NRMP 45 day rule is stupid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it hurts the programs more so than residents when you have to show up for 45 days of work before resigning. The PD will likely be able to find someone to replace you in March-June easier. Given how hard it is for a waiver to go through, I'm sure there are a few people contemplating this. Also, even categorical applicants have a right to change their mind regarding their specialty. It just seems so silly that an organization can have so much power in our careers. I mean it seems everything can be seen as a match violation.

the NATMATCH organization is a lot more reasonable in my opinion, where its just between the programs and the applicants if they decide to part ways. 45 day rule is just plain silly IMO

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The 45 day rule makes sense to me. It makes those that are unhappy about their choice of residency have to stay for at least 6 weeks before they can leave. At which point they probably won't, because few residencies actually turn out to be concentration camps. It isn't that hard to replace a resident, honestly, particularly for less competitive specialties, particularly for intern year. There's thousands upon thousands of candidates, actually. The hardest thing to do is actually advertise that there's an opening, but with the internet that's gotten a lot easier.

I think it is you that feels hurt. I think the program will be just fine.

OP you have made your intentions perfectly clear. But I really don't think you realize the long term implications of your path to destruction. Grow up! Be an adult and deal with this issue. On the other hand maybe you really don't belong in medicine at all.

Hey... PM me where you got in so I can apply there for your position when you leave... You really aren't valuing your residency and the opportunity buddy.