MD & DO NY resident 27MCAT 3.7cGPA where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loguhsl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some help with where to apply to. I know my MCAT is below average for pretty much all MD schools... but do I still have a chance? I'm applying to 5 DO schools but I'm still hoping for MD.

I am from NY, woman, white, 23 yrs
Graduated last semester; Biochem degree
3.68cGPA; 3.41sGPA
MCAT 26 9PS/7VR/10BS
MCAT 28 10PS/7VR/11BS - verbal didn't improve :(
Had at least one job at all times during college
Many, many volunteer hours at 2 private practices (no hospital volunteer work - not sure if that's okay or not)
Briefly volunteered at a nursing home during my freshman year
Over a year of research at Columbia - working on publishing a paper now, but don't know how soon it will happen
Lots of EC's not related to medicine (but they say it's still important? Idk) chess club, dance lessons, guitar, etc.
Committee letter with many recs (PI, two doctors, 3 science profs, 2 non-science)
Currently I'm a chemistry adjunct professor at a community college

Here's my current list. These are schools I already submitted the primary for. Any schools I should add? Big thank you!

New York

* New York Medical College

* Albany Medical College

* SUNY Downstate Medical Center

* SUNY Upstate Medical University

* SUNY at Buffalo Medical School

* Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine

New Jersey

* Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

Pennsylvania

* Temple University School of Medicine

* Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University

* Drexel University College of Medicine

* Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

Connecticut

* Quinnipiac University SOM

Virginia

* The Commonwealth Medical College

Illinois

* Rush Medical College

* Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici

* Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science

DC

* George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci

* Georgetown University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Your main focus has to be DO schools. The 26, 28 combination along with the 7 verbal will make things very difficult MD wise. Also, your combining that with a science GPA that is 0.2 below the average for MD matriculants. That will make things very very difficult.

As for MDs here are the ones worth giving consideration to
NYMC
Albany
SUNY Downstate
Upstate
Buffalo
TCMC
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
Quinnipac

It's hard to really recommend looking into anything more(note there are some I listed you probably are very close to being out of the realm of contention for as well). DO wise you are in solid shape for most. Just take a look at schools average MCAT pages(ie schools like AZCOM probably aren't the best use of an application).

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above. GPA + MCAT retake without significant improvement (and no improvement in verbal) means that you're nearly out of the running for MD schools. Focus on applying to DO schools (all of which you are highly competitive for) and consider a couple MDs (the ones listed above are solid; the only things I would add to that list are Drexel and EVMS).

Also, you have The Commonwealth Medical College listed under Virginia when it's actually in Pennsylvania (though it's true that Virginia is indeed the other commonwealth ;) ). Perhaps you are thinking of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)?

Members don't see this ad :)
For MD you should add Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and Creighton. You are competitive for most DO schools but consider adding a few more schools.

Apply to all SUNYs, Albany, NYMC, new MD schools that have low stats, and ~10 DO schools.

Your main focus has to be DO schools. The 26, 28 combination along with the 7 verbal will make things very difficult MD wise. Also, your combining that with a science GPA that is 0.2 below the average for MD matriculants. That will make things very very difficult.

NYMC
Albany
SUNY Downstate
Upstate
Buffalo
TCMC
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
Quinnipac

It's hard to really recommend looking into anything more(note there are some I listed you probably are very close to being out of the realm of contention for as well). DO wise you are in solid shape for most. Just take a look at schools average MCAT pages(ie schools like AZCOM probably aren't the best use of an application).
Thank you so much for your input. Do you by any chance know if they will actually look into GPA specifics? For example my cGPA freshman year was a 3.4 and sGPA was a 2.7 lol.. but both cGPA and sGPA were at least 3.7 all semesters after. Also for schools that ask to 'discuss any discrepancies in your application' (or discuss anything you were not able to in another part of your application) in their secondaries, should I mention the upward trend since freshman year?

Thank you so much for your input. Do you by any chance know if they will actually look into GPA specifics? For example my cGPA freshman year was a 3.4 and sGPA was a 2.7 lol.. but both cGPA and sGPA were at least 3.7 all semesters after. Also for schools that ask to 'discuss any discrepancies in your application' (or discuss anything you were not able to in another part of your application) in their secondaries, should I mention the upward trend since freshman year?
Adcoms will notice upward trends by themselves, no need to explicitly point at it. Your GPA is 100% great for DO anyways, and isn't the issue at hand w/ MD.

I agree w/ above posts that MD is very unlikely w/ 26+28 MCAT. To save time/effort/money/stress I'd suggest dropping all OOS schools and in state privates, and just apply to the SUNYs. Your only shot (if any) will be there.

You will get into a DO is you apply to ~10 as stated above.

No it'll just come across as whining.

Your GPA isn't what will cause the major problems at MD schools. It's the MCAT which when that low even keeps out tons of 3.9 GPA type applicants from MDs. Those who get into MD schools with 27 MCATs often come from rather lucky states(think West Virginia, North Dakota, Mississippi, Louisiana etc). LIke I said I can only really endorse applying to the MD schools I listed above and even then the odds are against even getting a single II; that's just the reality. Like I said though you won't have any problems with DO schools with a good list.

Looks like DO it is (hopefully)!
Can you guys help me with my DO list, I have 6 so far... I prefer ones that are fairly close to NY (or, if not, then somewhere in a city setting or just a relatively safe area).
Thanks again!

Looks like DO it is (hopefully)!
Can you guys help me with my DO list, I have 6 so far... I prefer ones that are fairly close to NY (or, if not, then somewhere in a city setting or just a relatively safe area).
Thanks again!

I've heard that Western and Touro in CA are beautiful.

You may also try applying to the CUNY medical school which will be opening in 2016. At some point they will be accepting applications for next year. Since it is a new school it may have a relatively low number of applicants the first year so not as competitive as the SUNY's. For DO you have already chosen all the ones near New York so add a few elsewhere in the county. ATSU-SOMA (safe area and in the city), LECOM-Bradenton, MU-COM, VCOM (all 3).

NYMC
Albany
SUNY Downstate
Upstate
Buffalo
TCMC
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
Quinnipac

Why AZCOM not the best use of an application? Bad for out of state applicants?

Why AZCOM not the best use of an application? Bad for out of state applicants?

From what's been said on here they prefer 29+ MCATs. Not necessairly out of reach for you and if your interested go for it but there are many other DO schools that your perfectly in line for stat wise that would probably be better uses of an app unless something draws you there.

From what's been said on here they prefer 29+ MCATs. Not necessairly out of reach for you and if your interested go for it but there are many other DO schools that your perfectly in line for stat wise that would probably be better uses of an app unless something draws you there.
Oh ok, just checking because I wasn't sure why it's a bad choice. But I agree, there are other schools that draw me more and are much, much closer to NY. Thank you & good luck if you're applying this cycle as well!