NYC internal medicine residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scubalove27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on middle/lower tier programs in NYC. How would you rank the following based on academic reputation?

Lenox Hill
St Vincent's
Beth Israel
North Shore LIJ

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on middle/lower tier programs in NYC. How would you rank the following based on academic reputation?

Lenox Hill
St Vincent's
Beth Israel
North Shore LIJ

Thanks.

Believe it or not, North Shore / LIJ is the richest hospital system in NY state. Yes, richer than Columbia and Cornell.

According to the latest Freida, Lenox Hill, St. Vinnys, and Northshore are all large community programs, while Beth Israel is considered a university program (connected to Albert Einstein). NorthShore / LIJ will be a university program in 2011, after Hofstra opens up their brand new medical school.

In terms of ranking, in my opinion, I have --
Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
Northshore / LIJ
St. Vincents

The middle two can be switched around.

Thanks for the thread.

NS/LIJ > BI >> St. V's => Lenox Hill.

And don't kid yourself. They're all community programs. Sure, they all have Univ. affiliations but those are more or less in name only.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I am a little torn about how to rank North Shore LIJ since it will be a university program in the very near future. I doubt the medical school will significantly impact resident training but maybe the program will be ranked higher.

Tarlovcyst, you are definitely right, North Shore LIJ is rich. Lenox Hill is having some money troubles and is going to merge with another area hospital in the near future. They are still in talks, but it is probably going to be North Shore LIJ.

Thanks for the replies. I am a little torn about how to rank North Shore LIJ since it will be a university program in the very near future. I doubt the medical school will significantly impact resident training but maybe the program will be ranked higher.

Affiliated with a med school != University Medical Center except in name. Hofstra's not really a research university so I doubt it will really make any significant impact on faculty recruitment. And it's not like there aren't med students at NS/LIJ as it is. Students from NYU, Einstein and SUNY-Downstate all rotate there so I'm not sure how much different things will be for residents there.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea to open more US MD schools and NS/LIJ is a really good hospital system. I just think that you're going to be disappointed when the rainbows don't appear on the wards the day the med school opens. The impact it is going to have on you as a medicine resident will be minimal to nonexistent. Aside from students rotating on clerkships, I hardly noticed the (96 year old) med school at my residency program.

In addition to Beth Israel, North Shore LIJ, St. Vincent's, and Lenox Hill, how about SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stony Brook, and St. Luke's Roosevelt?

In addition to Beth Israel, North Shore LIJ, St. Vincent's, and Lenox Hill, how about SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stony Brook, and St. Luke's Roosevelt?

Although not from NYC, I will have to say that you would prob take the university based programs (the SUNY's) over the community ones, esp if you're thinking about fellowship. St Luke's Roosevelt is one of the best community programs in NYC. My rank would prob be:

Stony Brook
Downstate
St Luke's Roosevelt
North Shore LIJ
Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
St Vincent's

Tarlovcyst, you are definitely right, North Shore LIJ is rich. Lenox Hill is having some money troubles and is going to merge with another area hospital in the near future. They are still in talks, but it is probably going to be North Shore LIJ.

Indeed, that is a true rumor that Northshore may be buying up Lenox Hill. Many of my attendings are following this issue, since it affects them directly.

And to those who are confusing university programs with community programs, I am just quoting what Freida lists the programs as. Out of the four hospitals listed, only Beth Israel is listed as an university program by Freida. Also, Albert Einstein lists BI as their Manhattan campus university hospital. However, Albert Einstein's main university hospital is Montefiore in the Bronx.

NorthShore linking with Hofstra medical school's primary teaching site makes Northshore a university program in 2011. It's no secret that the richest hospital in NY is trying to make a name for itself. It's also heavily rumored to buy Lenox Hill very soon.

Many community hospitals are affiliated with medical schools, but are NOT university programs. Lenox Hill is affiliated with both SUNY Downstate and NYU, but is a community program. Make sure to not confuse this.

Although not from NYC, I will have to say that you would prob take the university based programs (the SUNY's) over the community ones, esp if you're thinking about fellowship. St Luke's Roosevelt is one of the best community programs in NYC. My rank would prob be:

Stony Brook
Downstate
St Luke's Roosevelt
North Shore LIJ
Beth Israel
Lenox Hill
St Vincent's

Stony Brook and Downstate are definitely higher ranked programs. However, I think that they are often passed over for community programs.

why st vincents so low? i really liked it there. 16 categs and plenty of fellowships in the village

Stony Brook and Downstate are definitely higher ranked programs. However, I think that they are often passed over for community programs.

Why would they be passed over if they are ranked higher? Location?

NS/LIJ > BI >> St. V's => Lenox Hill.

And don't kid yourself. They're all community programs. Sure, they all have Univ. affiliations but those are more or less in name only.

So, initially I thought Beth Israel is a community program too. However, on their website, they claim they're the University Hospital of Albert Einstein:
http://www.bimcmedicine.org/

Are both Montefiore and Beth Israel university hospitals of Einstein? What about Jacobi? Confused......

Members don't see this ad :)
So, initially I thought Beth Israel is a community program too. However, on their website, they claim they're the University Hospital of Albert Einstein:
http://www.bimcmedicine.org/

Are both Montefiore and Beth Israel university hospitals of Einstein? What about Jacobi? Confused......

Montefiore is the university program of Einstein. Beth Israel is a community program which has an affiliation with Einstein (meaning Einstein med students rotate there). I'm not sure about Jacobi though.

Montefiore is the university program of Einstein. Beth Israel is a community program which has an affiliation with Einstein (meaning Einstein med students rotate there). I'm not sure about Jacobi though.

Jacobi also has medical students for third year and fourth year clerkships that rotate through it. It is also an affiliate of Albert Einstein and seems to be a university program. Edit* Any residents from either program want to clear this up?

Jacobi also has medical students for third year and fourth year clerkships that rotate through it. It is also an affiliate of Albert Einstein and seems to be a university program. Edit* Any residents from either program want to clear this up?

Yes, Montefiore is the main hospital of Albert Einstein, but this is only because the medical school is there.

Jacobi is NOT a university hospital, despite its affiliation with AE. Many AE students do rotate through Jacobi, especially for their sub-internships.

I've seen a lot of med students from AE also at Beth Israel. BI is the main university hospital / campus counterpart that is located in Manhattan. Montefiore is in the Bronx.

To clear this up, Beth Israel is a university hospital. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's a large community program. I've met many, including AE students themselves, who were under this common misconception. But then I've also had AE students who thought Montefiore was a large community hospital....

Anyway, it doesn't matter who thinks what. Check FREIDA, the official residency program directory for the AMA. BI is listed as a university program. Even AE lists is as a university program.

End of debate.

By definition Beth Israel is a university program. However, there are university programs with community feels and vice verse. So if your only goal is to go to a university program than Beth Israel by definition is one. But according to my friends at Albert Einstein it's a cush hospital and not very academic (*this is based strictly on heresay, i have not visited the hospital myself*). Just remember that university program is not the same thing as an academic program!

By definition Beth Israel is a university program. However, there are university programs with community feels and vice verse. So if your only goal is to go to a university program than Beth Israel by definition is one. But according to my friends at Albert Einstein it's a cush hospital and not very academic (*this is based strictly on heresay, i have not visited the hospital myself*). Just remember that university program is not the same thing as an academic program!

I have to agree with the statement above. University program does not equal academic program. Montefiore and Beth Israel are both university programs. Jacobi is a community program. Montefiore is definitely more academic then Beth Israel (at least that's the feel I got during my interviews).

I have to agree with the statement above. University program does not equal academic program. Montefiore and Beth Israel are both university programs. Jacobi is a community program. Montefiore is definitely more academic then Beth Israel (at least that's the feel I got during my interviews).

Montefiore and Jacobi are both sponsored by the Einstein med school which makes them both University based programs. In terms of which program is more academic I would say Montefiore>Jacobi>Beth Israel. All the other programs (e.g. BI, Bronx-leb, LIJ) are community affiliated programs with Eistein. Jacobi has a lot of Einstein-based faculty due to its proximity to the Einstein medical school campus. Don't be fooled...although Jacobi is a city hospital it has a strong academic relationship with the medical school (as strong as Montefiore which is the official teaching hospital of the med school). Non of the other Einstein-affiliated programs have such a strong academic connection.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, How about New York Medical Center of Queens? Any good?

Scutwork is not really reliable and often outdated info. If anyone has any info on New York Medical Center of Queens, I 'd appreciated it.
Thanks

Can someone tell me a little bit about Stony Brook's location. I know it's in Long Island in a suburban area but why would that be such a bad thing. What is it about the location that makes it less desirable? Thanks!

Last edited:
Can someone tell me a little bit about Stony Brook's location. I know it's in Long Island in a suburban area but why would that be such a bad thing. What is it about the location that makes it less desirable? Thanks!

Well its at the least an hour drive to queens, and then longer to the rest of NYC. As far as it not being desirable, it depends on what you are looking for. I'm sure a lot of people with a family would be happy to live there. The only negative of the area compared to several other non-urban parts of the country is that the cost of living is still pretty high due to its proximity to NYC. You're not going to be able to buy a house during residency like you can in some places. (unless you're independently wealthy/your spouse is.)

Montefiore and Jacobi are both sponsored by the Einstein med school which makes them both University based programs. In terms of which program is more academic I would say Montefiore>Jacobi>Beth Israel. All the other programs (e.g. BI, Bronx-leb, LIJ) are community affiliated programs with Eistein. Jacobi has a lot of Einstein-based faculty due to its proximity to the Einstein medical school campus. Don't be fooled...although Jacobi is a city hospital it has a strong academic relationship with the medical school (as strong as Montefiore which is the official teaching hospital of the med school). Non of the other Einstein-affiliated programs have such a strong academic connection.

Montefiore is the main university program. No doubt about that. Jacobi actually hosts a lot of Einstein's sub-interns and 4th years. As I spent several months at Beth Israel, I can tell you that it is a university program by definition. But the new PD, Dr. Steinberg, says that it has a community feel to it. As for it not being that academic, I don't know where you get that information. When I was there, they did a lot of teaching on almost every service I had the pleasure to experience. Many of the faculty have Einstein positions. Just because it is not physically close to Yeshiva does not mean it is not academic in nature. There were A LOT of medical students there. I remember seeing not only Albert Einstein kids, but Sackler, NYCOM, and students from other schools around US.

Montefiore is the main university program. No doubt about that. Jacobi actually hosts a lot of Einstein's sub-interns and 4th years. As I spent several months at Beth Israel, I can tell you that it is a university program by definition. But the new PD, Dr. Steinberg, says that it has a community feel to it. As for it not being that academic, I don't know where you get that information. When I was there, they did a lot of teaching on almost every service I had the pleasure to experience. Many of the faculty have Einstein positions. Just because it is not physically close to Yeshiva does not mean it is not academic in nature. There were A LOT of medical students there. I remember seeing not only Albert Einstein kids, but Sackler, NYCOM, and students from other schools around US.

Hi thanks for your response. I did not imply that BI was not academic. I was just trying to say that compared to Montefiore and Jacobi, the other Einstein affiliated programs are less academic in nature. As an Einstein student I did rotations in all the affiliates, except Bronx Lebanon. It is common knowledge among the Einstein students that for most rotations if you really want to get a real glimpse of intern year as a sub-I, you would do your rotations either at Jacobi/Weiler or Montefiore. Many Einstein students that do rotations at BI do so because it is in Manhattan and they get free housing for the length of the rotation. It is also regarded as cushier sub-I compared to the other two. Most Einstein students that end up in very competitive IM programs did their Sub-I at either Montefiore or Jacobi/Weiler...there are of course exceptions, but this is generally the case. I guarantee you that the IM match list of Montefiore and Jacobi are significantly more impressive than that of the other Einstein programs (including LIJ). I still think that BI is a solid IM program among the many IM residencies that are in the NYC area

I was really impressed with NSLIJ's program, especially their teaching. But I am having a hard time getting a feel on the interview day if the residents are happy and if they see enough diverse pathology. Also, anyone know if they favor their own for Cardiology?

THANKS

I was really impressed with NSLIJ's program, especially their teaching. But I am having a hard time getting a feel on the interview day if the residents are happy and if they see enough diverse pathology. Also, anyone know if they favor their own for Cardiology?

THANKS
Class of 2009
Nephrology Fellowship, SUNY Downstate, NY
Ethics Fellowship North Shore-LIJ; Gastroenterology Fellowship North Shore-LIJ Health System 2010
Rheumatology Fellowship, North Shore-LIJ Health System
Nephrology Fellowship, North Shore-LIJ Health System
General Internal Medicine Practice, Kaiser Permanente, CO
Hospitalist, North Shore-LIJ Health System
Gastroenterology Fellowship, University of Connecticut, CT-2010
Chief Resident, 2009-2010 North Shore-LIJ Health System
Endocrinology Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, NY
Hospitalist, Montefiore Medical Center, NY
Hematology/Oncology Fellowship, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, NJ
Nephrology Fellowship, Long Island College Hospital, NY
Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship, North Shore-LIJ Health System
Gastroenterology Fellowship, North Shore-LIJ Health System
Chief Resident, 2009-2010; Cardiology Fellowship, North Shore-LIJ Health System 2010
General Internal Medicine Practice, AZ
General Internal Medicine Practice, Rush Copley Medical Center, IL
Hematology Oncology Fellowship, St. Vincent's Hospital, NY
Doctors Without Borders
Chief Resident, 2009-2010 North Shore-LIJ Health System
Hospitalist, North Shore-LIJ Health System; Cardiology Fellowship, Ochsner Medical Center, LA
Hospitalist, Hospital for Special Surgery, NY

Resident Graduating Class 2008
Internal Medicine Practice
Hospitalist
Cardiology Fellowship, North Shore-LIJ Health System
Hospitalist, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship, Beth Israel Medical Center
Pulmonary Critical Care Fellowship, North Shore-LIJ Health System
Internal Medicine Practice, North Carolina
Allergy and Immunology Fellowship, Long Island College Hospital
Pulmonary Critical Care, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Allergy and Immunology Fellowship
Anesthesiology Residency, St. Luke's Roosevelt
Hepatology Fellowship, SUNY Downstate
Hospitalist, Florida
Palliative Care Fellowship, North Shore Long Island Jewish
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency UT Southwestern, Texas
Dermatology Fellowship Residency, Georgia
Rheumatology Fellowship, NYU

Resident Graduating Class 2007
Hospitalist, Emory Hospital Atlanta, GA
Hospitalist, North Carolina
Rheumatology Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
Hospitalist, North Shore University Hospital
Chief Resident, 2007-2008, Endocrinology Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital 2008
Hospitalist, Columbia Memorial, Hudson, NY
Hospitalist, Southampton Hospital, Southampton, NY2007, Nephrology, Fellowship, Lenox Hill, 2008
Cardiac Imaging Fellowship, St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, NY
Palliative Care Fellowship 2007, NSLIJ Health System, Infectious Disease Fellowship, U of Connecticut 2008
Nephrology Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital
Cardiology Fellowship, Westchester County Medical Center
Chief Resident, 2007-2008, Cardiology Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital 2008
Rheumatology Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital
Hematology Oncology Fellowship, St.Vincent Medical Center, NYC
Nephrology Fellowship, New York University School of Medicine
Hematology Oncology Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital
Hematology Oncology Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital
Chief Resident, 2007-2008, Cardiology Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital 2008
Hospitalist 2007, South Side Hospital, Bay Shore, NY Cardiology Fellowship, University of Wisconsin 2008
Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital
General Internal Medicine Practice
Hospitalist 2007, North Shore University NSUH, Hematology Oncology Fellowship, NSLIJ Health System 2008
Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine Fellowship, North Shore University Hospital
Last Update
October 7, 2009

They seem to take their own residents for many of their in-house fellowships based on the above info

They seem to take their own residents for many of their in-house fellowships based on the above info

Thanks for your info! Anyone else have any info on NSLIJ IM program? Their salary is pretty sweet but are their residents seeing a lot??

Thanks for your info! Anyone else have any info on NSLIJ IM program? Their salary is pretty sweet but are their residents seeing a lot??

I also liked NSHS when I was there awhile back. They used to and still have the highest paying IM salary in the country. Manhasset is a beautiful area too.

Northshore stands to be a major player in NY in the future. They are already combined with LIJ, and are now linking up with Hofstra to become a more academic and university program. They are definitely expanding. Rumor is that they are the frontrunner to buy Lenox Hill to open up a Manhattan campus. They are certainly trying to top Albert Einstein to be in the top 5 IM programs in NY.

As for fellowships, I'll give you my bit on it, as I tell all medical students -- if you're thinking about subspecialty in IM, go to the best university program that you can. There is a lot of meaning in this phrase, and I'm sure you've heard it a lot. But to keep it simple, as you move higher in the food chain, where you go and name / reputation matters. If you have a university program better than Northshore and you felt the same, rank it higher. Northshore is still untested, because the complete merger hasn't happened yet.

Northshore's fellowship list is deceiving, because it doesn't show that the three residents that matched into cardiology also a did a chief residency year. Compared to the top 5 IM programs in NY, I didn't think Northshore did that well. For the 2009 GI match, there were only 2 successful ones. What the posted list doesn't tell you is the backstory. For example, one of those two that matched into GI also has a PhD and is extensively published in gastroenterology.

Most that go into Northshore want to do primary care or hospitalist work. The residency is more cush than the NYC programs. There is less scut, but also less teaching.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your thread.

What is the best IM residency program among all the AECOM sponsored programs, in term of academic enviroment and Fellows plac...
I understand that Montefiore is the University Hospt...but I'm not sure about the rest...
Please if any resident at Jacobi can share some info...

I also liked NSHS when I was there awhile back. They used to and still have the highest paying IM salary in the country. Manhasset is a beautiful area too.

Northshore stands to be a major player in NY in the future. They are already combined with LIJ, and are now linking up with Hofstra to become a more academic and university program. They are definitely expanding. Rumor is that they are the frontrunner to buy Lenox Hill to open up a Manhattan campus. They are certainly trying to top Albert Einstein to be in the top 5 IM programs in NY.

As for fellowships, I'll give you my bit on it, as I tell all medical students -- if you're thinking about subspecialty in IM, go to the best university program that you can. There is a lot of meaning in this phrase, and I'm sure you've heard it a lot. But to keep it simple, as you move higher in the food chain, where you go and name / reputation matters. If you have a university program better than Northshore and you felt the same, rank it higher. Northshore is still untested, because the complete merger hasn't happened yet.

Northshore's fellowship list is deceiving, because it doesn't show that the three residents that matched into cardiology also a did a chief residency year. Compared to the top 5 IM programs in NY, I didn't think Northshore did that well. For the 2009 GI match, there were only 2 successful ones. What the posted list doesn't tell you is the backstory. For example, one of those two that matched into GI also has a PhD and is extensively published in gastroenterology.

Most that go into Northshore want to do primary care or hospitalist work. The residency is more cush than the NYC programs. There is less scut, but also less teaching.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your thread.

THANKS so much. This was just the candid info that is most helpful!

What are people's thoughts on AEM in terms of fellowship placement, clinical training, and resident happiness? thanks!

There is only one definition of University vs Community based programs. In a University Program the Chairs of the Departments in the hospital are also chairs of the departments in the Medical School. If the Chairs are only chairs in the hospital and the medical school has separate chairs then the program is an affiliate of the university program but it's still a community based program. That said there are many, many highly academic community based teaching programs but don't let the name of the hospital or what they say on their website fool you. If the departments in the hospital and the med school are not run by the same people then it's not a university program. There are approximately 120 university based internal medicine programs in the US and about 280 community based internal medicine programs. There is a full range of quality of training in each.

Good luck in the match.

What are people's thoughts on AEM in terms of fellowship placement, clinical training, and resident happiness? thanks!

Montefiore does excellent in fellowship matches. The residency programs works the house staff very hard, and scutwork is worse at Monte than most other NYC programs. Clinical training is outstanding. It's such a huge academic program that many of the top doctors are attracted to AE. Resident happiness has been hit or miss over the years. They use a Firm system, which divides the 60 residents per class into three smaller groups. Sometimes, this promotes a better support system, but sometimes, it promotes segregation among residents within the same PGY class. If you have a choice to go to Montefiore, it's really about what you value more. You will work hard for sure, but fellowships will be at your fingertips. If you don't care much about fellowships, the scutwork, paperwork, and Firm system may do you under.

Montefiore does excellent in fellowship matches. .

Tarlovcyst i have to disagree with you about the fellowship matches. I thought it was an overall great place to train as a clinician and good for some subspecializations such as heme onc and pulm but when it came others especially GI and cards, i felt that it was just ok or less than ok.

Most folks tend to apply as R3 and although this might be a choice thing, the vibe i got was that they did not feel comfortable going into the match at that point. I also remember one of the hemeonc bound R3 saying Gi was not too great coming from them

Someone please correct me if i am wrong. Thanks

Tarlovcyst i have to disagree with you about the fellowship matches. I thought it was an overall great place to train as a clinician and good for some subspecializations such as heme onc and pulm but when it came others especially GI and cards, i felt that it was just ok or less than ok.

Most folks tend to apply as R3 and although this might be a choice thing, the vibe i got was that they did not feel comfortable going into the match at that point. I also remember one of the hemeonc bound R3 saying Gi was not too great coming from them

Here is the 2005 to 2009 (unfortunately cumulative) Fellowship match for the top 3 IM fellowships:

Cardiology
Einstein / Montefiore / BLEB Bronx, NY
Einstein / Montefiore Medical Center Bronx, NY
Beth Israel Medical Center New York, NY
Cooper University Hospital - UMDNJ Camden, NJ
Maimonides Medical Center Brooklyn, NY
Mt. Sinai Medical Center New York, NY
Mt. Sinai / Elmhurst Medical Center Flushing, NY
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Medical Center Manhasset, NY
Rush University Chicago, IL
St. Luke's-Roosevelt Medical Center New York, NY
SUNY - Downstate Brooklyn, NY
SUNY – Stony Brook Stony Brook, NY
Westchester County / NY Med Valhalla, NY

Gastroenterology
AECOM / Montefiore Medical Center Bronx, NY
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center New York, NY
Long Island College Hospital Brooklyn, NY
Mayo Clinic Hospital Scottsdale, AZ
North Shore University Hospital Manhasset, NY
SUNY- Albany Albany, NY
SUNY - Downstate Brooklyn, NY
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Philadelphia, PA
UC Davis Sacramento, CA
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School Newark, NJ
UMDNJ – Robert Wood Johnson New Brunswick, NJ
University of Miami - Jackson Memorial Miami, FL
University of Nebraska Lincoln, NE
University of Rochester Rochester, NY
University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA

Hematology/Oncology
AECOM / Montefiore Medical Center Bronx, NY
Columbia Presbyterian Hospital New York, NY
Mt. Sinai Medical Center New York, NY
National Cancer Institute Bethesda, MD
NYU Medical Center New York, NY
Stanford University Palo Alto, CA
SUNY – Stony Brook Stony Brook, NY
University of Arkansas Medical Center Little Rock, AR
Yale-New Haven Hospital New Haven, CT

For cards grads tend to stay mostly in NY- is this by choice?
For GI, looks like 60:40 in favor of NY.
For H/O, I was surprised that no one went to MSKCC, DFCI, UPenn (or other big NE institutes), MD Anderson etc.

Thanks Phineus

Considering that they have so many residents per class and this is their 4 year record, i'm still not impressed.

Dont get me wrong. Monte is still a very good program but i just dont think it provides much advantage for getting into 2 of the top 3 subspecialities.

My 2 pennies :)

Many of the Monte residents are from the tri-state area (NY. NJ, CT) and PA cities and many want to stay in NYC or close. The local fellowship matches is a reflection of that. The residents from Columbia, Cornell and Sinai might be more geographycally diverse in terms of where they attended medical school and might be more flexible to attend fellowship in other cities as well.
Although the Monte program is very good and strong I don't think it is the first choice for many new yorkers/locals who want to be in NYC. Monte is generally a program that med students match into because they did not interview or match at Columbia, Cornell, Sinai or NYU but still want to stay in a university based and academic internal medicine program in the city.

Many of the Monte residents are from the tri-state area (NY. NJ, CT) and PA cities and many want to stay in NYC or close. The local fellowship matches is a reflection of that. The residents from Columbia, Cornell and Sinai might be more geographycally diverse in terms of where they attended medical school and might be more flexible to attend fellowship in other cities as well.
Although the Monte program is very good and strong I don't think it is the first choice for many new yorkers/locals who want to be in NYC. Monte is generally a program that med students match into because they did not interview or match at Columbia, Cornell, Sinai or NYU but still want to stay in a university based and academic internal medicine program in the city.

I'm very curious about that statement. Are the residents matching to local programs because they cannot get in anywhere else or just because of preference? If its based on preference then why not more competitive fellowships like Yale/Columbia/Cornell/Sloan/NYU in the area? Don't get me wrong, I think matching a cards/GI/hemonc fellowship is a great thing but for those individuals who care about the 'prestige' of the fellowship program vs just matching into a program, this might be a deal breaker.

I'm very curious about that statement. Are the residents matching to local programs because they cannot get in anywhere else or just because of preference? If its based on preference then why not more competitive fellowships like Yale/Columbia/Cornell/Sloan/NYU in the area? Don't get me wrong, I think matching a cards/GI/hemonc fellowship is a great thing but for those individuals who care about the 'prestige' of the fellowship program vs just matching into a program, this might be a deal breaker.

Monte is a very big program with many residents applying for many of the same fellowship programs in NYC and surrounding areas. It would be very hard for one program to match all their residents to the most competitive fellowships in one of the most competitive areas and cities in the country...it is just not realistic. If you happen to be medical student or resident in NYC, you will understand the obsession of many students/residents to never leave the area even if it means training in a less competitive place. If you have many residents applying for the same fellowships, in addition to having to compete with each other for the same spots, they are also competing with residents from the other big NYC, New England, and Philly as well. So, in a class of 60 residents where most residents either want to go into cardiology, gi or heme/onc and in addition to that they really want to stay in NYC, CT, or NJ you can understand how the match results might not be as impressive. I know of many NYC residents that give up fellowships in amazing places just because they are not in NYC and end up staying in less known/competitive places just because of the location in NYC.
When I applied to renal fellowship the first time, I actually gave up my interview at UCSF and when I went to PENN was stupid enough to let them know that I would rather be in NYC than philly when PENN was arguably the most famous program in my ranking list. At the time, I did not have any interest in training anywhere else but New York

Monte is a very big program with many residents applying for many of the same fellowship programs in NYC and surrounding areas. It would be very hard for one program to match all their residents to the most competitive fellowships in one of the most competitive areas and cities in the country...it is just not realistic. If you happen to be medical student or resident in NYC, you will understand the obsession of many students/residents to never leave the area even if it means training in a less competitive place. If you have many residents applying for the same fellowships, in addition to having to compete with each other for the same spots, they are also competing with residents from the other big NYC, New England, and Philly as well. So, in a class of 60 residents where most residents either want to go into cardiology, gi or heme/onc and in addition to that they really want to stay in NYC, CT, or NJ you can understand how the match results might not be as impressive. I know of many NYC residents that give up fellowships in amazing places just because they are not in NYC and end up staying in less known/competitive places just because of the location in NYC.
When I applied to renal fellowship the first time, I actually gave up my interview at UCSF and when I went to PENN was stupid enough to let them know that I would rather be in NYC than philly when PENN was arguably the most famous program in my ranking list. At the time, I did not have any interest in training anywhere else but New York

Agreed!

...Gi was not too great coming from them...

You're probably right in that respect. Many people are giving valid replies here. I have a friend who is a Monte residency grad last year and wanted GI. He didnt match anywhere (mostly applied to local programs). Felt Monte didnt exactly take their own. Other than that it is a great training program for most everything else.

Everything you're saying is spot on about training in NYC. People are desperate to stay or come here. I'm one of them now :D Actually regretting my decision big time - current resident at Monte and am leaving at the end of this year. If you want 100 hour work weeks, spending half your time dealing with social issues and the other half running scut, this is the place to be.

NYC in general is not an easy place to train. Because so many people want to be here, many put up with being treated like dirt. Facilities are generally run down. The patient population can be thankless and extremely difficult to deal with. You need tough skin and have a high tolerance for dealing with BS. Just my .02.

Many community hospitals are affiliated with medical schools, but are NOT university programs. Lenox Hill is affiliated with both SUNY Downstate and NYU, but is a community program. Make sure to not confuse this.

I'm not sure if this was already addressed in the rest of the thread but I just came across this. I'm not sure if you're talking about the other specialties at NYU, but I'm assuming since this is the IM forum, you're not. There is no affiliation between Lenox Hill and NYU at the level of the internal medicine residencies. I trained at NYU and never saw or heard of any such thing.

best of luck to you all in your application process.

NYC in general is not an easy place to train. Because so many people want to be here, many put up with being treated like dirt. Facilities are generally run down. The patient population can be thankless and extremely difficult to deal with. You need tough skin and have a high tolerance for dealing with BS. Just my .02.

100% correct.but man, I'll tell ya, there's nothing like it. At a lot of these programs you walk away with a huge sense of accomplishment and with the confidence and clinical expertise it takes years to cultivate at other training institutions. But definitely not for the weak of heart...

So as far as Heme-Onc -- Monte matched 3 to Cornell and 1 to Stanford last year. Also matched to NIH, NYU, Sinai, Monte, Yale.

MSKCC I hear interviewed 1/4 -- I am sure interviews are somewhat dependent on where you go to residency...

My guess (and only guess) is that some Heme Onc places care about the name of the residency and then consider individual characteristics and others look more individually. Obviously research, letters of rec, who you know, performance in residency etc. all matter.

Hi, I was wondering how you would go about ranking these programs in the NYC (and broader NE area) for IM.

Lenox Hill, SUNY Downstate, St. Vincent's, Beth Israel, St. Luke's Roosevelt, North-Shore,

and Outside of NYC:
UMass, UConn, Cleveland Clinic, Lahey Clinic

Still deciding whether or not I want to stay in NYC for residency, so if people would rank for me the programs. I am not sure how to approach it all.

Thank you.

Hi, I was wondering how you would go about ranking these programs in the NYC (and broader NE area) for IM.

Lenox Hill, SUNY Downstate, St. Vincent's, Beth Israel, St. Luke's Roosevelt, North-Shore,

and Outside of NYC:
UMass, UConn, Cleveland Clinic, Lahey Clinic

Still deciding whether or not I want to stay in NYC for residency, so if people would rank for me the programs. I am not sure how to approach it all.

Thank you.

All are good programs it depends on what you liked during the interview day and what your goals are.You can get a good fellowship out of all these programs.People's rankings will be subjective.Some say go to a university program but many of the technically non university programs in NY that you listed are pretty good programs.So its really up to you.

All are good programs it depends on what you liked during the interview day and what your goals are.You can get a good fellowship out of all these programs.People's rankings will be subjective.Some say go to a university program but many of the technically non university programs in NY that you listed are pretty good programs.So its really up to you.

I agree. I have heard very good things about St Lukes Roosevelt. UMass and Cleveland Clinic are also phenomenal programs, and its more about whether you want the "university/prestige" tag to help you with your career ahead or not. I suspect if you want to do private practice it will not be much of an issue (so no one can argue with a person trained at CCF, but job opportunities in NYC are always easier if you train in NYC). So your decision would have to be balanced between your career aspirations and ultimately the place that you want to live/practice in, even if not now, but say, 5 years hence.