NSU acceptance class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks HOD!

BTW, anyone know if there are bike trails around the area?

Anytime TR.

There are lots of good nature places. Markham Park is just West of there, and there is always the Everglades.

I filled out my FAFSA but am waiting on my PIN to sign it. I will have to print out the authorization form, and then I wait, right?

Does anyone else have a home loan? i am already living where I plan to live. Do we owe any more money, other than books? Do we need to pay for our coats? I will buy some more scrubs (I know a discount place if anyone needs them...) and do we need to have other equipment (like a stethoscope?) as of when we show up?

Oh right, and I have to get a physical and a bunch of vaccinations. Damn.

If you have your PIN, you can electronically sign your FAFSA. Therefore you wouldn't have to physically sign a piece of paper to send it in.

Along with tuition, we have to pay for books and supplies. Supplies include the stethescope, lab coat, scrubs, otoscope, surgical tools, etc. There will be at least one vendor during orientation that will sell us discounted medical equipment. Most students go that route.

Members don't see this ad.

Along with tuition, we have to pay for books and supplies. Supplies include the stethescope, lab coat, scrubs, otoscope, surgical tools, etc. There will be at least one vendor during orientation that will sell us discounted medical equipment. Most students go that route.

Hey hilseb, I will check that park out!! Congrats, btw!!

Mars and Venus: do you know where you're headed yet?

Here is a low cost alternative to save more tuition money for beer:

little_doctor_kit.gif

When combined with the blue thingie, the oral temperature thingie apparently also doubles for colonoscopies!!

This may seem like a dumb question...blah blah blah....but if we dont get our money disbursed until mid august, how do we pay for books and tuition?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as tuition goes, you can tell the school that you're waiting on FAFSA, and get the payments deferred.

For books, you're pretty much on your own, so if you're anticipating a late arrival of your finaid checks, I suggest saving up a little something something.

Thanks, how much can we expect to pay in books? Is it really 12k>?

I just talked to an MS4 on her way out to her residency in OK. She said don;t bother buying many of the books, and instead use your money on monographs. I asked her what I remembered from the tour, which was that all of our textbooks are kept with several copies available in the library.

So what do you guys think is a good amount to save for books?

This may seem like a dumb question...blah blah blah....but if we dont get our money disbursed until mid august, how do we pay for books and tuition?

As far as tuition goes, you can tell the school that you're waiting on FAFSA, and get the payments deferred.

For books, you're pretty much on your own, so if you're anticipating a late arrival of your finaid checks, I suggest saving up a little something something.

Good call. Didn't know you could do that. I would anticipate paying for rent and the cost of living in south florida for the time you're in Florida for half of July and August. That means to save money. If you have leftover money by the end of the year, you can always reject a certain portion of loans the following semester or year.

Thanks, how much can we expect to pay in books? Is it really 12k>?

For books and supplies, save your money on books for now. The second soon to be second years will be our guides during orientation and they know the scoop on which books are crucial, which are good reference guides, and which not to waste your money on. Supplies average around 2-3K depending on how flashy you want your supplies. Mind you, there are standards. The rest of the money is "hidden" money that NSU puts into its budget to offset the cost of living and for those with families. It's a buffer. So shhhh!

I just talked to an MS4 on her way out to her residency in OK. She said don;t bother buying many of the books, and instead use your money on monographs. I asked her what I remembered from the tour, which was that all of our textbooks are kept with several copies available in the library.

Right.

So what do you guys think is a good amount to save for books?

See above. Wait until orientation.

Listen to HemeOnc Doc...he is right.

DON'T buy books before school starts. In fact, if you study at HPD library--there is no need to EVER buy any books. I can honestly think of a total of about 5 that I used over TWO years. You can get good grades on every test with the notes you are given. Books are simply secondary resources used to reinforce what you already have in your lecture handouts.

So I was checking my NSU e-mail, and I got this message from the administrator:

NSU policy (see NSU Computer Removal Policy) requires that inactive computer accounts be removed from service.
Our records indicate that you are no longer an active NSU student or employee; therefore, your email account,
[email protected], is scheduled to be archived and removed on 07/03/2007.

What the freak is going on? I've contacted them about this, but this is just bizzare. Maybe it's because I ended up with duplicate NSU IDs, I don't know. I checked webstar and everything seems fine there.

Anyone else get this message on their nsu e-mail accounts?:

What the freak is going on? I've contacted them about this, but this is just bizzare. Maybe it's because I ended up with duplicate NSU IDs, I don't know. I checked webstar and everything seems fine there.

Could be the duplicate id thing. I didn't receive that email today.

I got that e-mail a couple weeks ago, but I thought it had to do with me deferring my acceptance.....:confused:

Could be the duplicate id thing. I didn't receive that email today.

I got that e-mail a couple weeks ago, but I thought it had to do with me deferring my acceptance.....:confused:

Probably not the case, but it was a thought of mine. Make sure your secondary deposit is recorded. Administration may be dropping people who didn't pay their secondary deposit in anticipation that they intend on attending NSUCOM. Couldn't hurt to make sure. Check webstar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, webstar shows I paid the deposit. Anyhoo, I'm gonna contact their tech support tomorrow.

Well, webstar shows I paid the deposit. Anyhoo, I'm gonna contact their tech support tomorrow.
Let me know how it goes or post what you find on the Facebook wall. There are probably others with the same problem.

Just FYI on the graduate housing...
http://www.nova.edu/reslife/oncampus/gradcommons.html

...Total cost was over 10K for 10 months (August-May)...seemed a little $$ to me, and not a lot of space as compared to what you would have in an apartment. I know that includes a lot of food--but eating campus food 3 meals a day, NO THANKS.

Have a good weekend all.

...Total cost was over 10K for 10 months (August-May)...seemed a little $$ to me, and not a lot of space as compared to what you would have in an apartment. I know that includes a lot of food--but eating campus food 3 meals a day, NO THANKS.

Have a good weekend all.
Since medstart and orientation occur the two weeks before that, students would have to secure housing somewhere else beforehand. The price is expensive even though utilities and food is included. Besides, it's graduate housing, not COM housing, so you may be living with other students who may not have the same hours, study habits, and what not. I would rather not listen to loud music or a party going on at 2 am in the morning when I have a exam the following day.

I'm biased though. But for those interested, they are beginning to take applications for grad housing this month. So, if you're interested, contact them ASAP. And for those who intend on renting for a semester and buying a house in January, this may be the way to go.

Have a good weekend all.

I wouldnt pay a grand a month to live in a dorm again. I've been living in dorms for the last 4 years, but 3 years were free.

I wouldnt pay a grand a month to live in a dorm again. I've been living in dorms for the last 4 years, but 3 years were free.

same here. I thought it was gonna be cheaper. But now I am really turned off to the idea, especially after seeing the cramped layouts.

Are the on campus meals really that awful?

Are the on campus meals really that awful?

Campus housing (even the grad housing) is on the undergrad side of campus. I honestly don't know what the food is like over there--but I assume it is typical dorm type food. I do know they have the all you can eat meal thing at one location.

As far as the food @ HPD...it is OKAY...but bland. It isn't bad, but it is essentially the same thing every day (breakfast and dinner options NEVER change...and most of lunch is the same every day, except the hot food rotates about weekly). I don't know about you, but I like more variation in my food choices (but I'm picky). :)

Also, food in the cafeteria is kind of expensive. A lunch entree with meat, one side, and a drink is about 6.50.

Campus housing (even the grad housing) is on the undergrad side of campus. I honestly don't know what the food is like over there--but I assume it is typical dorm type food. I do know they have the all you can eat meal thing at one location.

As far as the food @ HPD...it is OKAY...but bland. It isn't bad, but it is essentially the same thing every day (breakfast and dinner options NEVER change...and most of lunch is the same every day, except the hot food rotates about weekly). I don't know about you, but I like more variation in my food choices (but I'm picky). :)

Also, food in the cafeteria is kind of expensive. A lunch entree with meat, one side, and a drink is about 6.50.
I'm packing my lunch. Hopefully the new cafeteria/food court within the RecPlex will be more appetizing.

Quarterdeck is MUCH closer than the rec plex. ;)

And they have those cool swinging tables....

Has anyone from the other classes already taken the Medstart Electives? Do you recommend them?

Has anyone from the other classes already taken the Medstart Electives? Do you recommend them?

They are new this year...because of the number of people who have weak science backgrounds and needed a brush-up before med school.

I don't know for sure what classes they are all offering...but the only classes of first year that I felt were really difficult are Physiology and Microbiology (or for my class). These are usually the "weed out" classes.

If I knew then...what I know now...I would have taken more physiology before medical school. I thought that Physio was going to be the end of me last year.

I don't think that it is necessary to take extra courses in Anatomy, Biochemistry, etc. As long as you put in time and energy for these courses, you are going to do fine.

...of course...this is just my two cents.

And they have those cool swinging tables....
Except @ the Quarterdeck across the street from school...the swinging tables no longer swing. Apparently drunk ppl were getting hurt on the swinging tables...lol.

They are new this year...because of the number of people who have weak science backgrounds and needed a brush-up before med school.

I don't know for sure what classes they are all offering...but the only classes of first year that I felt were really difficult are Physiology and Microbiology (or for my class). These are usually the "weed out" classes.

If I knew then...what I know now...I would have taken more physiology before medical school. I thought that Physio was going to be the end of me last year.

I don't think that it is necessary to take extra courses in Anatomy, Biochemistry, etc. As long as you put in time and energy for these courses, you are going to do fine.

...of course...this is just my two cents.

Thanks.
I signed up for anatomy/physio and biochem since I haven't ever taken either; I'm really glad NSU-COM is offering this assistance. They're not offering microbio; they're also offering med terminology but I guess I can do without that for now.
Thanks again.
P.S. What did you mean by " 'weed out' classes? do people actually fail out of the year/school?:scared:

Thanks.
I signed up for anatomy/physio and biochem since I haven't ever taken either; I'm really glad NSU-COM is offering this assistance. They're not offering microbio; they're also offering med terminology but I guess I can do without that for now.
Thanks again.
P.S. What did you mean by " 'weed out' classes? do people actually fail out of the year/school?:scared:
I think when Kai refers to them as " 'weed out' " classes, she means the classes that differentiate those who are up to speed and those who need a little extra push. The attrition rate isn't very high.

Good move in signing up for the courses.

Everyone is different...i thought physio was good..but i sucked at gross anatomy...so far doin ok in micro..so it all depends to how you deal with the professor's test..(i know the anatomy, just cant take conover tests) you guys will see soon enough :)

I am a little confused, but I just got my acceptance packet and I am filling it out now. I am not on the list serve yet, and may not have gotten some of this information sent yet. Where are these classes listed?

I am a little confused, but I just got my acceptance packet and I am filling it out now. I am not on the list serve yet, and may not have gotten some of this information sent yet. Where are these classes listed?

There was an email sent out to the list serve, which you can get on after you get your email, which you can get after you pay your deposit. What I don't get is that I was accepted going on 3 weeks ago now, and still have not received an acceptance packet. Any thoughts classmates?

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I got accepted in mid december of last year, and I didn't receive a packet in the mail until almost a month later! I called their office about it, and got them to fax me a letter of acceptance, so that at least you have something until the packet arrives, and you know what the deadline for the deposit is.

When the damn packet finally arrived, I looked at the envelope and I think I found out why it took so long. The packet was first mailed to Jamaica, New York. Then, there was another stamp on it that showed it was 'airlifted' from Jamiaca, as international mail into Canada. Instead of using first class mail, NSU decided to use regular mail to save a few pennies :rolleyes: , which resulted in a not so timely delivery of my mail. The same thing had happened previously with my interview packet.

However, all mail correspondence after that was sent to me via first class mail, and arrived at my mailbox within a week of the date it was mailed.

There was an email sent out to the list serve, which you can get on after you get your email, which you can get after you pay your deposit. What I don't get is that I was accepted going on 3 weeks ago now, and still have not received an acceptance packet. Any thoughts classmates?
Call. The worse they could do is resend you one.

Has anyone seen the 2007 match lists? Also, what is the standard format for email? I forgot my email address and can't sign up for the listserv.

Has anyone seen the 2007 match lists? Also, what is the standard format for email? I forgot my email address and can't sign up for the listserv.
The 2007 match list is not published yet. I've let people know that I'm looking for it and when it's out, I'll be sure to post it if they don't beat me to it.

The formal extension is: [email protected], but you can get away with [email protected]. And there is not standard format. The NSU webmail designates an email id for you based on your first and last name. Hope this helps.

I'm posting listserve information onto the Facebook Discussion Forums or on the wall.

Welcome Class of 2011!

Congratulations to the newly admitted students! For your information, I started a Facebook NSUCOM Class of 2011 group as a networking tool to find roommates, provide and share information, and to use as a general icebreaker. Also, it is a great opportunity for incoming students to talk about issues concerning the budget, financial aid, orientation, housing, activities in the area, etc. Feel free to post in the discussion group, add pictures, message one another, and what not. There is a great deal of information on the site to peruse through. There are also OMSI and OMSII advisors available to answer your questions. I hope that it is helpful.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2227950027

For those who have already added themselves to the group, thank you very much for contributing to the site. Though we haven't started school yet, I can see that this is going to be a very cohesive class.

Hope to hear from some more of you soon. Thanks!

Take care and see you all soon.

Call. The worse they could do is resend you one.
I know what you mean, I had the same thought, called Linda and Rachel and both said it should be here by last week and I called yesterday and today and got Voicemails and left messages. So hopefully they get back to me soon.

You can't guess it since NSU designates it for you. For me, I'm missing the last letter of my first name. There are too many permutations to try. I would just wait or call up and find out...

Yeah; there seems to be absolutly no rhyme or reason to how email addresses are assigned. Mine happens to be the first initial last name then my frist name (I guess my first name is less common than my last)...but there are some ppl with really odd combinations like two or three letters of first and last name.

I wish we did get to pick our email addresses. It just seems a little unprofessional to use the whole [email protected] as my email address when I'm on rotations. :( Oh well, living on the beach next year will make me forget about my email address. hehe.

I know what you mean, I had the same thought, called Linda and Rachel and both said it should be here by last week and I called yesterday and today and got Voicemails and left messages. So hopefully they get back to me soon.
You may want to call up the help desk/IT resources or have admissions call up and set you up. It's really not that crucial right now since I'm posting it on Facebook.

I was also asking because I was told by a 4th yr to email two of the professors, and I was wondering if I could guess their emails. Is there a public listing of faculty emails?

I along with madscientist am more concerned about getting the acceptance packet at this point. I too had problems with the interview packet being late. When I got back from the interview I had two of them on the table. One of which looked like it fell off off the back of an army tank in the Sunni Triangle lol! I'm pretty sure I retrieved some shrapnel from that thing.
How are they saving money when they have to mail out two of everything!

I along with madscientist am more concerned about getting the acceptance packet at this point. I too had problems with the interview packet being late. When I got back from the interview I had two of them on the table. One of which looked like it fell off off the back of an army tank in the Sunni Triangle lol! I'm pretty sure I retrieved some shrapnel from that thing.
How are they saving money when they have to mail out two of everything!
Unless you're interested in applying for the primary care and military scholarship, there isn't much in the acceptance package. There is the acceptance letter, payment coupons, and instructions on how to set up your email. It's nice to have the letter in your hand.

In the meanwhile, you can put your deposit so you can get your email and enroll into the listserve.