attitude that most undoubtedly runs rampant at NU(both med and undergrad)...oops, i mean NW. :D

UCLAMAN said:
so you missed your deadline because you are probably too dimwitted to come up with decent answers to the secondary questions and probably wouldnt be able to handle social interaction in a group interview setting..."too bad."

...sorry guys... for exuding the a$$hole, condescending, arrogant, punkface attitude that most undoubtedly runs rampant at NU(both med and undergrad)...oops, i mean NW. :D

I'd hardly classify the group interview as normal "social interaction"

velocypedalist said:

if by "normal" u mean pounding away guinness at the local bar with your buddies, sure. however, it is social interaction (albeit in a professional setting) nonetheless.

sorry your interview experience blew chunks.

UCLAMAN said:

I hope you were joking.

UCLAMAN said:

Wow, that is remarkably accurate, I bow down to Northwestern, I didn't have a chance anyway.

velocypedalist said:

I don't know how else to classify talking and interacting with other people in a group setting.

Pinkertinkle said:
Wow, that is remarkably accurate, I bow down to Northwestern, I didn't have a chance anyway.

hey, you were the one with the a$$hat remarks like "ugh, no thanks Northwestern" when u came to the realization of a group interview. and stupid jabs like "whoops, i missed the deadline, too bad." didnt u also complain about the secondary deadline? and complain about how dumb our questions were?

sounds like my assessment IS remarkably accurate.

y dont you just... STFU!!!

UCLAMAN said:
hey, you were the one with the a$$hat remarks like "ugh, no thanks Northwestern" when u came to the realization of a group interview. and stupid jabs like "whoops, i missed the deadline, too bad." didnt u also complain about the secondary deadline? and complain about how dumb our questions were?

Oh my apologies, I complained about your beloved school. Forgive me please. Oh yes, please remind me of where I complained about your questions, I don't usually stoop to calling other people's comments dumb.

UCLAMAN said:

Seriously, dude. You were doing a great job of selling your school, but this seems childish.

UCLAMAN said:
if by "normal" u mean pounding away guinness at the local bar with your buddies, sure. however, it is social interaction (albeit in a professional setting) nonetheless.

sorry your interview experience blew chunks.

oh no the actual interview was fine...I don't have any problem with the group interview thing actually, its just I didn't really care for the "attitude." Its probably a personality thing...some people put up with or even thrive in that subtly condescending/competitive environment...I just didn't care for it. I turned down my acceptance so that one of the MANY people who love the school could go there.

by the way, your constant "sorry you interview blew chunks" "sorry you didn't get in" etc etc comments to people in this thread are exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about the NW "attitude"

IndyZX said:
Seriously, dude. You were doing a great job of selling your school, but this seems childish.
:D :D sorry...gotta keep myself entertained at work somehow. :D

Wrigleyville said:
I don't know how else to classify talking and interacting with other people in a group setting.

I just meant that most "normal interaction" isn't for the purpose of determining whether or not you should be accepted at a med school...an interview (of any kind) is a little different than having a chat with a collegue. :)

For all the staunch NW supporters on this thread, I've got news for you...

Stop thinking your $hit don't stink and that your school is perfect. God, one ounce of criticism and you attach like a pack of ravenous hyenas. (especially over stupid crap like "It's NW"..."NO, IT'S NOT, IT'S NU").

However, I admire the pride you have for your school and wouldn't mind being a part of that. But for chrissakes, CHILL the F*** OUT.

No school is perfect.

Pinkertinkle said:
I'm very disappointed I won't have a chance to have you as a class mate. :scared:

word to your mother...sux to be you. :laugh: