Where to apply? Nontrad 3.66 GPA with redeeming ~things

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitayathedog

Reaction score
  • Not too concerned with prestige of school but I am interested minimizing my debt and in living in a place that is LGBT friendly (side eye to FL). Worried about my lower-than-median GPA.
  • Been a resident of CA for the past 5 years but just moved to FL since I wanted to do medical scribing but that sure does not pay the bills, so I moved in with my parents. Desperately want to return to CA. Should I move back asap to try to apply as an in-state resident or does it not even matter that much for CA?

Stats
  • Planning to apply 2024
  • Nontrad career changer, graduated with a Bio Bachelor's in 2016 from a top-5 university with a 3.66 GPA. Minor in Public Health. Completed an honors thesis. Master's in Education (all A's except 1 B). Been a high school bio teacher for the past five years, co-director of sci department for a couple years, coached new teachers.
  • Extensive (albeit old now) research experience, including authorship on 1 paper that got published in a very prestigious journal.
  • Old (from when I was in undergrad) but good chunk of volunteering, mix of clinical and non-clinical. Volunteered at a nursing home, high school health educator, and ESL program director.
  • Just started a medical scribe job to get more clinical hours while I study for the MCAT
  • MCAT: just started studying. Plan to take it Spring 2024. Need to study so much because I literally forgot everything except for bio. Aiming for a high score to remedy my mediocre GPA.
  • URM - Latinx (also low-income and gayyy, but I guess these are not as important hehe)

Members don't see this ad.

We need an MCAT score along with a specific breakdown of your shadowing, clinical, non-clinical, and extracurricular experiences to give you a school list. Post another WAMC once you do get your MCAT score back.

Being an URM, albeit I am uninformed on matters of sexuality and its importance in admissions, is important when you apply because depending on your community service and non-clinical experiences, it could strengthen your mission-fit and what specific schools may cater towards your endeavors.

Reactions: 1 user
Moving to WAMC, but it's really impossible to give you good advice without one of the two most important data points (MCAT).

Template??? And MCAT. :)

How much networking have you done with LMSA and/or MSPA?

Minimizing debt: have you looked at NHSC? Would that help you fulfill your calling as a physician?