Number of School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncallaha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how many schools everone applied too. I have this sinking feeling that I applied to too many and that may come back to hurt me.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 15. I think thats a lot. Then again, my friend applied to 30 medical schools, so it's all relative.

I did 14, because my GPA is kinda low. I did really well on the DAT though. Here's hoping UOP summons me!

Members don't see this ad :)
How can applying to too many hurt you? The worst that can happen is you will be offered so many interviews you will have to decline some of them. Not exactly a terrible problem to have.

I would apply to as many schools as you can afford, but don't send your application anywhere you wouldn't be willing to attend. It is easier to withdraw and application several months after your AADSAS has been submitted than it is to have extra copies sent out.

ncallaha said:
I was wondering how many schools everone applied too. I have this sinking feeling that I applied to too many and that may come back to hurt me.

6 because I want to be sort of close to home (3 hours was my limit) and I don't have any problem reapplying in a year or two.

probably not the best attitude to have towards it. But it's better then wasting my time and the school's time if I really don't want to go there...

7 .. basically because of geographical reasons.

Missserica said:
7 .. basically because of geographical reasons.
ditto

15 all over the country...and probably a few safeties.....and definately many reaches (in terms of out of state state schools)...here's hoping!

14 ... i never intended for it to come to that, i guess i hate money.

ncallaha said:

cowsgomoo said:

I can't believe you applied to 11 schools with those kind of stats.

I personally applied to 17

edkNARF said:
I would apply to as many schools as you can afford, but don't send your application anywhere you wouldn't be willing to attend. It is easier to withdraw and application several months after your AADSAS has been submitted than it is to have extra copies sent out.

I agree, and the operative word here is 'afford.' Interviews can be, and often are, very expensive (airfare, hotel, rental car...). I know that I went on a couple of interviews to schools that I really didn't have any interest in attending and went on to regret expending the resources to attend them. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.

I applied to 15, but I applied b/f DAT's so I wanted a bunch of safety schools. I am nervous about declining interviews though, I saw a couple of threads where people got cocky and declined interviews only to get waitlisted and then not accepted...

edkNARF said:

I dont agree with this....Id advocate applying to as many schools as you want to (make sure you are eligible/worthy however!!).....sure its money to be spent, but who knows....you might interview at a school just for fun that you thought you would never goto, but end up lovin! Whats a couple of grand compared to the 200k you are about to incur with d school??

And if money is a problem with interviews, you dont have to make them huge vacations.....if you are interviewing at NYU/Columbia, dont stay at the Ritz!!! stay at a youth hostel for $20/night!! if its feasible, take a bus instead of a plane......there are many things u can do to keep the costs down for interviews.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I dont agree with this....Id advocate applying to as many schools as you want to (make sure you are eligible/worthy however!!).....sure its money to be spent, but who knows....you might interview at a school just for fun that you thought you would never goto, but end up lovin! Whats a couple of grand compared to the 200k you are about to incur with d school??

And if money is a problem with interviews, you dont have to make them huge vacations.....if you are interviewing at NYU/Columbia, dont stay at the Ritz!!! stay at a youth hostel for $20/night!! if its feasible, take a bus instead of a plane......there are many things u can do to keep the costs down for interviews.

What I meant was, do not apply to schools that you really would not want to go into even if you got accepted. For example, I applied to USC, but I had no intention of going there. This had nothing to do with the school (it is an EXCELLENT innovative program), it was just too far from home.
Regarding "how many schools you can afford"... I know that a grand is miniscule compare the total cost of the education, but not everyone has several thousand dollars at their disposal for interview expenses.

bkwash said:
I applied to 15, but I applied b/f DAT's so I wanted a bunch of safety schools. I am nervous about declining interviews though, I saw a couple of threads where people got cocky and declined interviews only to get waitlisted and then not accepted...

I have no sympathy for those that decline interviews and haven't been accepted yet. I can understand if they already got accepted and declined, but to decline without an acceptance is stupidity in my opinion.

I applied to 14 schools, pretty much the top 14 schools that I felt I had the best chance at considering my average stats...