Nothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a co-first authorship on a Cell brand paper.
Technically it was co-first because there were 3 of us.
In the list, I am 3rd but we all "contributed equally" etc.

So when I am indicating this on secondary applications, is it misleading to say "First author" vs "Co-first"?

Thanks peeps

Yeah, I don't even think any of my professors have had a paper in Cell (or an equivalent journal). Being co-first author is amazing

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well so I have two co-firsts.
The other one was a first first. I know we're splitting hairs here but that one was a Nature brand paper
and so if I have a sentence saying, I have "two first author papers in studying X," is that deceptive?

vs "two co-first author papers" in studying XYZ Disorder

Just say you have two co-firsts

Reactions: 4 users
I have a co-first authorship on a Cell brand paper.
Technically it was co-first because there were 3 of us.
In the list, I am 3rd but we all "contributed equally" etc.

So when I am indicating this on secondary applications, is it misleading to say "First author" vs "Co-first"?

Thanks peeps
It doesn't matter. It's a CELL paper! This from someone who was a 4th co-author.

Reactions: 2 users
1567110614893.gif
1567110614893.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Are you in like a PhD program or an undergrad RA? Either way pretty impressive. Imo will be enough for T10s even with MCAT.

That's hard to answer.
The research certainly can’t hurt OP and will be impressive; if their other ECs and GPA are solid, I’d think they were definitely competitive. It is not often that applicants have co-first author papers in Cell, and rarer still that they have multiple such papers.

Reactions: 1 users
-Less than 25% of applicant have any publication, poster or presentation, including campus symposia to student level conferences.
-Less than 5% have any publication, poster or presentation in a “major” peer-reviewed journal or national conference.
-Less the 1-2% have anything in a “prestigious” journal or conference
-under 1% have first author

Except for MD/PhD and truly research heavy places that look for MD researchers, once you get the 5% level, you already have stood out at most schools. For most MD programs, first author has little additional impact.

Just to note, make sure you keep these pubs in mind for residency apps. That will make much more impact

The research certainly can’t hurt OP and will be impressive; if their other ECs and GPA are solid, I’d think they were definitely competitive. It is not often that applicants have co-first author papers in Cell, and rarer still that they have multiple such papers.
No research or pub will hurt an applicant, unless the paper is in a predatory or vanity journal.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.