NY -- 3.5 cGPA 3.35 Science GPA no MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avariceponderer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I have a bizarre history.

I just did the calculation and realized my 14 sciences course for my degree left me with a combined Science GPA of around 3.35. I'm definitely NOT pleased as I assumed geology in which I got three As counted as a science. I went to a tough undergraduate university with chronic condition and was later diagnosed with cancer (no chemo or radiation therapy).

My overall GPA is around 3.5 and am taking a series of courses this year to drag it higher for the next cycle. I am hoping for four year round As to drag my GPA to around 3.58 and my science to around 3.45. How useful would this upward trend be?

I also have an MPH with a GPA of around 3.6 with a publication.

What MCAT should i shoot for realistically. I am hoping it's not 38 but around 32

My list of schools that I think would be worthy, especially

Albany,
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY schools (all)
NYMC
the new schools (Rowan etc..)
Rush,
Drexel,
Temple

Members don't see this ad.

I think your experience with cancer is something you should bring up and build off of in your applications/personal statement. You could really turn it into a story of how you grew and overcame a difficult challenge, and how you learned what it is like to be a patient. Medical schools love to see upward trends in GPA. And, because of your cancer, you have a valid reason for why you may not have done as well as you would have like to have done in certain classes.

You MPH and 3.6 GPA in a graduate program will help set you apart, as will your publication.

If I were you, I would work exceptionally hard this final year to get straight A's--finishing out the upward trend of your GPA. As stated above, upward trends look really good.

At many medical schools, you MCAT score is more important than your GPA. If I were you, I would take a practice MCAT and see where you are at. Then, from your baseline, you could make a realistic goal about what MCAT score you believe you can achieve. A high MCAT score (34 or 35, with no lower than a 10 in any section) would set you apart and reassure any medical schools that have concerns about your GPA that they have nothing to worry about. You may need to devote months of consistent study to do very well on the MCAT, but it will be worth it when you open your acceptance letters.

But, even if your MCAT score is 30-32, I think you will be successful. Just remember to apply as early as you can (June primary applications, July/August secondary applications).

Good luck! :)

Have you thought about applying to low MCAT friendly schools such as wayne state, michigan state, and newer ones in michigan as well. I believe western and central are finally up and running.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, you fine for these. Add Jefferson, Rush, MCW, Wake-Forest, SLU and Loyola to the list, plus PCOM, NYCOM and Touro-NY

Albany,
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY schools (all)
NYMC
Rush,
Drexel,
Temple[/QUOTE]

As of right now, you fine for these. Add Jefferson, Rush, MCW, Wake-Forest, SLU and Loyola to the list, plus PCOM, NYCOM and Touro-NY

Albany,
Rosalind Franklin
SUNY schools (all)
NYMC
Rush,
Drexel,
Temple
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of your replies. I am very hesitant to write "cancer" on my application since I never had the terminal scare that is often associated with cancer. I actually spoke to an admissions officer and he told me to mention it on an application but don't mention too much as it comes as an "excuse"... so I am 50/50 here.

On another note, I am not considering DO right now. I may want to practice in other countries (internationally) and don't know how it's viewed outside of here.

Should I add Tufts to this list too?