Not a resident, but strong state ties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenlittle84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to let a school that takes residence into account know that I have strong state ties, though I am not officially a resident? I am very interested in Rush for a lot of reasons, and have very strong ties to Chicago, but not residency. I am not sure if it appropriate to send them a letter explaining my ties, or when it would be most appropriate to send this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if it appropriate to send them a letter explaining my ties, or when it would be most appropriate to send this. Thanks!
Try to work it in to your secondary. With a little creativity, you can slide that nugget into just about any secondary questions...

Does anyone know how to let a school that takes residence into account know that I have strong state ties, though I am not officially a resident? I am very interested in Rush for a lot of reasons, and have very strong ties to Chicago, but not residency. I am not sure if it appropriate to send them a letter explaining my ties, or when it would be most appropriate to send this. Thanks!

Since it's a funding thing, you need to meet the state's residency requirements in order to be eligible for any diff. in tuition (as well as for the higher acceptance rate). It's not really subjective thing (i.e. "close ties" don't cut it). But I agree that it wouldn't hurt to put into the secondary somehow.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a good point, but Rush has the same tuition for in and out of state, I think, but they still have a strong IL preference...I guess it still has to do with them getting state and city funding, but I am not sure. So I guess I am not thinking of it in terms of a tuition break, but just in terms of them thinking of me more favorably as I would really like to go there and end up in Chicago in the long run...

i don't remember which school it was, but in one of my secondaries, they asked if i had any ties to the state (it wasn't a state school). someone told me that they ask this because they want to train doctors who will likely stay in the area or come back and work in the area. slipping the info in could never hurt.

In response to the "significant ties" question, is it appropriate to mention that you visited the state many times on family vacations?

In response to the "significant ties" question, is it appropriate to mention that you visited the state many times on family vacations?

I don't think vacations fall under the category of significant. It can't hurt to say you like the area and would be happy there, but when they ask that I think they are looking more for a relative/close friend living there, or that you lived there in the past.

Concur, I've spoken with many schools about this given that I've worked and lived in different states. Typically, schools will consider "strong ties" to mean your family or relatives live in that state, or that you grew up in that state.

Can't hurt to include that you know a lot about the area because you've traveled there frequently, but from what I've heard, it wouldn't impact the adcomm's decisions.

Thank you!

I did write a little something, acknowledging that I have no "strong" state ties, and mentioned that I've visited and would be happy in the area.