NRG/RTOG 0631 is out: 1 x 16 Gy "SRS" not better than 1 x 8 Gy EBRT for bone mets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palex80

RAD ON
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

DISCUSS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
On a side note:

"Interventions: Patients randomized to the SRS group were treated with a single dose of 16 or 18 Gy (to convert to rad, multiply by 100) given to the involved vertebral level(s) only, not including any additional spine levels. Patients assigned to cEBRT were treated with 8 Gy given to the involved vertebra plus 1 additional vertebra above and below."

Baby Boomers Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

and

"Indeed, the major limitation of this study is that patient compliance of pain reporting was low. At 24 months, only 47 patients completed the NRPS."

That would be 47/339 eligible patients.
However, 177/339 (52%) were dead at 24 months already. I would not say that being dead is inadequate "patient compliance".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very interesting finding with lots of caveats. Good article to post here. Is worse pain in a palliative setting worth the possible local control??? Would still do for renal cell, melanoma, etc., but honestly a little surprised. Due to the paywall I don't have the full article, does it mention local control results?

2 positive studies for pain (Canadian, Mdacc).

1 negative study with some interesting caveats - 1) treated different volumes in each arm 2) pain inventory was different 3) follow up numbers as listed above are quirky.

I would lean in favor of positive studies.

This trial was far too simplistic, they should have made it 2 x 2 plus/minus 6 months of pembrolizumab.

That way we could at least sneak our negative findings under the radar as long as pembro did SOMETHING good on subset analysis.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
2 positive studies for pain (Canadian, Mdacc).

1 negative study with some interesting caveats - 1) treated different volumes in each arm 2) pain inventory was different 3) follow up numbers as listed above are quirky.

I would lean in favor of positive studies.

I have anecdotally had more success with fractionated regimens both in terms of pain control and local control. 2-5 fractions over the years have served me well in these cases.

Reactions: 7 users
Due to the paywall I don't have the full article, does it mention local control results?
Unfortunately not. This was not a study endpoint. All we know is that vertebral compression fracture rates were similar in both groups.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw on Twitter that there was a significant imbalance in performance status between the arms (SBRT had twice as many PS 2), and higher PS was associated with higher dropout

Unfortunately not. This was not a study endpoint. All we know is that vertebral compression fracture rates were similar in both groups.
This isn’t surprising. The MSKCC trial showed that dose matters (27/3 vs 24/1)

Does rad onc really know how to run good trials anymore. The shoddiness and room to poke holes big enough to drive trucks through gets old.

• Love
SBRT is obviously not good for pain control. Time, additional tests, cost, tumor swelling.

I am so upset I never got an idea to put this in any of my abstracts: “to convert to rad, multiply by 100”!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Meh. There is enough evidence that treating asymptomatic bone mets with SBRT is $imply not necessary.
Unless it's oligometastatic prostate, renal cell, or lung cancer

SBRT is obviously not good for pain control. Time, additional tests, cost, tumor swelling.

I am so upset I never got an idea to put this in any of my abstracts: “to convert to rad, multiply by 100”!!
Why "obviously"?
2 positive studies. 1 negative.

Just do 24/2 for anyone you were thinking 16-18 x 1 and continue

Or can continue doing 16 x 1 for non-spine bone met

Why are we all so worried about this result? One negative result in the first trial in this space, versus 2 more recently established trials that are positive.

best radiation surgery for a spine met is 5 Gy x 5 3D-CRT with a 1cm margin

Just do 24/2 for anyone you were thinking 16-18 x 1 and continue

Or can continue doing 16 x 1 for non-spine bone met

Why are we all so worried about this result? One negative result in the first trial in this space, versus 2 more recently established trials that are positive.
The SC24 trial did the sbrt fractions on consecutive days. Are people doing every day, or every other day?

I work with a guy who trained in Toronto and he does every day. I worked with some other experts elsewhere and they did every other day. Prob doesn’t make much difference imo, but we do daily here.