$#% Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
velocypedalist said:
by the way, your constant "sorry you interview blew chunks" "sorry you didn't get in" etc etc comments to people in this thread are exactly what I'm talking about when I talk about the NW "attitude"

sorry you feel that way about my "attitude."

Members don't see this ad.

DrThom said:
For all the staunch NW supporters on this thread, I've got news for you...

Stop thinking your $hit don't stink and that your school is perfect. God, one ounce of criticism and you attach like a pack of ravenous hyenas. (especially over stupid crap like "It's NW"..."NO, IT'S NOT, IT'S NU").

However, I admire the pride you have for your school and wouldn't mind being a part of that. But for chrissakes, CHILL the F*** OUT.

No school is perfect.

Alright, I just wanna point out that anyone with common sense knows that there's no such thing as a perfect school. If you look back at what I've posted and what others have posted, we've hardly claimed that NU/NW (i don't really give a ****) is perfect but for many including myself, it was the best fit in terms of what we wanted out of a medical school.

I don't apologize for having pride in the school that I chose. Especially when some people come off as really judgemental about a certain institution due to whatever various reasons...

and seriously, not to come off sounding like an ass, but if you don't wanna come here, don't apply. Save yourself the application money, save the school the time of going through your file. It does no one any good if you don't wanna be here.

velocypedalist said:
I just meant that most "normal interaction" isn't for the purpose of determining whether or not you should be accepted at a med school...an interview (of any kind) is a little different than having a chat with a collegue. :)

Fair enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen anyone in here say that Northwestern is perfect, or even act like it. Heck I don't see anyone in here acting like this is the perfect school and you must bow down to it. It has some GREAT things about it like location and curriculum which in combination is pretty unique, however, and that is what people get excited about. Having a life outside of medical school due to low class time, and in an interesting city no less, are appealing, no doubt. I think you might be confusing "excitement" with "brash pride."

But indeed the first few pages of this thread brought out a couple people who were judging it based on meeting a few jerks in the undergrad. I simply had to throw my 2 cents in that, even though I don't have any affiliation with NU undergrad and never had, it is pretty ignorant and shows you have some stick up your ass if you are going to judge the entire school because of a few jerks, and somehow tie this to the medical school which is miles and miles away.

For instance, I went to UNC-Chapel Hill. Down the road was Duke. And quite frankly, there were many people at my school UNC who resented Duke and thought that everyone went there was a jerk and thought they were better than us, when that was clearly true only for a few people. Yet the whole school got judged and it became a big Duke hate-fest after awhile that was just pathetic. Like I was considering Duke med when I was at UNC, and literally almost NO ONE at UNC recommended it--and I have a feeling was that because they didn't like "arrogant Duke."

NU undergrad is arguably the best undergrad in the immediate area, and the most prestigious, kind of like Duke, so it is no wonder that many people think they can pick on NU for preconceived notions or because of one or two bad experiences. These people are looking for bad experiences just like UNC people were with Dukies. Yet the ironic thing about the whole rivalry was that both sides were equally snobbish--even if Dukies thought they went to a better school, and a harder school to get into (which they DID), my fellow UNC students still had just as large of a stick up their ass because they thought they went to a "cooler" school. Know what I mean? It's like, oh yeah fine your school may be harder to get into but ours is COOLER. LOL. Which side had the worse attitude? NEITHER.

And as for UCLAMan, he is just clearly bored at the moment and jesting with you guys... he is clearly joking around but sarcasm doesn't play well over the internet. It says something about NU med though that you DO have some supporters in here. There are many med schools out there where, literally, most of the students aren't happy. NU med is NOT one of them.

StrngoutAS said:
Alright, I just wanna point out that anyone with common sense knows that there's no such thing as a perfect school. If you look back at what I've posted and what others have posted, we've hardly claimed that NU/NW (i don't really give a ****) is perfect but for many including myself, it was the best fit in terms of what we wanted out of a medical school.

I don't apologize for having pride in the school that I chose. Especially when some people come off as really judgemental about a certain institution due to whatever various reasons...

and seriously, not to come off sounding like an ass, but if you don't wanna come here, don't apply. Save yourself the application money, save the school the time of going through your file. It does no one any good if you don't wanna be here.

Did I say I didn't want to go to Northwestern? Don't put words in my mouth. I actually have strong ties to the school (my dad was an alumnus). I am just saying, if people don't like the schools, you are not going to change their opinion by saying "obviously, you were rejected by NU because you got a stick up your a$$ about it". Let them have their opinion, it doesn't affect you (except your pride).

DrThom said:
Did I say I didn't want to go to Northwestern? Don't put words in my mouth. I actually have strong ties to the school (my dad was an alumnus). I am just saying, if people don't like the schools, you are not going to change their opinion by saying "obviously, you were rejected by NU because you got a stick up your a$$ about it". Let them have their opinion, it doesn't affect you (except your pride).

I wasn't referring to you specifically at the end of that post... my bad if you took it the wrong way. It was directed at certain other people who have complained incessantly...

StrngoutAS said:
It was directed at certain other people who have complained incessantly...

yeah there has been a lot of whining hasn't there? If the reason you don't like NW is that you "don't like the secondary questions", "don't like the deadlines", or think some picture of the dean "makes it look like a rich kids school" (?? :confused: ??)....then my advice to you is, STOP YOUR BlTCHIN'!

UCLAMan is a crackhead. There, I said it.

Are you back in town yet, or still grooving in Kali?

velocypedalist said:
yeah there has been a lot of whining hasn't there? If the reason you don't like NW is that you "don't like the secondary questions", "don't like the deadlines", or think some picture of the dean "makes it look like a rich kids school" (?? :confused: ??)....then my advice to you is, STOP YOUR BlTCHIN'!

Pretty much.

SpiderBill said:
Man a couple of NU kids came to the Purdue-Northwestern game last fall and sat in our student section. Wearin purple capes, face paint, and big purple afros. Man those guys were funny.

Northwestern sucks at football, tho

Ha, I went to purdue for that game too but I wasn't one of those guys. It was fun, despite having our asses kicked and getting stung by two bees that flew into my hooded sweatshirt! :thumbup: :cool:

Speaking on behalf of the NU people I know, I can say with some certainty that none of them think they are superior to others who didn't attend NU. Most are proud to have made it through 4 rigorous years, but do not translate this into a superiority complex.

In fact, this superiority complex is often found in the dumbest people at our school. These are the people who eeked their way in, struggle through their classes, and have a super-inflated sense of accomplishment and pride as a result. They often try to boost their own egos by putting themselves or their school on a pedestal, to compensate for their own insecurities.

But I think what I am describing above is found at any school. It's funny because the biggest intellectual snobs at my high school ended up going to Ohio State. I'm sure they are just as snobbish and condescending now, and if anyone met them, they might gain a similar impression of Ohio State people as of NU people.

Wrigleyville said:
UCLAMan is a crackhead. There, I said it.

Are you back in town yet, or still grooving in Kali?

haha...i have no comeback. i do not work legs out.

back in town tho...lookin forward to the 14th!

UCLAMAN said:

This is probably an entirely irrelevant post, but if you actually are a MS2 as you claim, reading about mcat/amcas rants at this pre-allo forum, you're a bonafide loser. :love:

Regards,
Jumpman23

slackerjock said:
This is probably an entirely irrelevant post, but if you actually are a MS2 as you claim, reading about mcat/amcas rants at this pre-allo forum, you're a bonafide loser. :love:

Regards,
Jumpman23

Whoa there sparky, ease up there before we have to reconsider getting you neutered. If you'd pay attention to half the stuff we post, you'd realize we help answer any questions incoming applicants might have regarding the application process both in general and for the schools we go to.

Ask anyone who went through the application process last year (including myself) and you'd find out that many of the m1's last year (especially UCLAMan) did a lot of **** in terms of helping people find out about NU and whether it was a good fit for them. I personally like to chime in once in a while and give advice/encouragement to people who going through what I did last year. There have been a SMALL number of people recently, though, who have bitched, moaned, and yelped over pretty trivial stuff and we feel the right to defend our school.

If you belong to that small group of people... stop wasting both our time regarding applying to NU. If you don't, good for you. Apply early, get your **** in, and good luck...

slackerjock said:

Regards,
Jumpman23
God forbid people who have gone through the process offer advice and answer questions for the people about to take the test or apply to schools. The board would be a giant whine-fest of confused college students.

slackerjock said:

Regards,
Jumpman23

I know UCLAMan personally and he's not close to being a loser...I am! It's orientation week at my school and I'm still reading and posting on SDN :D