NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when finals end next year? Is it may or june? I'm just curious because I cannot find the academic schedule and need to take one more class next summer to finish my mph but it starts in late may.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when finals end next year? Is it may or june? I'm just curious because I cannot find the academic schedule and need to take one more class next summer to finish my mph but it starts in late may.

I pretty sure it ends in late May, but I'm not 100% on that. They won't have an upcoming schedule for a while.

hi i was just wondering if this school is known to accept mostly instate students, i really like new york and wanted to apply but i would much rather save the money if the school doesnt offer acceptances to many people oos. sorry if this has been asked before in this thread

Members don't see this ad :)
hi i was just wondering if this school is known to accept mostly instate students, i really like new york and wanted to apply but i would much rather save the money if the school doesnt offer acceptances to many people oos. sorry if this has been asked before in this thread

It does seem to have somewhat of an in-state bias, but plenty of people OOS get in as well. It's definitely worth applying to.

so i got the dpc application a few months ago in the mail.. havent heard anything back so i'm assuming i didnt get in.. anyone hear about dpc that applied for it?

DPC apps are processed in the summer. You will hear mid summer regarding your status. It's quite competitive usually, with 2x the number of apps than spots.

for the lecture based and DPC...I'm guessing the lecture based is 5 days/week and is this true for DPC?

DPC sessions are 3x a week for 2 hours, at least in the past. (Usually MWF). There are purely clinical classes and other sessions as well as the Anatomy/OMM labs on the other days. In all, it is still a LOT less class time.

M

The orientation packet said you need to purchase the following text asap and start reading it asap.- Bate's Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking 10th Edition. Any comments?

The orientation packet said you need to purchase the following text asap and start reading it asap.- Bate's Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking 10th Edition. Any comments?

There are a bunch of copies at the library. You'll only really be reading it to cram for DPR questions on exams. I never bought it and only did the reading maybe 2 times over the past 2 years and haven't had a problem.

The only books that I've actually used are the dissector, Rohen's atlas, Netter's flashcards, Robbins and Lippincotts biochem. (Plus First Aid, BRS Phys and RR Path but those are more for boards.)

I don't believe it said ASAP, but if that's how you wish to take it... :D

Yeah, I ordered the book online soon after I read that and will probably be getting it soon...but that was only because I wanted to get it cheap(er). I won't actually look into it for a while; I'm in no hurry to jump into med school...

Speaking of the orientation packet however...any current students have any advice on good stethoscopes/sphygmomanometers/opthalmoscopes to get?

I don't believe it said ASAP, but if that's how you wish to take it... :D

Yeah, I ordered the book online soon after I read that and will probably be getting it soon...but that was only because I wanted to get it cheap(er). I won't actually look into it for a while; I'm in no hurry to jump into med school...

Speaking of the orientation packet however...any current students have any advice on good stethoscopes/sphygmomanometers/opthalmoscopes to get?

Please, please use the library copies of Bates. I really dislike that book. You don't (IMHO) need to buy it. If you can find a used copy online that will suffice, physical examination doesn't change much over time.

As for med supplies, Welch Allyn usually comes to campus the first week to sell kits. If anyone is interested in purchasing my used (but relatively perfect kit) you can PM me. You can also find kits on eBay often in June/July. Welch Allyn makes the standard best models of most ophthal/otoscopes and BP cuffs. The only thing i recommend you buy separate is the Stethoscope-go Littmann for the best of those for your money-I prefer the Cardiology series, NON-ELECTRONIC.

Please, please use the library copies of Bates. I really dislike that book. You don't (IMHO) need to buy it. If you can find a used copy online that will suffice, physical examination doesn't change much over time.

As for med supplies, Welch Allyn usually comes to campus the first week to sell kits. If anyone is interested in purchasing my used (but relatively perfect kit) you can PM me. You can also find kits on eBay often in June/July. Welch Allyn makes the standard best models of most ophthal/otoscopes and BP cuffs. The only thing i recommend you buy separate is the Stethoscope-go Littmann for the best of those for your money-I prefer the Cardiology series, NON-ELECTRONIC.

Thank you for the info!

I won't be anywhere near the library during this summer, so I bought it for myself...but yes, I got the cheapest copy I could find online; I don't care for its condition as long as it's readable. :p

I have heard from others as well that Littmann is the best for stethoscopes, so I'm definitely going to look into their stock. Would it be recommended to wait until classes begin and browse/buy from those that visit the school?

Thank you for the info!

I won't be anywhere near the library during this summer, so I bought it for myself...but yes, I got the cheapest copy I could find online; I don't care for its condition as long as it's readable. :p

I have heard from others as well that Littmann is the best for stethoscopes, so I'm definitely going to look into their stock. Would it be recommended to wait until classes begin and browse/buy from those that visit the school?

You can do either-just FYI, if you are in lecture based you are REQUIRED to have this stuff but won't use it a whole lot, unfortunately. DPR classes are where you learn physical diagnosis, and you are in groups so you get limited use. You still gotta have it by perhaps the second month (Octoberish) though, assuming the intro/Fundamentals course is the same length. You can look at the schedule to see more closely when you get there in August. If you are in PBL/DPC, you need the equipment pretty much right away and will use it a lot more than the lecture-based group.

For questions, by the way, I spent only my first two years at NYCOM, and was in the DPC curriculum (inaugural class). I was pretty well acquainted with the lecture based setup too, though. I have only anecdotal info on rotations/clinicals. Hope that helps.

M

As others have said, bate's is pretty much useless. Don't bother reading anything off it this summer. Skim it (from a copy in the library) before tests for some DPR lab questions on exams.

The only four useful books I have used have been Robbins, Harrisons, the Grants dissector, and Rohen's atlas (I really didn't like netters, others have though)

Last edited:

For what you are going to need as a medical student, a cheap Littmann II SE will suffice. No need to shell out the big bucks for a Littmann Cardio III. AS for the Otoscope and such, get the cheapest one you can. You will only being using it for your neuroexams. You will be able to use the wall equipment during ICC encounters. I have only used my otoscope a total of 2 times. Total waste of money IMO. I guess its good if you have little kids and want to save some $$ on a doctors visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
For what you are going to need as a medical student, a cheap Littmann II SE will suffice. No need to shell out the big bucks for a Littmann Cardio III. AS for the Otoscope and such, get the cheapest one you can. You will only being using it for your neuroexams. You will be able to use the wall equipment during ICC encounters. I have only used my otoscope a total of 2 times. Total waste of money IMO. I guess its good if you have little kids and want to save some $$ on a doctors visit.

Our orientation packet mentions that we need to get a stethoscope with double tubing (one tube to each ear piece). Does anyone know if this is required, or will the Littmann Classic II SE be alright?

As others have said, bate's is pretty much useless. Don't bother reading anything off it this summer. Skim it (from a copy in the library) before tests for some DPR lab questions on exams.

The only four useful books I have used have been Robbins, Harrisons, the Grants dissector, and Rohen's atlas (I really didn't like netters, others have though)

So would you suggest not even buying the textbooks in the syllabus and going with more comprehensive books such as those you mentioned?

As for stethoscopes, it sounds like the double-tubing is required, which the II SE doesn't have I believe...

So would you suggest not even buying the textbooks in the syllabus and going with more comprehensive books such as those you mentioned?

As for stethoscopes, it sounds like the double-tubing is required, which the II SE doesn't have I believe...

Exactly, don't buy the text books. Wait and see, take a look at them in the library and then decide what to buy (this will save you tons of $$).

It really doesn't matter which stethoscope you use for the first 2 years. None of the DPR doctors care as long as you have one (even if it's the cheapest model out there).

I just saw my final award letter...and it's a whopping amount of money.

Is there any way to tell approximately how much I actually need and by how much I can reduce the amount? Is there a deadline up to which point I can't change the amount I get? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Guys, if you're looking for Welch Allyn medical batteries, I'd visit this place: www.batterytex.com. They have pretty good Stuff (and shipping, etc.).

Guys how do I look for NYCOM?

NY State Resident, URM
GPA: 3.74
MCAT: 26ish (haven't taken the test yet)
ECs: Good to above average

Can anyone tell me how NYCOM ranks?

PROS/CONS? Thanks!

Can anyone evaluate my chances? (up two posts)

What are the average MCAT and GPA for NYCOM?

The average for the class of 2012 was 3.5 overall, 3.5 science, and 27 MCAT. I think you have a good shot assuming the rest of your app is solid (rec, extracurricular, etc), apply early and broadly

Do you think that I would be at a disadvantage if a instead took the August MCAT this summer instead of the one coming up June 18th? I would most certainly be applying a bit later if I took the one in August, but MAY have a better MCAT score.

PROS/CONS? Thanks!

BUMP

Could someone please address this.

I am a bit concerned about what I have heard about NYCOM's 3rd and 4th year rotations.

PROS/CONS? Thanks!

BUMP

I am a bit concerned about what I have heard about NYCOM's 3rd and 4th year rotations.

You might want to post this on the Osteopathic school specific thread vs. this pre-osteopathic. Having med students actually attending NYCOM can give you a better idea than those waiting to start.

Pro: There are a lot of great hospitals on LI. I worked in 4 (of the many) - LIJ, NSUH Manhasset and NSUH Glen Cove and Winthrop.
From the matchlists, many students for quite awhile have matched into a lot of good hospitals.

Con: It's expensive, not just the school but housing costs.

Good luck :luck::luck::luck::luck:

BUMP

What are you concerns? If you explain that maybe someone could help to answer the question. I personally haven't heard any horror stories...

i am on the priority waitinglist at NYCOM and wanted to know if anyone knows the status and if/when the list could start to move. I called and they said nothing has moved yet. does anyone know what has happened in previous years. thanks

I am going to take it that what concerns you is that post in the Pros/Cons of your medical school thread a couple days back.

Here's the deal, I only know of ONE DO school (UMDNJ-SOM) that has its OWN teaching hospital (correct me if I'm wrong here). Just about every other DO school, NYCOM included, have to do their 3rd and 4th year rotations at other affiliated hospitals that may or may not be part of the schools GME program. That's the way it is. DO school don't have luxury and convenience of a large university hospital. If you want that, then you are going to have to apply to an MD program. The thing that NYCOM does have, however is strong affiliations with some very big hospitals in the new york area. For example, 3rd years can do internal medicine and surgery rotations at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset. A fantastic hospital (check it out yourself). NYCOM also has NUMC (Nassau University Medical Center) which is part of SUNY stony brook's teaching hospitals. NYCOM students can also opt to basically do EVERY rotation they want at one hosptial if they apply to do a regional there. There are various places that offer nycom students to do regional's such as NUMC, Coney Island Hosp, Good Sam hosp, Lutheran Medical center, Maimonides Medical Center (affiliated with SUNY downstate), St. Barnabas Hospital in the bronx. One can opt to do a regional clinical campus in NJ using the St. Barnabas Heath Care System of NJ (A collection of various hospitals in northern NJ including Newark Beth Isreal (affliated with UMDNJ-NJMS), Clara Mass Hospital and St. Barnabas NJ (also affiliated with UMDNJ-NJMS). One can ALSO opt to do a northern NY tract for 3rd year where they do their rotations at various hospitals up there.

The point I am trying to make is that you have many options of what you can do during your 3rd year. You can choose if you want, to do it all at one hospital. You can pick and choose what hospitals you want to do (via the lottery), you can go to NJ, or you can go upstate NY. Some people might be out of touch with the actual school if they are in upstate NY or NJ. Others might have more contact with NYCOM admin if they choose to do their rotations at NYCOMEC hospitals (the ones we have residency spots at, and believe me we have ALOT of residency spots in EVERY specialty including Derm, Ortho, ENT (Facial Plastics), we even have one of the new DO residencies for neurosurgery at NSUH-LIJ.

Of course we don't have an actual HEAD of Surgery or a Surgery department or a Head of Internal med because WE DON'T HAVE A UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL that is solely nycom's. As I said before, if you want to have a BIG univ hospital, then you are only going to get that from MD schools. If, however, you want to go to a school that lets you do many rotations in many BIG hospitals in the New York area and gives you a shot at doing your residency at some big hospitals in the nyc area, then nycom will suffice.

I hope I answered your question.

EDIT: Also, during 4th year, you only have to do 2 out of the 10 required rotations, electives and SUBI's in the NYCOM system. The rest you can do at any hospital in the US (you can also do one rotation in a foreign country as a 4th year). Just this year, NYCOM now allows students do a 4 week elective in any field at any hospital during your 3rd year.

Last edited:
Anybody know if NYCOM has section cutoffs for the MCAT?

i am on the priority waitinglist at NYCOM and wanted to know if anyone knows the status and if/when the list could start to move. I called and they said nothing has moved yet. does anyone know what has happened in previous years. thanks

How do you know there is a priority waitlist? I was told there was only one waitlist and no ranking within it.

Thanks,
Allicat

How do you know there is a priority waitlist? I was told there was only one waitlist and no ranking within it.

Thanks,
Allicat

From the previous years, it seems that there was a priority waitlist...and a regular waitlist.

However, I was told the same thing you were told. One list, no ranking.

For all you waitlisters, come join in on the fun at... "NYCOM waitlist C/O 2013"
The thread is pretty dead but I know there are more out there..

I'm not doing anything too exciting this summer, and I was hoping someone could give me a heads up on what I could study before starting school in August. I've had a lot of free time over the past year, and I'd really just like to help my case however I can for M1.

Anybody, please?

Don't do it. It won't make a difference and you'll be studying just as much during first year no matter what - enjoy your summer of freedom, seriously.

so is nycom really pass/fail?

if so, how do current students feel about it? does that make the grading less stressful or are you even more determined to get the top honors grade?

any input would be great. thanks :)

Yes it's honors/pass/fail. The top 10% in each system get honors and passing is usually 70 (depending on the sd, but the lowest it will go is 65).

The system has pros and cons. A 90 will look the same on a transcript as a 70, so if you're on the lower end of passing this is a good thing. If you're the 90, however, it can be frustrating.

how does that work for when you apply to residencies? how do they compare your grades to everyone else's if you, say, just passed all of your courses?

thanks for the input...i'm just trying to understand this whole P/F thing!

how does that work for when you apply to residencies? how do they compare your grades to everyone else's if you, say, just passed all of your courses?

thanks for the input...i'm just trying to understand this whole P/F thing!

From being at the school, having the majority of the grades for students being just "P" is normal, but I think it does hurt a little bit when programs compare to other schools that have 5-grade systems (ie H, HP, P, LP, F). Also, for 3rd year rotations you have to ace the exam to get an H, your performance eval, even if perfect cannot get you honors.

In my time at NYCOM the phrase P=D.O. is not uncommonly heard. However, for residencies there is more than just grades; there are board scores (which is really the only way to compare students across schools), LORs, your CV and your personal statements, as well as your performance on rotations if you were able to do one at that program and/or facility.

thanksss!

ok, one more question about the p/f system and i'll stop...how do you get ranked at NYCOM then? it seems then a lot of people would be even in terms of how they are doing.

thanksss!

ok, one more question about the p/f system and i'll stop...how do you get ranked at NYCOM then? it seems then a lot of people would be even in terms of how they are doing.

Some students related to me that they had anecdotally found out their "rank" in mid 4th year. Some schools do make it public (more MD schools), but NYCOM is not one of them. You are correct in assuming a lot of people would be "even". Usually (many DO schools use this way) the school ranks students by number of H grades and such, and then uses the top percentiles to delineate a few different phrases in the MSPE (ie the new term for the Dean's Letter).

For instance: the Dean's Letter ALWAYS says solely positive things about the student, but there may be a paragraph that differs based on their rank. Average students may get "we recommend this student" while above average get "we highly recommend this student" and top students get "we highly recommend this outstanding student". Some schools have 5 different lines instead of 3.

This sounds overly complicated, but the end story is: some residencies will wait for the MSPE to give you an interview, but not ONE asked me anything about it. Some residency PD's stated frankly they think it's useless and they don't even really look at it. Not that you should blow off class and grades, but just a general idea. Residencies see your transcript before the Dean's Letter so eyeballing a bunch of P's versus and bunch of H's has a bigger impact than the pseudoranking on a Dean's Letter.

Hope this helps-good luck.

So did anyone else receive anything about their status for DPC? I just got the accepted email. Good luck to all who have applied.

:highfive:

So did anyone else receive anything about their status for DPC? I just got the accepted email. Good luck to all who have applied.

:highfive:

Got it today as well...congrats and good luck to all the others who applied

Congrats! Enjoy not having a life and living in the library!! :D

Having completed the DPC first two years, I found my extra time very valuable. I NEVER stepped foot in the library, to be honest. I had a staple of books that worked for me. I only streamed the Anatomy lectures. I found it a much better way (for me) to learn, and the clinical skills component was way more advanced. But, to each thine own.

hey guys!

i got an email today about refund information...and I clicked on the link they gave to create an account... but what is the payer ID they ask to provide?

hey guys!

i got an email today about refund information...and I clicked on the link they gave to create an account... but what is the payer ID they ask to provide?

It's your 6 Digit ID number. If i remember correctly, you get that during orientation.

It's your 6 Digit ID number. If i remember correctly, you get that during orientation.

We have already received our ID numbers in a previous piece of mail. :D

Also, I got accepted into DPC as well, but since the time I applied to it (back in December) I have changed my mind. I don't think I'll be taking the acceptance, so someone else who truly wants it could get it. :)

Anybody have any tips on getting into NYCOM besides good MCAT/GPA?

We have already received our ID numbers in a previous piece of mail. :D

Also, I got accepted into DPC as well, but since the time I applied to it (back in December) I have changed my mind. I don't think I'll be taking the acceptance, so someone else who truly wants it could get it. :)

What made you change your mind? You know you can change your mind after trying it out for a week!