not sure what to do now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
iii

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are already averaging mid-high 30s for the MCAT... Why don't you take the MCAT earlier (early summer perhaps) and avoid the gap year altogether?

If you are already averaging mid-high 30s for the MCAT... Why don't you take the MCAT earlier (early summer perhaps) and avoid the gap year altogether?

I agree take it as early as possible (with confidence) and if you make a high 30 you'll have a great chance of acceptance, especially instate. GOOD LUCK:D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm pretty confused why someone who's consistantly making 35-38s on practice MCATs would be waiting so long to take it...

take the MCAT in may or something bro.. u'll be ayt

Yeah, I'm pretty confused why someone who's consistantly making 35-38s on practice MCATs would be waiting so long to take it...

do u know chris sievers?? he used to go to UNCW, he also lives in wilmington

Yeah it looks like all you need to do to be application-ready is to take the MCAT. If you're already averaging 35-38 on practice tests then you should be in good shape for the real thing, so take it earlier.

thanks guys,

Last edited:
thanks guys,

i guess the reason i was going to wait was because i wasnt planning on applying this year. i thought since i began my college career kinda sketchy (online and com col) that schools would want to see at least 3 years of university type classes

I went to a strong state university as an undergrad and ended up at a top tier medical school with comparable stats/experiences in a difficult major. I understand that your initial time off due to medical reasons may make you nervous about the process. Unless you feel like some school like Harvard is the ONLY place you want to go (which you sound like a great candidate for anyway), you likely would be accepted to a great place if you applied next year. I concur with most the posts here-take the MCAT now so that you can apply as a senior, assuming that you will be well prepared and have a score comparable to your practice MCATs.

Explain clearly in your personal statement what happened earlier in your career. Also, the fact that you are paying for college yourself (+/- work-study?) will affect how they view you too--they'll see that you are balancing your academics well with your other responsibilities. And rocking the MCAT will make your community college time less of a question mark for programs.

If you absolutely want to take a year off, you can try research (NIH has a great 1-year research program). I would discourage the lab tech route, and you don't seem like you are someone who needs to pay thousands of dollars for a post-bac or MHS experience because your science GPA is strong. What would these add to your CV, really?

I have no doubt you would be accepted to a great place applying as a senior. :)

thanks guys,

i guess the reason i was going to wait was because i wasnt planning on applying this year. i thought since i began my college career kinda sketchy (online and com col) that schools would want to see at least 3 years of university type classes

if you score above a 30 on the mcat.. i doubt anyone will give 2 flying craps about what happened in the past :p