NYU pros and cons...just wondering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
got accepted to NYU and I am going to attend...but I am just wondering about some of the pros and cons about the school that any of you guys have heard...Also...if anyone else has been accepted this 2005-2006 academic year please indicate...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dentalhopeful said:
got accepted to NYU and I am going to attend...but I am just wondering about some of the pros and cons about the school that any of you guys have heard...Also...if anyone else has been accepted this 2005-2006 academic year please indicate...thanks

PROS
Plenty of patients
NYC
Lecture attendance is optional

CONS
Costs one arm and two legs to attend
You are literally a 'number' (i.e. 133553) not a person
Class size of 300
Lecture attendance is optional

I am sure there are things that I am missing that others can add to.

Bottom line, you made it! Get in there, learn as much as you can and get the hell out! Congratulations!!! :thumbup:

i could be wrong, but it might be easier to be really high in your class at NYU. the school seems so lax that if you are a gunner, you could easily be in that top 5% of your class.

Members don't see this ad :)
This of this… you wanna be top 5% in class to specialize, but there is a bunch of international students (already experienced dentists from another countries) sitting in your same class and going over the same material all over again. Guess what you chances are going to be like to rank high?!

I heard, from a friend currently at NYU, that not all of the 300 accepted students will graduate, since the school only allows less than 200 students to graduate, so basically you are competing with the other NYU students for a spot in the class. This is also true for BU.

balance said:
I heard, from a friend currently at NYU, that not all of the 300 accepted students will graduate, since the school only allows less than 200 students to graduate, so basically you are competing with the other NYU students for a spot in the class. This is also true for BU.

Never heard that about BU, BU's incoming class is much smaller than NYU's. If I'm not mistaken, it's about 115 people.

NYU's cool. I mean you take from it what you want. If you do well, youll like it. If not, you wont. I think that would be true for any other school too. Of course there are little quirks that tick you off a little here and there, but so far I have no big complaints.

Dear all
As a graduating senior from nypoo i can tell you that the school sucks. Please apply and get accepted to other schools, even if it means waiting for another year.

I recommend going somewhere else....unless this is the only place you get in. However, they are remodeling the clinics and adding a much nicer student lounge with a couple plasma tvs.

As a graduating senior myself, I agree with most of what JMJRDH1 has said about pros and cons of NYUCD. I don't know what year he or she's in, but majority of classes are not optional, especially all the non-dental related ones like Health promotion, ethics, Bio-terrorism, etc. :thumbdown:
I've been around this forum, and everytime someone mentions of NYU, then people jump on the bandwagon saying "ooh, I've heard they drop like 100 people" or "it's really easy to be in top 5%" or something of that effect.
Well, I can tell y'all right now that there are more than 300 of us graduating this year, so you can do the math.
And being in 5% of any school isn't gonna be easy. And if you've been reading this forum, you shoud know NYU is not a "lax" kinda school. I know some of those who are in the top 10% of our class(OKU), and their work ethic, GPA, board scores are just as good as top students from other dental schools in U.S.
It's true that the school can be very unforgiving and majority of us suffer from high stress, but from what I've seen from other dental school collegues, I can't really say NYU is much worse than others. One more thing about the Part 1 board scores, the school gave us 1 week study break before the exam(this was before the computerized exams). Someone upstairs had an ingenious idea of putting our class in the clinic for the first time for 1 week, 2 weeks before the Board, then give us one week study break then bring us back. Why couldn't they give us that extra week?
But, after all, it really shouldn't be the school that drives you. Maybe I am becoming a bit sentimental, because it's getting close to the graduation, but I feel like if I can make it here, then I can make it any where~ :laugh:
And as for my future collegues,
yes, NYU really sucks sometime, well maybe the most of times, but suck it up.
As much as it sucks, there are some good people in here to willing to give you a hand.
If you're thinking about specializing, starting to show your faces around their clinic early. Each Dept. usually accept at least 1 or 2 from the graduating class.
Once you're in the clinic, take advantage of different clinics; like Rosenthal center, TMJ clinic, Implants, O.S. in Bellvue, whatever interests you. I really liked working in the esthetic center, my patients loved it too. It's very modern, contemporary looking clinic. (This is where our tuition went)
And since not many of us participate in research, you could do that. NYU just got like 26.7 million grant. One thing about this school, it's all about Money. All that Nursing school stuff, I suspect that the money was the main issue.
Anyway, first 2 years, study like you have no life what so ever, because that's when they will try to drop you. Once you make it to 3rd year, then you'll be making money for them and plus you'll be paying tuition so they are less likely to drop you. So I think they came up with this bright idea. There's a new clinic production requirement in effect from next year (starting from current D3) so if you don't make enough money for them, then they will drop you. This is a bad idea. Students don't have any choices of accepting certain kinds of patients, if you're lucky you're gonna get a patient who needs 3 Endos, 5 crowns and wanna get veneers, or you can get a denture reline patient. So I don't think it will work. Just try to keep up with others, then they can't fail you as long as you're in somewhere in middle.(Good Rule of :thumbup: in NYU)
And the bridge requirement for the 4th year really blows. Despite of large patient pool, getting a bridge patient was really difficult. The school has $500 implant + crown incentive (in ideal cases only and limited to one per pt) so everytime brought a pt for Bridge case, a faculty will be telling pts about $500 implant, and it's over :mad: .
Well, this is about all I can think of right now.
What more can I say... Good Luck~

You'll need it :rolleyes:

bostonbryan said:
I recommend going somewhere else....unless this is the only place you get in. However, they are remodeling the clinics and adding a much nicer student lounge with a couple plasma tvs.

Probably from the money from the students they accepted took $$150k++ from for the first year or two then kicked out. :eek: (can you imagine) Again.. in a class of 300 or so.. and if your just a number.. I would much rather go to a school that had a better prof/student ratio where you actually get better instruction and get to know your classmates better. (and don't have to mortgage your parents house and take out such huge loans to attend).

I feel really bad for some incoming students who have to read this thread. If you are one just be sure to know that 75% of what you just read is NOT true. It's really not that bad. Yea it costs 300,000, so what most schools (including Columbia) cost 200k to 225k and nobody says anything about it. Is an extra 100k over the next 30 years make a major difference in your life? If you said yes, seek help.
About being just a number. Isn't that what you were in undergrad? You should be used to it by now. Also faculty are really nice to you when you come to them for help or with a question, even though you are just a number. These things have a way of working.
As far as being very easy to be in top 5% :laugh: That's one of the stupidest thing I've ever heard. We have our own nerds and trust me they won't let you be in the top 20% that easy. I really wish that people who didn't go to the school, and just heard what someone heard from someone's mother would know better not to post nonesense
Lastly that they drop their students. My 1st year of the 20 students who dropped out mostly left sometime during the year on their own, they either transfered, got sick or some home problem, or the majority decided that D-school isn't for them and left on their own. I think the people who actually flunk 4 classes and get dropped are in a minority (maybe 5/year from a respectful class)

Members don't see this ad :)
speter33 said:
Is an extra 100k over the next 30 years make a major difference in your life? If you said yes, seek help.

I said yes....any advice where I can seek help?

Dr.BadVibes said:
I said yes....any advice where I can seek help?

Dr. BadVibes.

PM for help, man. I'll counsel you, my friend. LOL. J/K

speter33 said:
Is an extra 100k over the next 30 years make a major difference in your life? If you said yes, seek help.
100K over 30yrs plus interests? SEEK HELP? from whom, mom and pop, sugar mama?!
It doesn't matter how you look at it, 300 students class size and $300K tuition are a big disadvantage, imo.

How big of a disadvantage that is, is really up to you. You can whine and bitch or look at the positives. Most dental school lump dental students with med students so class size is 200-300 anyway. At least in NYU eveyone is a dental student. As far as labs go, the groups are divided, so it's not 300 people in a lab at one time. Also there's a row instructor (a dentist) for every row of 8-10 students. I really don't see a disadvantage, but to each his own.

I don't know why the people on this board are outraged at the 100k extra to live in NYC. I only see it as a minor inconvenience. Interest rates are really low for private loans, last year we got 3%, cause we get prime -1%.
Do you people realize how much a practice costs, how about a house? 10 years down the line it'll really be a drop in the bucket. By the time you get to paying off that last 100k of your student loans you should be very wealthy and have fond memories of your 4 years in NYC. I'm sure not all will agree with it, but it's just my $0.02
My advice is if you find something cheaper you should probably go there. But it seems to me like a lot of people here like to make a mountain out of a molehill

On another note Oral-B showed up last week and gave everyone (250 ppl) who showed up a free electric tooth brush: Professional 8000 ($100 retail). So it’s really 300k - $100

Thanks Speter33 for sharing your story. Some probably understand your points but unfortunately others won't.

I have a blast reading those NYU bashings since I am going to NYUCD this fall. Yeah, that's right. I am a tough cookie so I am not scared of NYU. Bring it on! Slap me with additional $100k financial debt!! :scared:

I don't know what's up with NYUCD. Such a hot topic!! Not only do NYUCD students bash on NYUCD but other dental students join in on bashing. Wow. NYUCD somehow became the dental school of schadenfreude.

Disgruntle students at NYUCD also have valid points and raises concerns for incoming students. I hope that NYUCD listen to students' concerns and improve their educations.

Regardless, I am looking forward to attending NYUCD this fall.

ToothCandy4U said:
Not only do NYUCD students bash on NYUCD but other dental students join in on bashing. Wow. NYUCD somehow became the dental school of schadenfreude.

Disgruntle students at NYUCD also have valid points and raises concerns for incoming students. I hope that NYUCD listen to students' concerns and improve their educations.

Regardless, I am looking forward to attending NYUCD this fall.
I think that you misunderstood other students' opinions/intentions. Just because they're talking about the disadvantage of a huge class size and expensive tuition, they're not necessarily "bashing" NYU. After all, they are speaking from personal experiences. The same thing about my school, it also has pros and cons...

I don't think that anyone is obtaining enjoyment from the problems at NYU. The OP asked for the pros and cons at NYU and that what he/she is hearing.
speter33 said:
How big of a disadvantage that is, is really up to you. You can whine and bitch or look at the positives.
Wow, interesting point of view!

speter33 said:
Most dental school lump dental students with med students so class size is 200-300 anyway.
Do some research. You're wrong about that.

speter33 said:
I don't know why the people on this board are outraged at the 100k extra to live in NYC. I only see it as a minor inconvenience. Interest rates are really low for private loans, last year we got 3%, cause we get prime -1%.
Do you people realize how much a practice costs, how about a house? 10 years down the line it'll really be a drop in the bucket. By the time you get to paying off that last 100k of your student loans you should be very wealthy and have fond memories of your 4 years in NYC. I'm sure not all will agree with it, but it's just my $0.02
That's a good spin!

If one does not have a problem with a huge class size and thinks that $100K plus interests is a minor inconvenience :eek: then more power to ya.

lnn2 said:
I think that you misunderstood other students' opinions/intentions. Just because they're talking about the disadvantage of a huge class size and expensive tuition, they're not necessarily "bashing" NYU. After all, they are speaking from personal experiences. The same thing about my school, it also has pros and cons...

Perhaps you haven't read carefully what people have been saying about NYUCD on this thread.

shariq said:
As a graduating senior from nypoo i can tell you that the school sucks

Ha.... Interesting. If this is not bashing, what is it?
Objective opinion and intention? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

One last thing. I think 3rd and 4th years are more pissed at the school than the 1st and 2nd years are right now. Because many of the issues that the prior years had have been fixed in recent years and continue to get fixed. The school is willing to work with student body. They were ginnipigs for a new system that was put into place 4 years ago. Many of those problems have been worked out by now.

ToothCandy4U said:
Perhaps you haven't read carefully what people have been saying about NYUCD on this thread.

Ha.... Interesting. If this is not bashing, what is it?
Objective opinion and intention? Give me a break. :rolleyes:
I'm sorry! I read those threads again and I have come to a final conclusion: Ummh... NYUCD SUCKS....ummh 'kay?! :D Please keep us posted once you've started skool! :)

The best school is the school that you're attending. Good luck kiddo!

2002 NYU grad here. I owed 200+, but had great clinical experience. I passed CAl and NV board in 2002. Most of my classmates (90-95%) passed CAl board in their first try. Made $245,000 in 2004 as an associate. Just put up with the minor bull**** at NYUcD and you'll do fine in real world dentistry. YOu can complain and list all the pros and cons you want, sure it's expensive....but hell...it was worth it for me. Enough said.

diversity matters a lot to me, both the student body and the pt pool, so unless u want to pratice in idaho or montana, NYU rocks! :D

pn229 said:
2002 NYU grad here.... Made $245,000 in 2004 as an associate...Enough said.
Are we talking dollars here?! Yeah, I believe you! 245,000 in pesos is more like it. Enough said.

lnn2 said:
Are we talking dollars here?! Yeah, I believe you! 245,000 in pesos is more like it. Enough said.

Working in Las Vegas, a good daily rate now is $700-800 or you can get percentage of daily production or collection. When I interviewed, I was able to demonstrate my clinical skills and bargained for $850/day. Often I make $900-1000 depending on insurance and flow. I practice with quality and integrity. You don't believe me...that's fine. You don't have to believe in what I say. But those who do, you'll apreciate the training you will recieve from NYUCD.

pn229 said:
Working in Las Vegas, a good daily rate now is $700-800 or you can get percentage of daily production or collection. When I interviewed, I was able to demonstrate my clinical skills and bargained for $850/day. Often I make $900-1000 depending on insurance and flow. I practice with quality and integrity. You don't believe me...that's fine. You don't have to believe in what I say. But those who do, you'll apreciate the training you will recieve from NYUCD.

I totally buy it. In 2003 associate could make 1500$ without a question asked. Las vegas used to be the heaven of dentists.
After this year, it might get a little more complex due to the graduation of UNLV dentists.
It'll be fun to watch.

lnn2 said:
I'm sorry! I read those threads again and I have come to a final conclusion: Ummh... NYUCD SUCKS....ummh 'kay?! :D Please keep us posted once you've started skool! :)

The best school is the school that you're attending. Good luck kiddo!

A common man.
Yawn... :sleep:

Hey pn 229
my wife graduated from class of 2002 NYUCD.

If you get accepted to anywhere else besides NYUCD…I would recommend going to anywhere else. Just keep in mind, dental school is so brutal, most students have some kind of complaint about their school no matter where they go(probably less than NYUCD students though). So congrats to you, study hard and get your DDS/DMD, you can ignore the rest of what I have to say.

If you don’t have much of a choice and have decided to go to NYU (DentalHopeful) my only cheesy advice is Life is what you make of it, so MAKE THE MOST OF IT…Here’s my view as a D3 NYU student. Sorry it’s so long-winded

COST: I’ve heard that one lecture hour is equivalent to $100…so yeah it’s EXPENSIVE. You’re gonna have to work that many more YEARS than your pal who went to UCLA to be out of debt. You both end up with DDS degrees though and laymen don’t know the difference. As a matter of fact they’ll be impressed by the world famous NYU name (little they know…). Just look at it as an investment with profitable returns in the future.
LIVING IN NYC: It costs an arm and a leg to live here, people are rude, life is fast paced, 9 months of crappy weather, and you’re in a concrete jungle. But…you live in the center of universe…world class museums and restaurants, famous people(you really do see them), partying partying partying, shopping galore, diverse people from all over…It’s a life experience many will be jealous of. And yeah you are too busy the first couple years to enjoy it much but you still do.
HUGE DROP-OUT RATE: I guess NYUCD’ers may disagree on why our classmates get dropped along the way…but my feelings are that unlike other schools we can afford to lose some $tudent$ =( . So if you are failing lots of classes administrators will not make the extra effort to make sure you study correctly etc. These stupid bureaucratic *****s seem to make stupid mistakes with our curriculum too. Also, unlike some schools we have suboptimal academic counseling and minimal tutoring (e.g. 2 tutors for 300 students…lame). So yeah it sucks that friends you meet one year will be gone the next. But it’s a rat race and time management is key. Keep the partying partying partying down to just partying. Remember why you are here: dentistry. If you survive the first two years you are home free.
HUGE CLASS SIZE: You do indeed feel like just a number. But you have the opportunity to meet as many (or as little) people as you want. The diversity here is one of the few pluses this school has to offer. Not every one is an “All other Dental School-Reject”. Some people here are so smart and talented you wonder why they chose to come here, while other people are so scary you feel sorry for their future patients; most of us are in between these extremes. People from all walks of life (asian, Hispanic, white, old, young, rich, poor, mothers, fathers, even grandparents) attend NYU. You’ll make life-long friendships with these people when you suffer through four years of hell/NYU with them. Plus…
ADVANCED PLACEMENT STUDENTS: Your second year another batch of 100 dental students trained in other countries join you, bringing your class size to 300+. You feel threatened since some of them have practiced in their country for years, curves on test become almost non-existent, and some of them act so rudely. Technically you DO NOT compete with them since they have their own class ranks, though some of them may kick your ass in some tests, and your GPA drops. But you find so many of them go out of their way to help you, they are almost like extra (unpaid) faculty members. They definitely add uniqueness to our student body that’s unlike any other.
EDUCATION: I’ve never been to any other dental school so I have nothing to compare it to, but my AP classmates pretty much agree that their prior training is a lot better than their training now. There’s no denying it, there definitely is not enough faculty members which makes it that much harder to learn in pre-clinic and clinic. The current curriculum is full of stupid unnecessary classes too. But opportunities to excel and learn more in PG clinics, research, and outreach exists aplenty…just gotta make the most of it!

So Dental Hopeful and all of you NYUCD’ers class of 2009, don’t come here feeling sorry for yourself already. You need a positive start to help nudge you towards graduation four years down the line, otherwise you too might become the fated 10-15% that get kicked out. Forget that you had a 2.9 GPA, DAT score of 17, and that you only got into one dental school that has a notorious reputation for being bad. You get a fresh start, that’s all you can ask for, and it’s time to redeem yourself. Good luck!

For those of you who think it will be peachy other places, you are in for a surprise. My experience working at the "three year school" demonstrated the politics of professional-private schools. One of my friends was passed up for a residency over another colleague. She had better grades, scores, and clinical abilities, but the other person was a better brown-noser.

Thus, I gave up my guaranteed admission and chose to go elsewhere, although politics and beaurocacy are at every school. (Maybe not at Creighton, but there is not much else their either..j/k) Someone on this forum said, “life is what you make it.” If I listened to what others said in my life, I would have never made it this far.

Good luck to you all and listen to these post, but realize many of these people would complain anywhere.

tuuthdr said:
If you get accepted to anywhere else besides NYUCD…I would recommend going to anywhere else. Just keep in mind, dental school is so brutal, most students have some kind of complaint about their school no matter where they go(probably less than NYUCD students though). So congrats to you, study hard and get your DDS/DMD, you can ignore the rest of what I have to say.

If you don’t have much of a choice and have decided to go to NYU (DentalHopeful) my only cheesy advice is Life is what you make of it, so MAKE THE MOST OF IT…Here’s my view as a D3 NYU student. Sorry it’s so long-winded

COST: I’ve heard that one lecture hour is equivalent to $100…so yeah it’s EXPENSIVE. You’re gonna have to work that many more YEARS than your pal who went to UCLA to be out of debt. You both end up with DDS degrees though and laymen don’t know the difference. As a matter of fact they’ll be impressed by the world famous NYU name (little they know…). Just look at it as an investment with profitable returns in the future.
LIVING IN NYC: It costs an arm and a leg to live here, people are rude, life is fast paced, 9 months of crappy weather, and you’re in a concrete jungle. But…you live in the center of universe…world class museums and restaurants, famous people(you really do see them), partying partying partying, shopping galore, diverse people from all over…It’s a life experience many will be jealous of. And yeah you are too busy the first couple years to enjoy it much but you still do.
HUGE DROP-OUT RATE: I guess NYUCD’ers may disagree on why our classmates get dropped along the way…but my feelings are that unlike other schools we can afford to lose some $tudent$ =( . So if you are failing lots of classes administrators will not make the extra effort to make sure you study correctly etc. These stupid bureaucratic *****s seem to make stupid mistakes with our curriculum too. Also, unlike some schools we have suboptimal academic counseling and minimal tutoring (e.g. 2 tutors for 300 students…lame). So yeah it sucks that friends you meet one year will be gone the next. But it’s a rat race and time management is key. Keep the partying partying partying down to just partying. Remember why you are here: dentistry. If you survive the first two years you are home free.
HUGE CLASS SIZE: You do indeed feel like just a number. But you have the opportunity to meet as many (or as little) people as you want. The diversity here is one of the few pluses this school has to offer. Not every one is an “All other Dental School-Reject”. Some people here are so smart and talented you wonder why they chose to come here, while other people are so scary you feel sorry for their future patients; most of us are in between these extremes. People from all walks of life (asian, Hispanic, white, old, young, rich, poor, mothers, fathers, even grandparents) attend NYU. You’ll make life-long friendships with these people when you suffer through four years of hell/NYU with them. Plus…
ADVANCED PLACEMENT STUDENTS: Your second year another batch of 100 dental students trained in other countries join you, bringing your class size to 300+. You feel threatened since some of them have practiced in their country for years, curves on test become almost non-existent, and some of them act so rudely. Technically you DO NOT compete with them since they have their own class ranks, though some of them may kick your ass in some tests, and your GPA drops. But you find so many of them go out of their way to help you, they are almost like extra (unpaid) faculty members. They definitely add uniqueness to our student body that’s unlike any other.
EDUCATION: I’ve never been to any other dental school so I have nothing to compare it to, but my AP classmates pretty much agree that their prior training is a lot better than their training now. There’s no denying it, there definitely is not enough faculty members which makes it that much harder to learn in pre-clinic and clinic. The current curriculum is full of stupid unnecessary classes too. But opportunities to excel and learn more in PG clinics, research, and outreach exists aplenty…just gotta make the most of it!

So Dental Hopeful and all of you NYUCD’ers class of 2009, don’t come here feeling sorry for yourself already. You need a positive start to help nudge you towards graduation four years down the line, otherwise you too might become the fated 10-15% that get kicked out. Forget that you had a 2.9 GPA, DAT score of 17, and that you only got into one dental school that has a notorious reputation for being bad. You get a fresh start, that’s all you can ask for, and it’s time to redeem yourself. Good luck!

tuuthdr said:
You need a positive start to help nudge you towards graduation four years down the line, otherwise you too might become the fated 10-15% that get kicked out. Forget that you had a 2.9 GPA, DAT score of 17, and that you only got into one dental school that has a notorious reputation for being bad. You get a fresh start, that’s all you can ask for, and it’s time to redeem yourself. Good luck!

This is well said. Thanks for the encouragement to everyone who's going to NYU.

Some of you current NYUers, can you give us incoming students a description of what your daily schedule looked like during the 1st year? What time did classes and labs start/end? How long were your days? Was the schedule same for all students or did it vary (I'm thinking it would since its such a large class)?

What is the school calendar like? I know some programs run thru the summer and you have mandatory summer classes. Is that the case at NYU? What are the different breaks in school, and how long are they?

Also, does NYU have a nice gym/recreation center? Is it close to the dental school or is it at the main campus (which I heard is a little farther away)? Actually, how far away is the main campus from the dental building? Do most dental students (or at least the ones that care about working out) work out at the school recreation center or do they have memberships to private gyms/clubs?

Sorry, for the barrage of questions, but I will be attending NYU in August, and I'm trying to understand as much as I can before school gets started so that the transition is somewhat easier.

Thanks!

DDS2BE said:
This of this… you wanna be top 5% in class to specialize, but there is a bunch of international students (already experienced dentists from another countries) sitting in your same class and going over the same material all over again. Guess what you chances are going to be like to rank high?!

That might be true, but I thought those extra 100 students are graded seperate from your class. As in, they are a class of their own? If i'm wrong will someone please correct me? Thanks

drcharleshuang said:
That might be true, but I thought those extra 100 students are graded seperate from your class. As in, they are a class of their own? If i'm wrong will someone please correct me? Thanks

Hey drcharleshuang, I believe you are going to attend NYUCD this fall as well..right? Just have a question for you. Where from and age? Also, I do think that the international students are graded separately. If you think about it, that's like placing a 10th grader in a 6th grade class and expecting the 6th graders to perform at the 10th graders level. I don't think that the school would allow that...but on the other hand, you never know. I will see you in the fall.

This is complete hearsay, but one of my buddie's in my class who has a buddy that goes to NYU told me that 35 people of the Class of 2008 are on the brink of being kicked out.

Although this guy talks with his NYU buddy on a regular basis, so I personally believe him, this is still total hearsay, so lets have a current NYU student confirm this.

Dr.BadVibes said:
This is complete hearsay, but one of my buddie's in my class who has a buddy that goes to NYU told me that 35 people of the Class of 2008 are on the brink of being kicked out.

Although this guy talks with his NYU buddy on a regular basis, so I personally believe him, this is still total hearsay, so lets have a current NYU student confirm this.

This too is complete hearsay, but one of my buddies' buddies in my classes' class that goes to Temple told me that 55 people in the class of 2008 are on the brink of being kicked out. Is this true? He/she also told me that one legged dogs roam around the campus at night searching for their next victim.

Come on, "a friend of mine, hearsay"...... :thumbdown:

drcharleshuang said:

I am a second year at NYUCD. I am not really sure how the AP students are graded, but I do know that there is no curve in the class because they make the averages really high. I am pretty sure they have their own ranks though.
It really doesn't matter that they are there because regardless of whether or not they throw the curve off, most of the class still passes (we get an average of about 10-15 failures per class....which for a class of 360 students, is not much at all). First year, we had about 15 failures per class and that was with a huge curve.
Most of the AP students are very kind and help you out. As someone put it, it's like having unpaid faculty! They're your classmates, they already are dentists, they know exactly what you're going through and they help you out. It's almost like having a faculty member sitting next to you in the lab.

nothen2do said:
This too is complete hearsay, but one of my buddies' buddies in my classes' class that goes to Temple told me that 55 people in the class of 2008 are on the brink of being kicked out. Is this true? He/she also told me that one legged dogs roam around the campus at night searching for their next victim.

Come on, "a friend of mine, hearsay"...... :thumbdown:

hey dick, i said it was hearsay.....i just wanted someone from NYU to confirm it....

JMJRDH1 said:
PROS
Plenty of patients
NYC

Just to fix up some misconceptions here. The fact that the school is in NYC does not mean you'll be having lots of clinical experience. The school brags about its 250,000 pts/yr figures but you have to take into account its large number of students,residents,fellows, and faculty dentists. Proportionally on an individual scale, the clinical volume here is no better or worse than the typical cornfield dental school.

By the way, don't just listen to those who say that the 2nd yr is the worst at NYU. There is a respectable number ( though not as large as the former ) who feel the 3rd yr is the hardest. The clinics you'll be entering are not organized. It's difficult to get patient appointments;yet I don't know why they give us so much time to waste in general clinic and I don't see how they could now instill production requirements. There is almost always something new to learn about what forms to fill out. But you're afraid to ask about it because the staff members are so busy or easily get annoyed. And some students inconspicuously steal patients from others. There is also a tribal mentality in this school as many students in the clinic tend to stick up for those of similar ethnicity, thanks to the overemphasis on promotion of diversity.

Believe it or not, the 1st/2nd yr courses here really aren't that hard and I feel everyone here are capable ( though they're not really intellectual and hard working ) of passing everything without a single F. The dreaded gross anatomy, organ systems, pathology, and pharm courses here are shortened versions of what you see in many schools and their exam questions are fairly straightforward. The exam questions for lab courses are variations of old test material. Trust me; you can make a difference in how successful you are for your 1st and 2nd yrs. Sit down and really try to know the stuff.

Moral of this: You're screwed if you don't get to become friends with upperclassmen and have poor social skills, both of which you cannot change easily at will. So if you plan on coming here ( but don't if you get accepted somewhere else ), please make an effort in making ( more ) friends if you already don't know how; otherwise you will suck at 3rd and 4th yrs ( or maybe get weeded out for not meeting req.) and end up with poor recs from dentists in the clinics. I’m not going to go into it but girls generally have an easier time and have so much for benefits and support of faculty and staff-so much for the school’s focus on “professionalism” (most powerful oxymoron I’ve ever encountered )

I just had to bring this up because I am surprised that people keep moaning about the 1st/2nd yrs but skip the 3rd yr entirely.

I might go to NYUCD, or wait another year and apply again... my plan is to retake the DAT at the end of july, if i do considerably better, I'll wait another year, but most likely i will attend NYU this august. I'm excited because I've never lived in NY before, although I'm kinda daunted that so many people have negative things to say about this school. Perhaps it is the NY personalities that make these posts seem so blunt and brutal, but that is only a speculation. I am from Southern California (Los Angeles), and i'm 23. About failing students, i guess with a program so large, there's bound to be students who drop out whether it be due to incompetence, or lack of interest in the profession. I just wish that when i get there, i find a good intelligent study buddy or two or three. I come from a BS in pharmacology which was brutal but I find that if everyone experiences the same stresses, it's not so bad. Plus, friendships are stronger because there is bound to be dramatic outbursts of emotions when under that much stress.

For anyone that goes to NYUCD, I was wondering about lab and how the instruction is carried through. I mean, how do they teach you the waxing up skills etc? Do you just learn to figure them out on your own, or is there someone that instructs you in a small group? Oh and... ARE ALL THE EXAMS MULTIPLE CHOICE???? I am not very fond of multiple choice quesitons because I feel as though it limits the amount of information I can express, and really tests what I don't know versus what I do know. I know with such a large class size the tests are all likely to be multiple choice. But i just hope maybe, that can change. Also, are there quizzes everyweek? Or, how is the exam/test/quiz schedule like? Are you always studying for a quiz? And how hard are the quizzes usually? Are there discussion sections? or just lectures?

Some more quesitons.... Would you recommend living in the 26th street dorms for the first year? If you could do it again, what would you do differently to easy the transition period? Any other tips before getting into Dschool? Thanks A LOT.

Couple of good points by accu94672. I agree w/ him that 3rd year is definitely harder than 2nd year. Since Spring break, we have at least 1 exam per week until the beginning of July. It's non-stop.

However, I have to disagree w/ accu's claim about the patient pool. Are you kidding me? I have patients up the arse. I can't envision any other dental school in the nation that would have the dental student with an ACTIVE roster of over 15. If I see a patient today, I won't see that patient for another 3 weeks...yes, I am booked for the next 3 weeks.

accu94672 said:
Just to fix up some misconceptions here. The fact that the school is in NYC does not mean you'll be having lots of clinical experience. The school brags about its 250,000 pts/yr figures but you have to take into account its large number of students,residents,fellows, and faculty dentists. Proportionally on an individual scale, the clinical volume here is no better or worse than the typical cornfield dental school.

By the way, don't just listen to those who say that the 2nd yr is the worst at NYU. There is a respectable number ( though not as large as the former ) who feel the 3rd yr is the hardest. The clinics you'll be entering are not organized. It's difficult to get patient appointments;yet I don't know why they give us so much time to waste in general clinic and I don't see how they could now instill production requirements. There is almost always something new to learn about what forms to fill out. But you're afraid to ask about it because the staff members are so busy or easily get annoyed. And some students inconspicuously steal patients from others. There is also a tribal mentality in this school as many students in the clinic tend to stick up for those of similar ethnicity, thanks to the overemphasis on promotion of diversity.

Believe it or not, the 1st/2nd yr courses here really aren't that hard and I feel everyone here are capable ( though they're not really intellectual and hard working ) of passing everything without a single F. The dreaded gross anatomy, organ systems, pathology, and pharm courses here are shortened versions of what you see in many schools and their exam questions are fairly straightforward. The exam questions for lab courses are variations of old test material. Trust me; you can make a difference in how successful you are for your 1st and 2nd yrs. Sit down and really try to know the stuff.

Moral of this: You're screwed if you don't get to become friends with upperclassmen and have poor social skills, both of which you cannot change easily at will. So if you plan on coming here ( but don't if you get accepted somewhere else ), please make an effort in making ( more ) friends if you already don't know how; otherwise you will suck at 3rd and 4th yrs ( or maybe get weeded out for not meeting req.) and end up with poor recs from dentists in the clinics. I’m not going to go into it but girls generally have an easier time and have so much for benefits and support of faculty and staff-so much for the school’s focus on “professionalism” (most powerful oxymoron I’ve ever encountered )

I just had to bring this up because I am surprised that people keep moaning about the 1st/2nd yrs but skip the 3rd yr entirely.

Very interesting. Thanks guys, accu94672 and Pi_Guy1, for giving the REAL review on NYUCD. I was getting fed up with "my friend's friend's" hearsay.
Although accu94672's review is rather negative, I appreciate your input.
Something to look forward to. ;)

Pi__Guy1 said:
However, I have to disagree w/ accu's claim about the patient pool. Are you kidding me? I have patients up the arse. I can't envision any other dental school in the nation that would have the dental student with an ACTIVE roster of over 15.

I'm not kidding. It is really hard to get a patient to come in, let alone for your competency req. The school gives us way too much time in general clinic, some of which could be used for other meaningful classes. I'd wish they could drop or lower the production requirement and reduce some of the general clinic time that many don't need. How do you reach such a production if there's no one to treat?

In other schools, the admin automatically assigns patients to students on a queue basis and that is a distinct advantage that most dental schools have over NYU. ( based on your post, you seem to enjoy the difficulty of pressuring patients to come without help from the school; personal thing I guess )

That is not to say that NYU is a bad school. I can't think of any good stuff it has but I'm sure that there must be some schools that perform below in certain aspects. Also, the area isn't as safe ( crime and traffic fatality-wise) as some people here say..........I've seen bad stuff happen that is vividly imprinted in my mind...

ToothCandy4U said:
Very interesting. Thanks guys, accu94672 and Pi_Guy1, for giving the REAL review on NYUCD. I was getting fed up with "my friend's friend's" hearsay.
Although accu94672's review is rather negative, I appreciate your input.
Something to look forward to. ;)

I'm not being negative; I'm strongly objective. Unlike many others who post here, notice that I'm not putting any criticism on years 1 and 2 because I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

accu94672 said:
I'm not being negative; I'm strongly objective. Unlike many others who post here, notice that I'm not putting any criticism on years 1 and 2 because I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

To me your comment was negative. The impression is relative to whoever is reading. You won't be a good judge on yourself.

Also, I for one live in NYC for 15 years and I haven't encountered danger. Even during the 9/11 or blackout, New Yorkers handled the tough situation very well. For the big city, NYC is much safer than some other big cities in the U.S.
I guess you had bad luck or you are not cut out for the big city.
After reading your comment on NYC, I question your objectivity.

Pi__Guy1 said:
I can't envision any other dental school in the nation that would have the dental student with an ACTIVE roster of over 15. If I see a patient today, I won't see that patient for another 3 weeks...yes, I am booked for the next 3 weeks.

I can think of another school......Temple

ToothCandy4U said:
To me your comment was negative. The impression is relative to whoever is reading. You won't be a good judge on yourself.

Also, I for one live in NYC for 15 years and I haven't encountered danger. Even during the 9/11 or blackout, New Yorkers handled the tough situation very well. For the big city, NYC is much safer than some other big cities in the U.S.
I guess you had bad luck or you are not cut out for the big city.
After reading your comment on NYC, I question your objectivity.

You only question his objectivity because he is saying stuff that you dont want to hear....simple as that. Why dont you just keep an open mind on things and consider that the things he is saying could possibly be very true.