Nova or Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axewax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but the responses on other threads where tangent to the question at hand.

So I got accepted into the entering class of 2016 for both Nova's and Western's optometry programs. I only have 5 days to decide or I lose my western seat. Both seem very alluring to me and each have their pros and cons.

I like Nova's fancy campus, close proximity to the beach/shopping areas, mandatory iPad use, enthusiastic good-looking class, top of the line facilities, and very amiable administration. I dislike the mandatory scrub and class attendance policies, switching of professors every quarter, along with the general humidity of Florida. I've heard the basic science classes you take are more intensive compared to other optometry curriculum

Western seems to employ the latest technologies, early patient interaction, recorded lectures, close proximity to some nice places in California, nice california weather, genuine, and caring professors+administration. I dislike the narrow hallways, some of the facilities, lack of a gym, and the Pomona area. I also have a few family and couple friends in the socal area.

Nova seems to follow the old curriculum of learning while western does the new one. Supposedly people are requesting to transfer out of western because of that. You get summer 1 off at western and the basic science classes are combined into one 6 hour credit course. At nova you take classes year-round with basic science classes broken down into their sub categories. I've also heard from the year 1 o.d.s that these courses are harder at nova but better prepare you for the board exams.

I wanted to know for those who are attending the schools and/or interviewed at both to get their opinions on which and why their recommend that schools over the other

Also I want to get more advice on the externships, year 4 differences, and any other tidbids you guys would like to add? I really don't want to miss out on the better opportunity. This is a tough decision for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't attend and have not interviewed at either, but I'd say Nova over Western for sure. I'm a California native so of course I was going to apply to Western. However the Pamona area just did not feel safe for me and is not somewhere I would want to live for four years. Furthermore, Nova is a far more established school and they have a higher NBEO passing rate. These factors definitely help in making you a more competitive job applicant in the future

And congratulations on your acceptances. :))