NP, PA, MD, or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye-eye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancée wants to go into obstetrics, but we're have issues determining what the best path to that may be. I was wondering if people could speak to the differences between the actual practice of NPs, PAs, and MDs/DOs in the field. We would also love any help in the cost/benefit analysis in terms of debt, salary, malpractice, etc, and years to completion and so forth. There's a lot of differing information on the web, and we're just not sure where to start. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If she wants to be an obstetrician she must first become a physician (MD or DO) via medical school. That is the only path to becoming an obstetrician.
NP/PA mostly have roles in the gynecology side of things or care of pregnant women prior to birth in private outpatient clinics; they are not typically trained for deliveries.
Nurse midwives deliver babies; that degree requires a BSN+MSN. Some states license midwives who have received less formal training, but you would have to look into this for your state.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If she wants to be an obstetrician she must first become a physician (MD or DO) via medical school. That is the only path to becoming an obstetrician.
NP/PA mostly have roles in the gynecology side of things or care of pregnant women prior to birth in private outpatient clinics; they are not typically trained for deliveries.
Nurse midwives deliver babies; that degree requires a BSN+MSN. Some states license midwives who have received less formal training, but you would have to look into this for your state.

Because of the existence of nurse midwives, I was under the impression that you could become a DNP midwife. How much (and in what ways) does this differ from being an obstetrician?

Also, THANK YOU!!! I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand all of this. May I ask, are you looking at going into ob/gyn? And what year you are in med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
So from what I understand most advanced education nursing programs are transitioning to the DNP degree, including midwifery.
So in the future all will be DNP degree programs probably. Scope of practice for DNP-midwife and certified nurse midwife by MSN is probably the same, I am not sure though. You cannot get just any DNP to be a midwife though; you need to research the schools who offer midwifery specifically.

I am a 3rd year medical student.
The only reason I know this is because before medical school I looked into nurse midwifery. I visited the program at Vanderbilt and was very, very impressed with everything I saw. Ended up deciding medical school was a better fit for me because I want to be involved in women's care for all ages and hoped for a broader scope of practice. So, yah, I want to be an obgyn.

Maybe someone else can chime in about the actual day to day practice differences for DNP and physician obstetricians. DNP-midwives probably don't do c-sections or high risk OB. haven't worked alongside any midwives so I really have no idea.

Last edited:
A midwife is not an obstetrician. An obgyn is a legit physician and surgeon

A midwife is not an obstetrician. An obgyn is a legit physician and surgeon

I pointed this out to OP...
But it's possible that his lady isn't interested in surgery and just wants to deliver babies. Just because midwives don't do hysterectomies or manage ruptured ectopic pregnancies doesn't mean they're not capable of delivering healthy babies.

I pointed this out to OP...
But it's possible that his lady isn't interested in surgery and just wants to deliver babies. Just because midwives don't do hysterectomies or manage ruptured ectopic pregnancies doesn't mean they're not capable of delivering healthy babies.

I realize they aren't obstetricians, but she mostly just wants to deliver babies. I guess I was mostly curious about the setting. Is it still in a hospital? Under an OB or somewhat independent ?

Thank you in advance!

"I was going to do a home birth, but I wanted my kid to live." Jim gaffigan

Reactions: 1 user
I realize they aren't obstetricians, but she mostly just wants to deliver babies. I guess I was mostly curious about the setting. Is it still in a hospital? Under an OB or somewhat independent ?

Thank you in advance!

There are lots of options for how they practice and it depends on the state you live in. Many midwives are employed by OB groups, and others are in birthing centers, and yet others are bold and offer home birth. Research your state laws, and assume that if your state laws allow them to practice independently then some probably do.

There are lots of options for how they practice and it depends on the state you live in. Many midwives are employed by OB groups, and others are in birthing centers, and yet others are bold and offer home birth. Research your state laws, and assume that if your state laws allow them to practice independently then some probably do.

Thank you! I will do so. :)