Not sure what to do for gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to medical school this cycle and I am graduating in May. I'm not sure if it is better to do a post baccalaureate program or to work for a year. I have a 3.61 overall gpa and a 3.55 science gpa. I was thinking about becoming a scribe or doing research, but is it more important to continue learning? Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on applying to medical school this cycle and I am graduating in May. I'm not sure if it is better to do a post baccalaureate program or to work for a year. I have a 3.61 overall gpa and a 3.55 science gpa. I was thinking about becoming a scribe or doing research, but is it more important to continue learning? Thanks for any help
I would do research since you plan on applying this year, but do what you want and have fun. :D

Thanks, any other suggestions? Is it important to raise my gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you have an MCAT score?

Yeah I would, but not if it helped me get in haha. Are you applying this cycle?
Oh no, I'm doing a gap year or two.
My GPA is going up, slowly but surely haha.

I also think research/scribe will help you during interviews.

Good question. I think it is best to stay on the academic side of things, rather than say scribing. If I were you, I'd go undeclared in a graduate master's program, only to take a couple classes like advanced molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, maybe A&P if you haven't already, as these will help prepare you for medical school and will give you something to talk about during interviews, things you have done to prepare yourself for the rigors of academic medical school. On the flip side, taking a few classes is not enough. Employed research is a fantastic idea. Research will get you bonus points on your application.

Your GPA might be fine depending on the rest of your application. How are you with clinical, volunteering, leadership, LOCs, research, etc, and most importantly, MCAT? A stellar MCAT score with your GPA probably wouldn't need a post-bacc. Also- upward trend? static GPA throughout the years? Hopefully not downward trend?....

It also depends on what type of schools you're looking into. If you want a big name school, you'll most likely need to pull your GPA up.

edit.... LORs***** oh my god the scribe in me wrote LOC. It's bedtime.

Last edited: