Not many extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godsgirl16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and this is my first time saying anything on here. I want to apply to pharmacy school next year but I don't know if I'm too young. I'm 19 and going to be a rising sophomore but I have an overwhelming amount of pre reqs done and a great gpa (3.751). I'm planning on taking the PCAT in September and have been studying for about a month now. My only problem is that I don't have experience in pharmacy let alone any true extracurriculars besides the ones from high school and church (which probably doesn't count). I've been applying to cvs to be a pharm tech trainee but the application process has been slow. Should I continue to apply this year or give it one more year? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and this is my first time saying anything on here. I want to apply to pharmacy school next year but I don't know if I'm too young. I'm 19 and going to be a rising sophomore but I have an overwhelming amount of pre reqs done and a great gpa (3.751). I'm planning on taking the PCAT in September and have been studying for about a month now. My only problem is that I don't have experience in pharmacy let alone any true extracurriculars besides the ones from high school and church (which probably doesn't count). I've been applying to cvs to be a pharm tech trainee but the application process has been slow. Should I continue to apply this year or give it one more year? Thanks.
I forgot to mention that I've worked two jobs since I graduated but no longer than 3 months each.

Like I stated in another post, pharmacy schools will want to know why you chose pharmacy, and if you have not worked in the pharmacy setting, how will you provide your desire for pharmacy (besides your GPA - which is just one aspect)? My recommendation is to work as a cashier first for maybe 1 year (so you get experience and get hired as a tech, unless you have prior experience as a pharmacy cashier / pharmacy setting) then go become a pharmacy tech for a year or so. CVS should hire fast don't they lol?? they have a high turnover ratio

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I stated in another post, pharmacy schools will want to know why you chose pharmacy, and if you have not worked in the pharmacy setting, how will you provide your desire for pharmacy (besides your GPA - which is just one aspect)? My recommendation is to work as a cashier first for maybe 1 year (so you get experience and get hired as a tech, unless you have prior experience as a pharmacy cashier / pharmacy setting) then go become a pharmacy tech for a year or so. CVS should hire fast don't they lol?? they have a high turnover ratio
They usually do but when I was on the phone with the manager, he said that on the corporate level, the hiring manager is currently being replaced so no one has transferred my application to the pharmacies I applied to yet.

ECs don't mean anything. Just get a pharm tech job and take the PCAT.