NYC EM Doc's who would allow a shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

businessmd06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I hope this message is appropriate here. I am a non-trad (own a merchant banking company) who is highly considering a change to medicine. I won't bore you with me reasons, but as in any good decision I feel I should really know what I am getting into. I have a strong desire for the dynamics of EM, as it really fits my personality, but was having trouble figuring out how I may shadow in the ER in order to validate my desire to practice medicine. I am very serious about this, and would appreciate if anyone had input on how I may shadow, or if their are any docs in NYC on the board who would aid me in this process it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how one can observe in the EM dept? Maybe my initial title was too specific....

:rolleyes:

businessmd06 said:
Anyone know how one can observe in the EM dept? Maybe my initial title was too specific....

:rolleyes:

Hi, I'm sure you'll get some more responses if you give it time. Before I got into med school, I just went to the local ED and told them I was a pre-med and wanted to see if I could talk to an ED doctor to shadow him/her.

I think what you could do is go to www.saem.org and go to the link on the left sidebar that says "Residency Catalog" and go to the NY schools contact info and just ask the program coordinator if you can shadow a doctor, or if they know anyone that you could contact about shadowing. That way you are at an ED that is used to having students/EMwannabes around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't be difficult at all to find someone. I agree with prev poster: contact the PD of a residency program. I'll be an attending in Stonybrook in July. If you can make it that far out on the island, I'd be happy to let you shadow me.

beyond all hope said:
Shouldn't be difficult at all to find someone. I agree with prev poster: contact the PD of a residency program. I'll be an attending in Stonybrook in July. If you can make it that far out on the island, I'd be happy to let you shadow me.

I still have about 4 years and 52 days before I would be an attending (or finish residency), but you're welcome to shadow me then hahahahah.

Thanks for the info on the site! I will try that route. Thanks to the both for the opportunity to shadow, although it is unfortunate for your Jack Bauer fan that you cannot complete residency as quickly as Jack Bauer thwarts mass destruction :)

I am not sure how far S. Brook is from NYC but I am guessing a ways? I do have a car, so ya never know!

Thanks again

businessmd06 said:
Thanks for the info on the site! I will try that route. Thanks to the both for the opportunity to shadow, although it is unfortunate for your Jack Bauer fan that you cannot complete residency as quickly as Jack Bauer thwarts mass destruction :)

I am not sure how far S. Brook is from NYC but I am guessing a ways? I do have a car, so ya never know!

Thanks again

I think stony brook is like 50-70 miles into Long Island.

Best thing is to pick a hospital near where you live in the city. Almost all are ready and willing to have premeds. Check with the volunteer office. At SLR, volunteers routinely work in the ED. We are on the west side.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know some of the hospitals around where you are.

NYC attendings are super busy and usually volunteers are told there will be 'no shadowing.' Ok, so at least that's what I was told by about seven hospital volunteer depts. Still, I went to Cornell and had a good time as a volunteer. Docs, staff were excellent. Not crazy like Bellvue but decent and do-able for a volunteer. No shadowing, but it's NY what can you expect? I might try a suburban er (LI/NJ) and see if they are more willing to let a pre-med follow them for a day, etc. Don't take it personally, NYC is so overwhelmed with the pressure of getting stuff done, people in your face, etc. I never found one doc to shadow until I left the city.

The volunteer experience is valuable too, you can see alot more if you are the fly on the wall folding warm blankets, or bringing a patient some hot tea. Plus you actually get to feel like you are doing something sort of valuable. If you work hard and come consistently, the staff will respect you -

I spent a lot of time working in the ED of Lincoln Hospital doing clinical research including taking histories. Mike Radeos is a great guy to work with,

A few of the students in my post-bac program volunteered at Mt. Sinai of Queens and reported that the docs there were letting them do all kinds of procedures including suturing (usually under supervision). However, I had some money as a former lawyer and did not want to get myself in a jam so I passed on that "opportunity".