NYCPM vs. Kent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bug530

2nd Year NYCPM
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to NYCPM (still waiting to hear from DMU and AZ) and am wondering whether to even bother going to my interview at Kent. I was flat out told by one of the pods I talked to to not go to Kent as it wasn't that good of a school but another says they've improved a bit. NYCPM looks decent by the numbers but I just noticed they have a 71% graduation rate which seems pretty low to me. Are they just booting all the students who can't cut it or are they really that much better. What's causing such a low graduation rate?

Members don't see this ad.

Kent is a better school overall than NYCPM with better facilities. However the education is all what you put into it. Go to a school that is going to give you the best chance to get a great residency and a great job after.

See I was already under the impression that Kent had better facilities but I couldn't find their stats on their website which is what scared me off. NYCPM does seem to have good board pass rates and residency placement but the 71% graduation rate kinda makes me wonder if that even means anything. I decided I will go to the interview and get a little better informed before I make the decision. I'm still a little nervous about they way they schedule their tests, having so many all at once.

Go where you feel you fit best. Numbers from schools are fun and all but how do they calculate 71%? Is that a 4 year rate? 5? 6? Nobody knows. NYCPM is a fine school. So is Kent. So are AZ and DMU. As far as which school is "better," I saw a post on a board back when I was applying that ranked schools based on climate, strength of local sports teams, etc. Obviously these were all complete satire, but it illustrates the point that you have 9 schools awarding DPM degrees. You will get out what you put in wherever you go.

Reactions: 1 user