NYCPM Pre-Matriculation Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBeDPM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone joining me in the NYCPM Pre-mat program this summer? Where are you all living ?

Members don't see this ad.

As of now, I'll be staying in Draper. Then Parkchester in Sept. What about you?

I'm actually applying for the fall of 2008 I'm just trying to get some really good experience because I am very interested in the field. Draper? I heard they are not going to be using Draper anymore? Roach Motel? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you doing this pre-matriculation program? Just for the experience?

Yes, experience- as well as gaining some first hand knowledge of how the program is up in New York and having something else to impress NY and other pod schools with...why do you ask?

Just out of curiosity. It seems that shadowing a DPM would be enough to gain insight as to what kind of job they do and what the field is like. They allow you to schedule a day for an "exploratory visit." I would suggest for you to do that before you commit yourself for most of the summer. I will be doing that next month.

Just out of curiosity. It seems that shadowing a DPM would be enough to gain insight as to what kind of job they do and what the field is like. They allow you to schedule a day for an "exploratory visit." I would suggest for you to do that before you commit yourself for most of the summer. I will be doing that next month.

I am just curious, but how can you give advice to some one when you haven't even shaddowed yet? This is not even just a "from my experience" point of view.

Some people only need to shadow others need a few weeks of seeing the school in action.

If you are undecided spending a few weeks in the summer is not a bad idea.

I am just curious, but how can you give advice to some one when you haven't even shaddowed yet? This is not even just a "from my experience" point of view.

Some people only need to shadow others need a few weeks of seeing the school in action.

If you are undecided spending a few weeks in the summer is not a bad idea.

If you remember from my other post, I stated that I have shadowed. It was actually the director of podiatry at Maimonides, who is a NYCPM graduate. My point was that it would be a good idea for the OP to go there for a day and check it out before he commits a decent chunk of his summer to a program. I was letting him know of that opportunity in case he wasn't aware. I would think this makes sense.

Speaking as a current podiatric extern and having over a year's worth of hours in volunteering and assisting podiatrists and podiatric assistants in hospitals and in veteran's clinics, I agree that shadowing a physician is a great way to have a better idea and 'larger picture'. Its really a great way for a person to decide whether or not this field of medicine is right for him/her. I would recommend you talk to local podiatrists and ask them for the chance to shadow as well. Summer programs are also a good thing to take into consideration as well; I'll be attending the OCPM summer internship this June and from talking to OCPM alumnas and alumni; they said the program helped in strengthening your commitment. I just want to wish the OP good luck in the summer program and take everything in! Congrats for getting into the program! Maybe we can trade perspectives and opinions when we finish our internship, eh? Best of luck, mate! :thumbup:

Regards,

The interesting thing about this program at NYCPM compared to the two others (Temple and Ohio) is that for one thing, its 5 weeks long. The internship goes 4 days a week. Students who are in undergrad, taken more than 80 credits of college classes, and did not apply to pod schools can do the summer program for free.

Students who are not in undergrad or accepted NYCPM students who are required to do this pre-matriculation program pay $700. There is housing available at Draper Hall (across from Metropolitan Hospital) which costs $1,125 for the 5 weeks. If you are commuting and a college student, then the program is free. If not, then it is pretty expensive!

You get to shadow 3rd and 4th year students in the clinics for 2 days a week. Furthermore, "interns" take the beginning portions of 2 basic science classes (either phyisiology, biochemistry, or histology). You spend 2 days a week doing the lab portions of these courses as well. I believe you have tests every week and receive one overall grade at the end of the program. Another portion of this program focuses on study/time management in pod medical school.

Talk about alot of work eh? lol.

By the way, this is kinda off topic, but anyone taking human anatomy this summer at all? I'm taking Human anat I and II this summer just for fun (no not really, as it also helps in the bio part of the mcat) lol. But ya, i know several students in my summer class are pre-med and are taking it before they matriculate this fall 2007. Anyone else in my boat?

Does anyone know what classes are being offered this program?

Anyone joining me in the NYCPM Pre-mat program this summer? Where are you all living ?

I will be joining you. I still don't know where i will be living. I might be getting a place with my sister. I'm worried about the classes for the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 out of these 3 classes: physio, biochem, or histology.

I asked the admissions people the other day and they told me the professors didn't decide yet.

Why are you worried about the classes? It's only a small taste of what the real schedule is like at pod med school.

2 out of these 3 classes: physio, biochem, or histology.

I asked the admissions people the other day and they told me the professors didn't decide yet.

Why are you worried about the classes? It's only a small taste of what the real schedule is like at pod med school.

No reason... just nervous, I get that way.

so there is only 2 classes in this program? Im confused its a 6 week program how is this going to work? A class for 3 weeks and then u get a grade? Can someone please explain how this program is going to work?

I wrote this a few days ago and it pretty much explains everything. Yes you get a grade at the end of the program. I heard from admissions the 2 CLASSES go the entire length of the internship. Supposedly you have a test every week as well.

There are 3 parts of the internship: the two classes with labs, shadowing in the clinics, and time management/study skills.

Just curious, did you get accepted to this program?

The interesting thing about this program at NYCPM compared to the two others (Temple and Ohio) is that for one thing, its 5 weeks long. The internship goes 4 days a week. Students who are in undergrad, taken more than 80 credits of college classes, and did not apply to pod schools can do the summer program for free.

Students who are not in undergrad or accepted NYCPM students who are required to do this pre-matriculation program pay $700. There is housing available at Draper Hall (across from Metropolitan Hospital) which costs $1,125 for the 5 weeks. If you are commuting and a college student, then the program is free. If not, then it is pretty expensive!

You get to shadow 3rd and 4th year students in the clinics for 2 days a week. Furthermore, "interns" take the beginning portions of 2 basic science classes (either phyisiology, biochemistry, or histology). You spend 2 days a week doing the lab portions of these courses as well. I believe you have tests every week and receive one overall grade at the end of the program. Another portion of this program focuses on study/time management in pod medical school.

Just like the title states...I'm just wondering why you guys are doing the summer pre-matriculation program at NYCPM? More experience in podiatry, seeing if NYCPM is a good school for them, etc?

I understand some students are conditionally accepted to NYCPM but have lower grades/test scores and the school makes them complete (and pay for) the summer program. Their "final" acceptance to the fall class is based on how they do at this internship.

I'm doing the program this summer. I have not decided on where I'm going to live. However, after reading some of the posts about Draper Hall...I am sort of leaning towards Parkchester. Anyone from out-of-state that is attending NYCPM Pre-matriculation program?

Hey lovely,
did they say you could stay in parkchester for the summer? I was told byt the admissions people that all the summer pre-matric. people stay in Draper (or commute) for 5 week summer session. Let me know what you heard.

Thanks

Yes please let us know! I am coming from out of state and have heard some pretty bad things about Draper :thumbdown: and sweet things about Parkchester...Are you starting this fall or the fall of 2008? Also...are you coming one day before and staying one day after?

My name is Saul Amezcua, I am the Associated Student Representative for Stewart University School of Medicine. We are a brand new medical school that is located in Clear Lake, Northern California which is located 1.5 hours away from Sacramento. We were found in 2007 and the school is still in the process of getting accredited by the World Health Organization to be eligible to take the USMLE step 1.

This accreditation is guaranteed and will take place before you are scheduled to take the USMLE Step 1. We are the first medical school to be opened in the US in over forty years. We offer the equivalent instruction as other medical schools with lectures by professionals who hold a Phd or an MD in their field. We have students currently enrolled with undergraduate and graduate degrees. We also have students with clinical and surgical experience, who like many of us just want to study medicine.

We do require the normal prerequisite courses as other medical schools but as of now, we do not require an MCAT, however this is subject to change when the number of applicants significantly increases.

We offer an accelerated 34 month program leading to the Doctor of Medicine degree (M.D.). Our program is not shorter than other medical schools its merely just compressed. We are currently taking applications and any questions will be answered by our staff. You will find that we are significantly more affordable than other schools. If you are looking for a chance to study here in the US, we have it at Stewart University New Scotland International School of Medicine.

I can be reached at
[email protected]

I think this is one of those foreign medical schools that is trying to/operating in the US. Ross University (based on the island of Dominica) tried to do that a few years back in Wyoming. Anywho, its a bunch of BS!

I will be receiving a housing packet soon from NYCPM so I will know for sure as to whether we can stay in Parkchester or if we have to stay in Draper...let's hope its Parkchester...

I will be receiving a housing packet soon from NYCPM so I will know for sure as to whether we can stay in Parkchester or if we have to stay in Draper...let's hope its Parkchester...

Am i the only one thats really nervous of doing bad in this program?

Were you conditionally accepted to NYCPM and they are requiring you to take the summer program to go into the fall class? Or do you plan on applying to NYCPM in the future? If my final acceptance was contigent on getting a certain grade in the summer program, then I would definitely be somewhat nervous as well. Also, if I was planning on applying to NYCPM for an upcoming class, I would be more nervous about the program too. I'm not sure if the NY adcom's would use the summer pre-matriculation "grade" in determining one's acceptance but it may play a role.

The other situation would be if you just taking it to learn more about pod med school, basic sciences, to shadow,etc. I think this would be less nerve-racking.

Overall, I'm actually curious how many people in the summer pre-matriculation program are being required to take it (conditional acceptance) to those who taking it to learn about podiatry, NYCPM, basic sciences, etc.

I'm curious about that too...I'm more excited than nervous...I doubt that this program is supposed to be insanely competitive and difficult to perform well in....I want to do well, no doubt, but at the same time, it will be a fruitful experience regardless of how tough the classes are...

I'll be from out of state. If someone has any other ideas for housing in the City, I'm open to exploring those with you (for the duration of the 6 week program). As far as the school year, I'm hoping to be in Hoboken, NJ--but those plans are still pending.

What other options are there? Anyone?

What other options are there? Anyone?

look on craigs list. there are always people looking to sublet for the summer, near columbia, NYU and any other college in the city.

You can also look on columbia's website for housing (it may be password protected).

And try the village voice www.villagevoice.com

I have been looking at Craigslist and some of these sites that Krabmas posted...there are some places close to NYCPM that are interesting...But everything is still pretty expensive...You don't end up saving too much money compared to the dorms..(I've been looking at 3 bedroom places thinking 2 others would room-up?)...But if anyone finds anything, let us know!

...The Good News for those who are still considering dorming and for those who have...Parkchester is available for us Summer Students. So for whoever wants to live in Parkchester instead of Draper " :thumbdown: " .. just give NYCPM a call and they will arrange it for you..Supposedly Parkchester is furnished and large and nice compared to Draper which is small, old etc..and for the same price, I'd like to stay in a nicer place even though that is not my main concern while at the program...

..Krabmas and other NYCPM students...I know you've shed some light on the differences...what do you recommend for us summer students in terms of housing? Parkchester? Draper? Sublets?....or- who cares, just focus on the program!

I have been looking at Craigslist and some of these sites that Krabmas posted...there are some places close to NYCPM that are interesting...But everything is still pretty expensive...You don't end up saving too much money compared to the dorms..(I've been looking at 3 bedroom places thinking 2 others would room-up?)...But if anyone finds anything, let us know!

...The Good News for those who are still considering dorming and for those who have...Parkchester is available for us Summer Students. So for whoever wants to live in Parkchester instead of Draper " :thumbdown: " .. just give NYCPM a call and they will arrange it for you..Supposedly Parkchester is furnished and large and nice compared to Draper which is small, old etc..and for the same price, I'd like to stay in a nicer place even though that is not my main concern while at the program...

..Krabmas and other NYCPM students...I know you've shed some light on the differences...what do you recommend for us summer students in terms of housing? Parkchester? Draper? Sublets?....or- who cares, just focus on the program!

draper is closer and actually in the city (manhattan). If it is important to you to live near bars and clubs and nightlife then live at draper.

If space and comfort and commuting are important chose Parkchester.

Both come furnished.

Ask the admissions where most students are staying. This is more important, I think, for study groups. People study in the dorms where they live.

And yes, all of manhattan is expensive, even Harlem. Many people find a 2 bedroom apartment that has a dining room or large living room and convert it into a 3 bedroom. It seems expensive to do this for only a few months though.

I would recommend staying where most of the students are staying or subletting for the summer. For sublets, if you find one in a good location, just call and offer them something, most people would rather have even half the money instead of letting the place go empty and having to pay all the rent.

hey I asked Tahara in NYCPM the person in charge of the pre matriculated program and she said we can not chose where we will be dorming its on a first come bases and they pick for u. So basically if we chose to dorm they pick either spot for us. which kinda sucks cause i want draper! :oops:

You'll more than likely get Draper, Parkchester is available on a limited basis, so if you request for it, you'll most likely get it since most incoming students don't know about the option...Also, Tahira told me there are only 5 students that requested housing so far...so there aren't too many of us...I just requested that I be placed where most of the other students are :thumbup:....Are you starting in 2007 at NYCPM? Or are you applying for the Fall of 2008?

For those of you living at NYCPM for the summer program...I'm sure you've all heard...we are all living in Parkchester...Draper won't be available...so..we'll have to make that 15 minute commute...sweet..:thumbup:

For those considering NYCPM here's some honest advice. Don't!! It is a third rate school stuck in Harlem with mediocre training. There are other "Real Podiatry" schools you should consider instead. Schools attached to a bigger institution/DO program. I was at NYCPM for my basic sciences and luckily I transferred just in time. The quality of education and staff at my current institution is beyond anything NYCPM has to offer and my tuition is only a couple of thousand dollars more. The students are far more professional and really know why they are in Podiatry and not because they got rejected at their first school choice or don't know where to go after college. At NYCPM at least half of my former class was pretty much bottom of the barrel college material, hence the 33% failure rate on the boards Part I!! 25% is a consistent failure at NYCPM. Of course there is that excellent batch of students that succeed despite NYCPM's mediocre program. But that is far in between. Their big pitch is "hands on clinical" experience. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!! me, and my other classmate who also transferred, he was one of the top students at NYCPM (I was more like a B student), were so behind our 3rd year peers we had to spend taking Summer classes to catch up. Biomechanics, surgery, ortho, etc... Granted, the LE and biochem (as well as the path lab with Dr. L) courses were rather good. But Dr. B switched to Touro and I think Dr. D already left the program too so there you have it.
Draper Hall is an overpriced craphole. Couldn't even plug the tv and toaster at the same time without causing a short. A horrible place at best. Now students get to dick around NY finding a place to live!!
I keep in touch with some of my former classmates and it is the same old story!! You should inquire about what happened last Summer at West Penn and their email to the Clinical Ed head guy at NYCPM!
There are far better Pod schools out there with better facilities and top training. NYCPM banks on the fact that most of their student body has no choice. They will at least get 2 years of tuition, since they will pass about anyone, cheaters and all. Their computer labs are falling apart yet they built a beautiful conference room within months just to honor one of their board members who passed away. Etc.. etc...
Also note that there are residencies and externships that do not take NYCPM students. My friend, A++ student at NYCPM, applied to a program in Texas and they told her straight out, NYCPM students should not apply. Also at our last residency fair there were at least 3 residencies who flat out told me that they did not take NYCPM students into their program. I didn't ask about Barry or Temple (I heard they are not good schools either). All in all, NYCPM is not worth the time and money and I think some of you will find out the hard way. Apply to bigger better schools. Make sure that it is Podiatry that you want to do for a living. If you just jump in because you did not get into an MD or DO program, you will be miserable!! I happen to think Podiatry is a great field, I spent a whole Summer shadowing this Pod Doc just to make sure. Pod is changing, at least where I am, training is getting better and there are some great opportunities out there. Attend Pod conferences and get yourself acquainted with the Specialty. It is a lot more exciting than what you think. It is not all about toe nails and debridement. Good luck to you all.

For those considering NYCPM here's some honest advice. Don't!! It is a third rate school stuck in Harlem with mediocre training. There are other "Real Podiatry" schools you should consider instead. Schools attached to a bigger institution/DO program. I was at NYCPM for my basic sciences and luckily I transferred just in time. The quality of education and staff at my current institution is beyond anything NYCPM has to offer and my tuition is only a couple of thousand dollars more. The students are far more professional and really know why they are in Podiatry and not because they got rejected at their first school choice or don't know where to go after college. At NYCPM at least half of my former class was pretty much bottom of the barrel college material, hence the 33% failure rate on the boards Part I!! 25% is a consistent failure at NYCPM. Of course there is that excellent batch of students that succeed despite NYCPM's mediocre program. But that is far in between. Their big pitch is "hands on clinical" experience. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!! me, and my other classmate who also transferred, he was one of the top students at NYCPM (I was more like a B student), were so behind our 3rd year peers we had to spend taking Summer classes to catch up. Biomechanics, surgery, ortho, etc... Granted, the LE and biochem (as well as the path lab with Dr. L) courses were rather good. But Dr. B switched to Touro and I think Dr. D already left the program too so there you have it.
Draper Hall is an overpriced craphole. Couldn't even plug the tv and toaster at the same time without causing a short. A horrible place at best. Now students get to dick around NY finding a place to live!!
I keep in touch with some of my former classmates and it is the same old story!! You should inquire about what happened last Summer at West Penn and their email to the Clinical Ed head guy at NYCPM!
There are far better Pod schools out there with better facilities and top training. NYCPM banks on the fact that most of their student body has no choice. They will at least get 2 years of tuition, since they will pass about anyone, cheaters and all. Their computer labs are falling apart yet they built a beautiful conference room within months just to honor one of their board members who passed away. Etc.. etc...
Also note that there are residencies and externships that do not take NYCPM students. My friend, A++ student at NYCPM, applied to a program in Texas and they told her straight out, NYCPM students should not apply. Also at our last residency fair there were at least 3 residencies who flat out told me that they did not take NYCPM students into their program. I didn't ask about Barry or Temple (I heard they are not good schools either). All in all, NYCPM is not worth the time and money and I think some of you will find out the hard way. Apply to bigger better schools. Make sure that it is Podiatry that you want to do for a living. If you just jump in because you did not get into an MD or DO program, you will be miserable!! I happen to think Podiatry is a great field, I spent a whole Summer shadowing this Pod Doc just to make sure. Pod is changing, at least where I am, training is getting better and there are some great opportunities out there. Attend Pod conferences and get yourself acquainted with the Specialty. It is a lot more exciting than what you think. It is not all about toe nails and debridement. Good luck to you all.

I respect your stand, charlie, but here is my response.

It's your prerogative to acquaint us with your negative experiences at NYCPM, but as you said yourself, you don't know anything about Barry or Temple. Why include them in your defeatist tirade?

I would hope that we can agree on at least this:

1. There are really fantastic podiatrists and there are very bad podiatrists. In all 8 schools.

This is funny.

So you're a B student in a "mediocre" school, so what are you now at your new school?

:rolleyes:

^^ I was wondering the same exact thing!

charlieisadope.....Temple isn't a good school? You're an idiot if you think/say that.

This is very damaging info, I just wish you identified yourself. I hate people who say things like this under a new pseudonym. We only have 8 pod schools. I hope this kind of talk does not restart the my school is better than yours kind of discussions. Once I got accepted into Temple, I canceled all my pending interviews, including one from a school attached to a DO program. I hope Pre Pods reading this will understand that many things posted on SDN are opinions, not facts. If you can afford, go interview at all schools and see for yourself.

I know nothing about residency selection, however IMO, if I was a residency director, transfering schools will be a red flag. Just saying that school is no good would not cut it.

I think it is very short sited to say that the school is no good after only one year.

Maybe it was not the right place for you.

If it is the right school for you then you will do well. Unless you know going into pod school that you want one particular residency and they do not take NY students it does not matter. However I will say that it is very unfortunate that a few students "mess it up for the rest of us" does happen at NYCPM. I cannot say that it does or does not happen from other schools. Unfortunately when programs get only a few students from NYCPM that student good or bad is the only thing that the program has to equate with the school. And they usually equate said student with the school and not just "oh that student was aweful" it is "oh those NY students".

I did hear about a story with West Penn. I heard from someone who heard from someone.... so I will not comment.

I know who the other person who was the A student who transferred was. He went to Arizona. I do not know who this poster is.

I used to think that students should transfer from NYCPM or not go there at all. All the schools have issues and there are disgruntled students from all the schools. They are just not as verbal as NY students.

fair enough. I agree. I still stand by my comments on NYCPM. the only people who would disagree are those who might be affected by NYCPM's ill reputation. If anything they should be up in arms about the quality of education they are getting. But they are taken for granted, all NYCPM cares about is their budget, which by the way they won't invest in their student body. It took them years to replace their torn up NYCPM banner. If they can't even take pride in the most basic, a clean campus, there is no hope for them. This is in no way an attack on the NYCPM students who do care about the profession. I have good friends in that program. But they do have a bunch that are there because they have nowhere to go and don't care. They give all of us a bad name!! A few hospitals already complained about their professionalism. The school already knows about it but they just let it be.

I know who you are talking about, and so far the transfers have been well incorporated into the program. We have 4 or 5 total including a couple from Chicago and Ohio. I was at NYCPM before you I think, finished my basic sciences there, and I am familiar with all the issues with your class. Path, pathophysio, one of yours forging a Doc's signature, West Penn, etc.... I wish you the best. Have they built the hotel yet or the dorms they promised all around that area?? They couldn't get that conference room for Dr. F fast enough!! Beautiful floors and all, but your computer labs are falling apart!!

I know who you are talking about, and so far the transfers have been well incorporated into the program. We have 4 or 5 total including a couple from Chicago and Ohio. I was at NYCPM before you I think, finished my basic sciences there, and I am familiar with all the issues with your class. Path, pathophysio, one of yours forging a Doc's signature, West Penn, etc.... I wish you the best. Have they built the hotel yet or the dorms they promised all around that area?? They couldn't get that conference room for Dr. F fast enough!! Beautiful floors and all, but your computer labs are falling apart!!

Who is this a response to?

Geez, I go on vacation for a bit and more junk gets put on these forums. Here is some real advice. For anyone interested in podiatry, go look at the schools that you might want to go to and check them out for yourselves. NEVER take the word of anyone else, because they may not be like you or be looking for the same things.

Now onto the heavier issues. Not sure where third rate came from but some of the best teaching institutions are in urban areas such as areas of NYC, LA, Miami, etc. I have never had a problem there. Not only do I feel I received a great education and training, but I also learned how to connect with my patients so that they remembered me. In fact, I see and greet many of my patients in local eateries if I go out for lunch. I think this is good, especially when you think of how it applies to a practice and building up patients.

As far as level of education, every school will have stronger professors in some courses, perhaps weaker professors in others. It is all the same material though...bones are the same in NY as in CA or FL last time I checked.

Not sure how you can comment on the "hand on clinical" aspect of NYCPM since you were only there for the Basic Sciences. Afterall, clinic starts in the 3rd year. When reading that part of your post I smelt something funny and had to check my shoes to make sure I hadn't stepped in anything. That may have been BS.

"More like a B student" sounds more like you weren't doing that well and probably not getting B's.

As far as the students at NYCPM, there are those that are more motivated, those that follow, and those that are a bit less motivated. This is the same no matter where you go. And I say this because every residency program that I visited on externships told me that the top students are the same from every school, the bottom students are the same at every school, and the middle students can vary slightly. From talking to my friends at all the other schools (that I met @ West Penn's open house and conferences), they all complain about professors, the administration, and their fellow students. The grass always looks greener on the other side but it's all the same.

Teachers leaving because they find a better offer or because they want to retire seems like an interesting way to judge a school. If every school was judged this way, every school would stink. Then where would everyone learn?

As for West Penn...some students that went there were not as prepared as they should have been and perhaps thought that since they were away from school, no one would be watching and slacked off a bit. Not that these are excuses but I'm sure it happens at every school and is more of an exception, not the norm. I went to West Penn, worked hard, and got along with everyone great. Others that went had similar experiences. One girl did the same as I did and will be going there for residency. Students from NYCPM may still go to West Penn but now have to apply just like every other clerkship. This is because West Penn has so many residents that they need to limit how many students go there on Senior Surgery rotation.

As for the Draper dorms and Parkchest apts....I have friends in each, I visit them, and they seem very nice. My friends all seem to like where they are. Others have gone out and found apts. in the NYC area. They didnt' seem to have trouble and also seem happy about where they are at. Maybe you just aren't a master electrician and had too much stuff going....happens everywhere. In college, my apt had one outlet for the whole living room and there were three of us with computers, a TV, radio, etc. and we survived.

The computer labs seem fine to me....walls are still up, ceiling hasn't fallen, computers work. Not sure what you are talking about. And maybe the conference room that was built had money donated specifically for the project. Do you think funding had something to do with the project being done? Other rooms have also been refreshed a bit. There are even plasma TVs in the classrooms now. Takes a lot of time and money to change things sometimes.

Now let's discuss the topic of residencies and selectivity. Some places don't want NYCPM students, others don't want students from all the other schools. Sometimes there is a reason, sometimes people favor their alma maters. There is the slight chance that some people have no reason for their decision and are just a bit odd. I don't know any attending or director that doesn't want a motivated, intelligent, hardworking, reliable person...regardless of school. But you seem to have so much knowledge....who am I, someone that has gone through 4 years and the residency selection process, to disagree with your astute findings.

No matter what school you go to, if you are motivated and want to learn...you will. There has got to be a reason that NYCPM has been around so long as has produced many of the doctors that have helped bring this profession out of the shadows and into the limelight.

The fact is that I believe I know who you are from speaking to people and to be honest, I never really liked you on a professional level. You seemed to be very arrogant and expected everything to be handed to you. Based on my observations and the fact that your entire post was filled with opinions and junk, it's my opinion that your level of reasoning is way off. Maybe that is why you were "more like a B student" and seem so very bitter. Either way the school will go on and continue to produce great students like many that are in my class that is set to graduate in a month.

I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors though and hope that you will become one of the people that tries to unify the profession and help make it better, rather than complain about everything and come across as a bitter jerk.

The last few lines of your posting were actually very good though. If you only put those lines I would have agreed with what you had to say.

I still think Draper is lacking. I would not stay there. I visited several times. It is a good location and a good price for NYC but I would not live there.

I'd take my chances with a crazy roomate from craigslist 1st.

Just reading over the thread, noticed there wasn't any actual commentary towards how the NYCPM Summer Program actually turned out for any of you. Any opinions, advice, etc?