Number of times in the OR per month...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the Rad Onc I was with today went down to the OR and put in an applicator for HDR treatment of Cervical cancer and I was asking her how much time she spent down there each month. Between Urologists taking some of the prostate cases and other changes, she guessed she was down there a few times a month.

What has all of your guys experience been?

Members don't see this ad.

On my gyn rotation, it can be a lot. 5 times this week. 5 times last week. More than I want to be there :) I think at major institutions with strong gyn onc programs, that might be typical - a few EUAs a week, a few stent placements a week, an interstitial implant every month or so.

It's a pain, because clinic is going on at the same time. I wonder how people are following the Medicare rules about having a doc in clinic during all treatments.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
A side note question, for you folks doing multiple gyn insertions (presume t&o) . . . if you guys are doing HDR, are all insertions under general anesthesia? I have heard of places doing first insertion in OR with sleeve placement and subsequent insertions as outpatient.

Only if they are from way out of town do we do our sleeve placements and the first tandem/ring HDR tx on the same day. But that's a really long day for the patient. Otherwise, sleeve placed in OR, and then 5 outpatient treatments, with some Ativan +/- morphine. It's generally tolerated (i.e. some screaming and a fair amount of expletives).
-S