Now what....no PGY4 payline for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychobabbling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I joined my residency program with the intent to be on the child track. I was told I would do 3 years in adult and then 2 in child, the first child year would count towards finishing my general training, etc. (There are also other "tracks" at my program - that don't lead to fellowships...)

However, due to some issues in my personal life, I don't think it will be in my/my family's best interest to stay in this program (program is fine, city is not, fiance has yet to be able to find work, etc - kind of a long story --> let's just say my options are (1) transfer somewhere else for PGY 4 (I'd imagine, tough to do) (2) stay here (not in the best interest of my personal life (which comes first) (3) apply to a child program elsewhere

I brought this up with my PD in a 1 on 1 meeting, and was informed, there is no PGY4 pay line for me. So, one of my options I considered was just staying an extra year (vs. 2) and going elsewhere for 2 years of child...isn't possible

The other issue would be that I then apply to child psyc programs elsewhere in the country. This becomes somewhat risky, because god forbid I didn't get a spot, I'd be a PGY 4 with no residency program (unless of course, I just worked for free?)

What are you're thoughts on this? What do you think my best course of action would be? I have to have an answer in the next 2-3 months

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, at this point in your career it would make sense to finish out where you are now and hope for better days ahead. If your fiance cant find a job wherever you are now, what makes you think somewhere else will be much better? At the very least, your fiance can pick up a temporary job doing something like bar tending/serving even if he/she is overqualified. It sounds like there is more to this story so its hard to say. Good luck with your decision.

I've never heard of anyone transferring for a PGY4 year, although I'm not sure it's impossible. Do you want to do child? If so, it sounds like going through the match and finding a program in a location where you want to be would make the most sense. I'm amazed, though, that staying for a PGY4 year at your program and not doing child isn't a possibility. I guess that's the danger of starting one of those tracks. People change their mind about these things, though, and should be able to complete training where they start.

Members don't see this ad :)
The good news is that it is relatively easy to find child fellowship spots. There are many unfilled positions in the match.

If I understand your situation, your PD isn’t hitting you with a non-renewal of contract because your understanding coming in was that you would fast track and that was the funding given. If I’m wrong, most resident unions or contracts have clear dates by which this can happen, and rules about documentation of undesirable behaviors.

Best of luck.

Does your fiance's employment factor into your decision? Consider whether you could support your family on a residency stipend.

Whose career will determine your geography? There's no way to guarantee suitable employment for your fiance in the location you'd match (in CAP) or accept a PGY4 (adult) spot.

Do you still want to be a child psychiatrist? If so, you don't have to fast track. If you're worried that waiting for match results in January would limit your options for adult openings, you could "safely" accept a PGY4 spot and seek to match for the subsequent year (4+2).

If you decide to FT, the odds are in your favor to match at one of your top 2 rankings.

Another thing to consider... could you tolerate a long distance relationship for a couple of years?

The good news is that it is relatively easy to find child fellowship spots. There are many unfilled positions in the match.

If I understand your situation, your PD isn’t hitting you with a non-renewal of contract because your understanding coming in was that you would fast track and that was the funding given. If I’m wrong, most resident unions or contracts have clear dates by which this can happen, and rules about documentation of undesirable behaviors.

Best of luck.

Hi all, to MacDonald-

may I ask, where are the unfilled child fellowship spots? I haven't been able to locate any listed as available for July 2014. What site should I be looking at?
clarification and guidance in the right direction is much appreciated :)

To you psychobabbline, I feel for you. That is a very tough spot to be in! I hope it works out for you

-LB

How would I go about trying to secure a PGY4 spot somewhere?

I'm still trying to sort through my ambivalence towards child? I was always Child from the get go, but coming into some $ sooner rather than later is weighing on me. Also, I see my career headed into more of a Suboxone/Psyc ER/Consult Liaison/Outpatient (maybe) kinda work. Maybe some CBT/Dynamics (maybe). NOT a fan of inpatient (adult at least)

PGY-4 spots are uncommon, but they pop up. I believe they're listed on the APA or AADPRT site. If your PD likes you they could ask around as well.

How would I go about trying to secure a PGY4 spot somewhere?

I'm still trying to sort through my ambivalence towards child? I was always Child from the get go, but coming into some $ sooner rather than later is weighing on me. Also, I see my career headed into more of a Suboxone/Psyc ER/Consult Liaison/Outpatient (maybe) kinda work. Maybe some CBT/Dynamics (maybe). NOT a fan of inpatient (adult at least)
The majority of jobs I'm coming across are for Inpt units. Be prepared for this if a particular locality is high desirable and only inpt work can be had.

PGY-4 spots are uncommon, but they pop up. I believe they're listed on the APA or AADPRT site. If your PD likes you they could ask around as well.

That's good advice. It would be nice to have someone help you navigate the system.

You should adequately weigh your short-term and long-term goals. You'll have to work through your ambivalence. "Everything but adult inpatient" leaves the playing field quite open.

It's great to have backup plans, but you should solidify Plan A first.