Not matching prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woatalk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering:

Lets say next week Monday, I match at an Advanced Neurology program but I do not match for a prelim spot , would I be notified of the Neurolgy program I matched into on that Monday (as opposed to Thursday), in order to facilitate scrambling for an intern postion in the same city? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, on the 17th (black monday) if you match advance but not prelim they will not tell you the program.

Interesiting... so one pretty much has to scramble blindly?

Members don't see this ad :)
the dean of student affairs at my med school told us that, in the event that you just described, they would be able to tell us in which city we matched but not the specific program. they do this specifically so that we can make an informed (if any) decision as to which prelim program to scramble into.

hopefully it won't come to that, but good luck anyway!!

In the ERAS thread, this has been discussed and according to APD, an applicant who matches at an advanced program but not a prelim can call nrmp so they can notify him as to which city his advanced program is located. It would of course be waaaay more helpful if they just email it, but word is, you gotta call...

This happened to me last year in the match. The program I matched into is set up as an advanced program through the NRMP, but they guarantee an internship if you want it. So I ranked them without a supplementary internship list.

On Monday of match week I got the email telling me that I had matched into an advanced spot but no internship. So I called the NRMP and they told me the city where I matched.