Number of accepted students vs. accreditation number

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WakePOD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently enlightened by several students at a Podiatry school, that the school accepts x amount of students, and are only accredited to graduate y amount. This was not a small number of students, it was nearly 1/3 of the accepted class. I found this rather unnerving because the school was my first choice, and they accepted a small number of students and still had the intent of "weeding out" students. It was my understanding that the interview/acceptance process was used for this purpose. Has anyone else heard word of this??

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of a limit to the number of students a school can graduate just a limit to the number of students a school can accept. That doesn't mean it's not true, I suppose, but it doesn't make sense in my mind. Attrition happens at every school, but I can't see how a school would suppose to know how many students won't make it to graduation. Also, 1/3 seems to be an awfully big number. I don't think that attrition rates are that high at most schools. But again, I have no idea for sure.

I was recently enlightened by several students at a Podiatry school, that the school accepts x amount of students, and are only accredited to graduate y amount. This was not a small number of students, it was nearly 1/3 of the accepted class. I found this rather unnerving because the school was my first choice, and they accepted a small number of students and still had the intent of "weeding out" students. It was my understanding that the interview/acceptance process was used for this purpose. Has anyone else heard word of this??

Are you by any chance talking about Barry? I interviewed there a couple of weeks ago and one of the students I had lunch with mentioned that to me which was kind of disturbing. Its understandable if you're taking organic in undergrad and the class is meant to weed out students but I don't think that should be the case where you're taking a class to pursue a career. The school should do everything in its power to help their students succeed in their program.