Not board eligible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daru1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been asked a question about locum work without board eligiblity before, but got a new one recently:

Can you be credentialed for insurance panels without board eligibility? Seems like this has come up earlier in my residency, but didn't really think too much about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you be credentialed for insurance panels without board eligibility?

Everyone I know of requires at the very least board-eligibility. Many insurance companies don't require board certification, but do require that if you are board-eligible, you at least tell them when you are taking the boards, and give a grace period where you can practice without certification (e.g. 3 years). If you are not certified by then you will no longer be on the insurance panel.

While I'm pretty confident this is the way it goes for most insurance companies, it's not like I was keeping a tally on all of them.

While I've mentioned before that private practice IMHO is not a good idea while you're a resident (and I mentioned I question the legality of it, but ultimately it really depends in the state you're in), getting onto an insurance panel is a pain in the butt, and something I don't advise you to do yourself. If you have an office manager or secretary, fine, but doing it yourself is like trying to make a hill of snow only being able to pile it up with your hands. Insurance companies do quite a bit to make the process tedious, sometimes I believe intentionally.