Number of PharmD graduates declines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNJ_Anon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new data from Sept 2019 is out from the AACP. It's always a year behind.

The number of PharmD grads peaked in 2018 at 14905. The year with the highest total enrollment was 2014 at 63927; it dropped to 60594 in 2019. The attrition rate (12.6%) and academic dismissal rate (3.1%) are also at highs in 2019.

Actual number of degrees awarded:
2015 13994
2016 14556
2017 14502
2018 14905
2019 14800

Size of class of 20XX (as of Sept 2019)
2020 14683
2021 15045
2022 14961

The number of applications to PharmD programs continues its free fall:
2017 72941
2018 60042
2019 50842

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
That's still 14,800 more pharmDs than necessary.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Let’s keep flattening the curve here at SDN by berating, humiliating, and discouraging anyone who comes here looking for advice to go to pharmacy school.

Flattening the curve.....

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder at what point does Husson throw in the towel? 22 people in their class of 2023 can't be profitable for the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Let’s keep flattening the curve here at SDN by berating, humiliating, and discouraging anyone who comes here looking for advice to go to pharmacy school.

They'll just ban us like they did BMB.

So how can we make meaningful change? Email blasts to student fraternities, ncpa/ashp/apha student listservs about the problem with job market? Who can spearhead this cause?

So how can we make meaningful change? Email blasts to student fraternities, ncpa/ashp/apha student listservs about the problem with job market? Who can spearhead this cause?

I think the best way to go about it would be to not precept students, and to not hire new graduates. Problem solved.

I think the best way to go about it would be to not precept students, and to not hire new graduates. Problem solved.
I have a feeling this forum actually may have contributed to the decline.

What did he say to get banned?
BMB called a pre pharm an idiot for taking student 250k loans. But BMB posted a graphic violent scene of riots, which is why BMB got banned

We don’t need to humiliate pre Pharms just show them facts. If they don’t listen, then it’s their problem

Looks like number of applicants are declining but class sizes are staying pretty steady. This means even if number of applicants drops to 15k, pharmacy schools will just admit 100% of them. They’ll get away with it too because ACPE doesn’t give a ****

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like number of applicants are declining but class sizes are staying pretty steady. This means even if number of applicants drops to 15k, pharmacy schools will just admit 100% of them. They’ll get away with it too because ACPE doesn’t give a ****
How does that help their business stay afloat if 15k applicants do something else?

How does that help their business stay afloat if 15k applicants do something else?

That is still 15,000 x $200,000 average tuition money.

Don't celebrate yet. 14,905 pharmDs to 14,800 pharmDs is hardly a decline.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit that our snarky responses in the Pre-Pharm forum does provide some entertainment.

Lets not forget the quality of these students...lot of good SoP candidates are choosing other careers, the 2.0 GPA types are still applying (if they can read the application)

Lets not forget the quality of these students...lot of good SoP candidates are choosing other careers, the 2.0 GPA types are still applying (if they can read the application)

Honestly this is my biggest concern. If we had great quality people in all these programs provider status may be a possibility.

There are states where provider status has passed with Medicaid/Medicare support. Job opportunities would explode if we could start applying to clinics at a NP level.

These numbers don't really make sense to me. How could pharmacy have a 85% acceptance rate if there are 50k applicants for 15k seats?
Most applicants apply to at least 3 schools.

• Make Pharmacy Great Again
  • Flatten the curve (of the number of pharmacy school graduates)
  • Pharmacy school distancing
  • Stay at home (from pharmacy school)
  • Shelter in place (before deciding to go to pharmacy school)
  • 6 miles apart (from any pharmacy school)
  • Wash your mind (from all the pharmacy school and academic koolaid)

While the number of applicants has gone down, it's disappointing the number of students and graduates has stayed relatively the same (which is what's really important in the context of the job market saturation). It's probably just going to result in lower quality of pharmacists graduating which may be evidenced by the higher attrition rate.

I remember the day when you could make money in real estate by getting someone to sign for a liar loan. Someone would buy a house for 20k and then sell it someone with no credit or job but who received a mortgage for 100k. It crashed our economy. Pharmacy schools are now the same, the do not care about the quality of the applicant. Many applicants will graduate pharmacy school and never get a job, but the school still wins because they have your tuition. I don't worry about the bottom tier of applicants, they don't have the smarts to run a pharmacy. They will be bartenders upon graduation and not put pressure on wages. Do you really think someone with 2.5 gpa is going to have the discipline necessary to run a pharmacy and meet metrics. They don't have a chance.

I remember the day when you could make money in real estate by getting someone to sign for a liar loan. Someone would buy a house for 20k and then sell it someone with no credit or job but who received a mortgage for 100k. It crashed our economy. Pharmacy schools are now the same, the do not care about the quality of the applicant. Many applicants will graduate pharmacy school and never get a job, but the school still wins because they have your tuition. I don't worry about the bottom tier of applicants, they don't have the smarts to run a pharmacy. They will be bartenders upon graduation and not put pressure on wages. Do you really think someone with 2.5 gpa is going to have the discipline necessary to run a pharmacy and meet metrics. They don't have a chance.

It's not hard to run a pharmacy. Let's be honest, the computer does 99% of the work for us. Make sure nothing turns red and you'll be fine. Case in point, that pharmacy tech who worked as a pharmacist for 12 years at Walgreens. Anyone can do it.