NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you I had the pleasure of meeting today, you are all deserving and I wish you the best of luck. If you need anything, I am here to help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had the pleasure of meeting with Dr. Dribin this afternoon. She is a very candid person who is on her game. She knows what she wants and who will fit. Her biggest goal, it seemed, was to ensure that students can/will be successful.
I was told that the lowest MCAT accepted into the program was an 18 (I did not clarify what year that occurred). It was also made very clear to me that there is definately significant weight given to students who have taken higher level sciences...anatomy, physio, histology, advanced microbio, are a few example that come to mind. Dr. Dribin said that the course load is tough and that physio is one class that can hold people back...even by a single point. The M1 students would have the opportunity to retest if they failed, but the MBS student do not have retesting opportunities.
Someone in the forum ask about working while being in the program...I was told that there was 1 person who worked and that it is really frowned upon because success in the program is quite rigorous.
Someone also asked if you get your master's degree when you move into the M1 program...No you don't. If you don't make it to M1 after MBS 1, then you could get your master's degree as you hopefully move onto M1 status. The goal that they are seeking is for MBS students to move on to M1 after 1 year. It's really the goal of the program and in the best interest, financially for the students.
May I suggest that if you haven't heard about your status and are still waiting for an interview...or perhaps just want to find out what went wrong for you this time around, email Dr. Dribon....ask to meet with her in person so that you can begin building rapport for next time. She will guide you for the next time around, and she will answer all of your questions with honesty...so dont ask unless you want to know.
I did not ask her whether more interview candidates were being reviewed, but I believe that she said she still had some files to go through. She also introduced me to a new person who will be taking on a good chunk of application reviews in the near future. So speak up while you can...in a friendly, open minded respectful manner. I hope this helps those still waiting; I wish each of you the very best on your journey through the medical profession.

Reactions: 5 users
I had the pleasure of meeting with Dr. Dribin this afternoon. She is a very candid person who is on her game. She knows what she wants and who will fit. Her biggest goal, it seemed, was to ensure that students can/will be successful.
I was told that the lowest MCAT accepted into the program was an 18 (I did not clarify what year that occurred). It was also made very clear to me that there is definately significant weight given to students who have taken higher level sciences...anatomy, physio, histology, advanced microbio, are a few example that come to mind. Dr. Dribin said that the course load is tough and that physio is one class that can hold people back...even by a single point. The M1 students would have the opportunity to retest if they failed, but the MBS student do not have retesting opportunities.
Someone in the forum ask about working while being in the program...I was told that there was 1 person who worked and that it is really frowned upon because success in the program is quite rigorous.
Someone also asked if you get your master's degree when you move into the M1 program...No you don't. If you don't make it to M1 after MBS 1, then you could get your master's degree as you hopefully move onto M1 status. The goal that they are seeking is for MBS students to move on to M1 after 1 year. It's really the goal of the program and in the best interest, financially for the students.
May I suggest that if you haven't heard about your status and are still waiting for an interview...or perhaps just want to find out what went wrong for you this time around, email Dr. Dribon....ask to meet with her in person so that you can begin building rapport for next time. She will guide you for the next time around, and she will answer all of your questions with honesty...so dont ask unless you want to know.
I did not ask her whether more interview candidates were being reviewed, but I believe that she said she still had some files to go through. She also introduced me to a new person who will be taking on a good chunk of application reviews in the near future. So speak up while you can...in a friendly, open minded respectful manner. I hope this helps those still waiting; I wish each of you the very best on your journey through the medical profession.

Just to add to this...Most of the current students who were giving tours and speaking to us prospective students stated that they went to other programs first, got their masters, and then applied to the Nova MBS program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this information, highly appreciated! I wish you and everyone that has interviewed the best!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else received any correspondence from NOVA?

Anyone interviewing May 4th?

What is Dr.Dribin's email?

Good luck to everyone interviewing in May! I had such a nice experience at the interview on Tuesday. Dr. Dribin is so sweet, and all of the student ambassadors are kind and helpful (I realize now that they totally distracted me from all of my thoughts and nerves the entire day lol, and took time out of studying for finals to give us a tour and answer all of our questions). Crossing our fingers for all of us!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else just never get a rejection letter from nova? Are they still offering interviews or are they just taking forever to reject me?

Did anyone else just never get a rejection letter from nova? Are they still offering interviews or are they just taking forever to reject me?

Hey, I just checked the website and the 16th and 17th of May are still available. Not sure if this is an indicator of anything, but just know they are still open. Also the invite says you only have a week to schedule the interview. So I would think if people decide not to interview, that opens up other spots.

Hi Everyone!

I had my interview today and everything that was said above is true. Very relaxed and the MBS students are ALL amazing! If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I wish the best of luck to everyone applying and interviewing for the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Had the privilege of interviewing today with 4 other wonderful interviewees on 5/4. Here is a rundown of how the day went for future applicants. I will also answer any PM's if need be.

Parked in the large 5 level public parking lot structure -> walked over to the Health Profession Divisions (terri) building -> Signed in, met the ambassador MBS student and toured with the M1/MBS students, -> met Melissa Chamberlain -> informally met as a interviewee group with Dr. Dribin -> told to wait as we were called in 1 by 1 -> while waiting M1/M2 students who are alumni of the program dropped by to say hi -> Spoke more with Melissa as they continued to call us in.

Interview is very straightforward. Lasts 15- 30 minutes. No trick questions no surprises. Questions came straight from what you said and your application to them. Eventually the interview evolves into something I would consider like a counseling session. Dr. Dribin knows what she wants and knows what she doesn't. She is one of those people that you'll immediately adore and love the moment you meet them. BS and rehearsed answers during the interview are easily spotted by her. You interview with 3 other faculty, but she does most of the questioning.

They are looking for a very specific type of student. Along with being a team player with a great personality I believe they are only seeking students who are at a competitively high gpa, but low MCAT score with multiple retakes. My high GPA and recently competitive MCAT led them to spend 30 minutes persuading me to consider applying directly to their medical school.

Overall, initial impressions of this program would lead me to rank it as my top choice for an SMP hands down. The faculty is honest and nuturing. The students all seem to have enjoyed the program and recommend it. The level of immersion and integration you get as an MBS student into the college of medicine is unraveled. In addition, there are even benefits that MBS students receive that M1's don't. In my opinion, their level of professionalism and faculty-student interaction from the get go will likely beat out any other SMP/post bac program. All in all, NSU lives up to its hype and reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Question for those who are in the program or know about it extensively:

When are you expected to submit your AACOMAS and is it frowned upon to apply to other schools as backup in case you receive less than 80% in one of your classes? I would much rather attend another DO program in fall of 2017 than spend another year in the masters....

Question for those who are in the program or know about it extensively:

When are you expected to submit your AACOMAS and is it frowned upon to apply to other schools as backup in case you receive less than 80% in one of your classes? I would much rather attend another DO program in fall of 2017 than spend another year in the masters....

Not sure where your stats stand but if you're planning on applying to "back-up" schools...why even do the masters in the first place and spend the money. You must feel that you're somewhat competitive. I could be totally wrong.

The anticipation is killing me

Hoping everyone the best of luck! These last two weeks of waiting I feel like are going to be the dead of me

Almost there guys!! Good luck, cant wait to meet you all!

When do you guys think we'll hear back?

During the interview everyone was told that we would find out the final decisions at the end of the month so more than likely within the next two or so weeks. Also with that being said, I know that everyone who gets in will receive a congratulatory E-mail (some also receiving a phone call) and a package soon after in the mail explaining financial aid, ect. If it so happens that we dont get in I think we have to wait for a letter in the mail with the unfortunate news but there is also a wait list which a lot of people have gotten in from (of course some years more than others).

Best of luck to everyone!

Just got accepted! Look out for phone calls!

Just got the phone call, ACCEPTED!!!!!:soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted Today! Excited to meet everyone!

Hi Everyone! I also got accepted today for the MD track! Excited to meet everyone in the Fall!!

Did anyone going the dental route get a call yet?

I got accepted and i am doing the dental route. to those who got accepted do you guys have any idea where you are going to live like on or off campus?

I got accepted and i am doing the dental route. to those who got accepted do you guys have any idea where you are going to live like on or off campus?

Hey approximately when did you get a phone call?

When did you have your interview?

Anyone know anything about a Facebook group? If not one of us may have to create one

Last edited:
I think everyone's been called unfortunately :/ I guess there is always next year. For those of us who haven't I think we'll receive a letter in the mail or an email if we are on the wait list. But from what I've seen in the past a lot of people have actually gotten in from the wait list. Congrats to those who got in.

Congrats to everyone!!! How exciting, things to look forward to doing, get a doctor appointment, do your physical and immunization as soon as possible, the forms are found in the student health webpage.. fill out your financial aid, it will be grad plus loan from the https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action , and do your promissory note...pay your deposit.... and if you choose not to have nsu health insurance there will be a form you will need to submit in the first week of school or so.. for those not accepted, people come off the waitlist... stay positive.

Is there any confirmation that all acceptances were indeed sent out? I interviewed May 11th and have not heard anything back.

Keep in mind, students who have been accepted must make their deposit. There is a waitlist, so if some students do not make a deposit, students will be pulled from the waitlist.