Nurse to doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patrick5150

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive got a 3.74 science gpa and a 3.8 gpa from my bachelors degree in nursing.
I've also got 2 years working as a nurses aide, in a geriatrics unit in a hospital, followed by 1 years of working in geriatrics as a nurse and 4 years working as a nurse in neurology. MCAT is pending.

PS: how much would my EC compensate for a possibly low MCAT? like mid 20s?

What do you guys think? thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A mid 20s MCAT would make MD a definite up hill climb but not impossible statistically. Sounds like you'd be a great candidate for DO. Retaking MCAT would open more doors if you did make mid 20s, many more doors than ECs.

If you're going for MD a mid 20s MCAT will hurt. I can't find the AAMC link now but nursing majors have the lowest matriculation rates of any major. Also, not a single school I interviewed with thought my EC's of being a nurse for 5 years was special.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats interesting about nursing having lowest rates of matriculation. any idea why? and was this for MD or DO?

I have no problem going the DO route whatsoever. If thats what it takes, then so be it.

thats interesting about nursing having lowest rates of matriculation. any idea why? and was this for MD or DO?

I have no problem going the DO route whatsoever. If thats what it takes, then so be it.

I was only accepted to DO and am very happy. Still shoot for MD with that GPA. One interviewer said traditionally nurses have a very difficult time the first two years and excel the last two.

If you happen to find that link, I would definitely be interested in reading that. It just seems like I know an awfully lot of doctors that were once nurses. I've also heard that nurses typically make good doctors, but I suppose that depends on the nurse.

To the OP:

I'm one year away from graduating with a BSN. I'm just beginning this process myself, so I don't know much at all about what you need. My stats are similar to yours, except my GPA is a little lower. I also have a lot of healthcare-related volunteer activities, so I'm focusing on gaining some volunteer hours that aren't necessarily related to health or nursing. This is to make myself appear more well-rounded. I'm also focusing on gaining some research experience, since I have none to speak of.

I was only accepted to DO and am very happy. Still shoot for MD with that GPA. One interviewer said traditionally nurses have a very difficult time the first two years and excel the last two.

Mind if I ask what your stats were when you got accepted?

thanks

Your GPAs are good but are your BSN classes acceptable as the pre-reqs or have you done them separately? Assuming your prereqs are done, you should aim for a 30+ for a chance at MD (32+ would be best) and a 26+ for a chance at DO (aim 28+ though).

I did the prereqs separately at a totally different school. prereqs are all done.