Nova Southeastern University or University at Buffalo PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmCANA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey!

I got into both Nova and University at Buffalo's PharmD program and i'm completely torn on what to do.

On the one hand, Buffalo is highly ranked, well-known for pharmacy. on the other hand, it is in Buffalo, which is very cold and snowy, which i do not like

I, on the other hand, like Florida and plan to move to Florida or California upon completion of my Pharm.D. So wouldn't it make sense to study at a school ALREADY in florida, where you learn florida pharmacy laws? But the thing is, Nova does not have much of a reputation or the reputation that UB has and was on probation last year. On the other hand, the curriculum is a little more laid back and its campus is gorgeous so obviously i'd be happier there. But i'm just worried about reputation status at this point.

Lots of things are going through my mind like is reputation of the school you graduated from that important when trying to find a retail position in 2014? What have you heard about Nova pharm.d.? UB pharm.d.?

Wihtout thinking about tuition, should i go to buffalo or nova? I can't decide and it's killing me. both have advantages and disadvantages.

Which would you choose if you were me?

Members don't see this ad.

The course load is also different.

I calculated it and sometimes i have to take 20 credit hours a semester to finish the electives, whereas at Nova we never go beyond 18

Do you like cold weather or hot weather? If you want to move to Florida then go to Nova, who cares about reputation. Most of the pharmacist in South Florida went to Nova.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance! I dont know much about Buffalo but I heard NSU is really nice. The people are really friendly and its always great to have a nice faculty. I don't think you have to worry tooo much about the reputation if you want to go into retail(or so i heard from many pharmacists). Good luck!!

Hey, I think if you are getting the chance to graduate from a high ranking university then why let it go? If you graduate from Buffalo compared to Nova, you are more likely to get a higher beginning salary and you can enjoy Florida weather all your life.. its just the matter of four years..! Think about it.. If I were you, I'd pick Buffalo.

Hey, I think if you are getting the chance to graduate from a high ranking university then why let it go? If you graduate from Buffalo compared to Nova, you are more likely to get a higher beginning salary and you can enjoy Florida weather all your life.. its just the matter of four years..! Think about it.. If I were you, I'd pick Buffalo.

Really? you think a grad from Buffalo will make more money than a grad from Nova?

The buffalo curriculum is more challenging so i sure hope so.

Are there any Nova or Buffalo students that can give me advice? Or any other person?

Again, tuition is not an issue for me.

The curriculum at NOVA is very traditional.. like undergrad.. and they are in the process of making changes to their curriculum because they are required to after getting off the hook of probation.. and Buffalo has a challenging curriculum so the students are more prepared to face the challenges.. and currently NOVA grads do not have a very great reputation.. well i live in Florida and kinda asked around to make my decision..

If you go to Buffalo, we can hang out. That's reason enough.

The curriculum at NOVA is very traditional.. like undergrad.. and they are in the process of making changes to their curriculum because they are required to after getting off the hook of probation.. and Buffalo has a challenging curriculum so the students are more prepared to face the challenges.. and currently NOVA grads do not have a very great reputation.. well i live in Florida and kinda asked around to make my decision..

Hi!

Where do you go to pharmacy school?
I'm just worried if i can handle the UB program or not :S

Well I'm about to finish my first year at UB and it's tough and will get tougher.

I don't know much about Nova but UB pharmacy school is getting a brand new building by 2012.

I think the reason why I love UB so much is that the faculty and students are really awesome. I was invited to one of the Dean's house for the holidays... I'm having lunch with a professor on Monday. The student organizations and fraternities have lots of events. Lots of free pizza. You get a big brother/sister who hands down old notes and exams. UB pharmacy school has been around for over a century. It's a great school.

Hey guys...I did not know Nova was on probation...like why? what was the reason?....And I am an international pharmacy graduate and want to go to Nova in their International Pharm D program...can you guys throw some light upon that part of the school? Can a graduate from that program get a job? What are the chances of getting a job in some other state if you graduate from Nova's International pharm D program? any advice will be greatly appreciated :) Thank you :)

I don't know if you have already made your decision or much about Nova. However, I just finished my 3rd year at UB and the course work is very challenging. What I'd ask you is what type of pharmacy do you want to practice when you get out of school? If you want to work at a place like CVS or Rite Aid both schools are probably really good choices. If you want to do research/clinical pharmacy I can tell you that UB has a heavy emphasis. In fact I believe they are changing the curriculum in the near future to place an even heavier emphasis on clinical pharmacy. Again I need to emphasis I know very little about Nova. All I can say is that during my three years at the school I wanted to pull my hair out. However, looking back now it was worth it because I really know a lot of stuff. The weather is cold but its not as bad as people say. A hat, some gloves and a good coat will make that problem easier. I wish you good luck and enjoy your time at school because it goes by very fast.