Nova facts..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrseyedoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.I came across some rumors about NOVA and I think it’s unfair for pre-optometry school who wants honest answers in order to make the best decision for their life. In my opinion, if you really want the right answers for ANY school then contact that school administration and ask to speak with their students. I believe class representatives or class officers or current students would give you some good advices. I think it’s better than listening to rumors about this school and that school on here and make the wrong decision. .
.I am a student from NOVA so I can share with you some facts about NOVA:.
.Academic:.
-. ..Class of 2010 National Board rates: Part I: 98-99% (a student from NOVA got the highest score), Part II 100%, I don’t know about part III yet, I will ask my roommate when she comes back..
-. ..1st Year: 10 classes/labs = 21-22 credit hours per semester, about 25 tests/finals in 4 months, tests mostly are on Monday from 8-10am, you don’t go to school from 8-5pm instead you have about half a day off per week depending on your lab group, Human Anatomy and Human Physiology with dental students, Neuroanatomy with OT/PT students. Fall term starts around 8/10 and ends around 12/11. Spring term starts around 01/04 and ends around 04/27. Summer first year starts around 06/14-07/30. Lab opens everyday from 8-12am so you can use your ID card to come in and practice. Resident doctor in lab once a week to help you at night..
-. ..2nd year: Pathology/pharmacology with dental but I forgot which ones. Everything else is same as first year. Summer break 2 weeks and starts clinic around May 15. Pre-proficiency during spring semester before clinic= test every procedures you’ve learned over the past 2 years..
-. ..3rd year: classes, projects, and clinic once or twice a week (mostly perform comprehensive exam on patients)..
-. ..4th year: 3 months out-house clinic and 6 months in-house clinic. Clinic everyday from 8-5pm..
-. ..Professors are nice and helpful and very enthusiastic about this field. We do have some not so great professors but good in research. Some classes require you to come in for office hours if you score less than 70% on first 2 tests. Test format: free response and/or multiple choices..
-. ..Mandatory observation in clinic twice per semester. They require 10 hours of community services per year..
-. ..There is a 5 years extended program for students who have kids or personal reasons. Space limited. Basically, first 2 years is extended into 3 years..
.Student life/financial:.
-. ..Tuition for in-state is around 20K and out-state is 26K. Fees and Equipment around 3K. Don’t need much books here, mostly are notes packets. Library has textbooks on reserve..
-. ..Living expenses: food about $300/month, rent about $500-$700/month + utilities (this rent amount is the rate for most apartments or condos within walking distance, 7-10 min, to school. I recommend you either walk or take the shuttle to school because it is better than driving and parking). .
-. ..Activities: Fort Lauderdale beach is 10 minutes away, Miami about 30 minutes away, airport about 10 minutes away, many restaurants and shoppings and bars/clubs within 10 minutes..

-. ..I spent about 42K/year here for everything..
. .
.Good luck.. if I encounter something else at Nova or remember something else then I will update for you guys.. good luck everyone..

Members don't see this ad.