NYU Steinhardt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

algus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I got an acceptance from NYU Steinhardt's Occupational Therapy school and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

Thanks for that. I'm trying to find out how much tuition and housing is but I'm not sure where to look for that. I'm a Canadian student so I really need to research the money and everything before I go there. I can't seem to find anything on the site :(. I have no idea how much I need to be prepared to spend.

Any help?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I just got accepted to NYU OT program also! Its actually the only school I applied to because this is the ONLY school I ever wanted to go to..
I had a terrible undergrad experienced so I vowed that I will only go to a school that I absolutely LOVE!
Yes, it's a very expensive school- but I think we only live once, and $$ always comes and goes.. seriously..

I calculated my budget with friends that deal with money and with friends that live out there. They helped me figure out a comfortable range of money you should have- I believe $65k per year- is the amount to cover tuition, living expenses, personal, transportation, etc. It really depends on how you decide to live- frugal or really comfortable.

I do plan on living with strangers (craiglisting places) because I actually want to keep my living cost as low as possible- they say BROOKLYN is the best place to look and if you REALLY don't care.. chinatown..

I'm excited to have this once in a life time experience and actually look forward to meeting everyone pursing this OT career!!!

Hi! I just got accepted to NYU OT program also! Its actually the only school I applied to because this is the ONLY school I ever wanted to go to..
I had a terrible undergrad experienced so I vowed that I will only go to a school that I absolutely LOVE!
Yes, it's a very expensive school- but I think we only live once, and $$ always comes and goes.. seriously..

I calculated my budget with friends that deal with money and with friends that live out there. They helped me figure out a comfortable range of money you should have- I believe $65k per year- is the amount to cover tuition, living expenses, personal, transportation, etc. It really depends on how you decide to live- frugal or really comfortable.

I do plan on living with strangers (craiglisting places) because I actually want to keep my living cost as low as possible- they say BROOKLYN is the best place to look and if you REALLY don't care.. chinatown..

I'm excited to have this once in a life time experience and actually look forward to meeting everyone pursing this OT career!!!

Congrats!!! About the living situation, please be careful with craigslist (unless that was a joke ;p lol). Ask your friends that live here about the cost of living on the other side of the Hudson, maybe the know the area (where I live) and I will only have to take the path train which will leave me on 9th street and Broadway so I only walk 4-5 blocks to campus. Also ask your friends to look through the paper's classifieds for roommate searches.

Congrats!!! About the living situation, please be careful with craigslist (unless that was a joke ;p lol). Ask your friends that live here about the cost of living on the other side of the Hudson, maybe the know the area (where I live) and I will only have to take the path train which will leave me on 9th street and Broadway so I only walk 4-5 blocks to campus. Also ask your friends to look through the paper's classifieds for roommate searches.

Ya- I have been warned :( .. I do plan on going early aug and making appointments to see the place and meet the people. I really hope everything works out. I'm new to New York so its going to be a HUGE change for me. Thanks for your advice :D !!

Hey guys

I got an acceptance from NYU Steinhardt's Occupational Therapy school and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the school.

It's a great school from what I've heard. Ranked #9 in the US.

Hello!

I recently was accepted into the NYU OT program too! :) I'm extremely excited! Was anyone able to attend the New Registration thing they had on the 27th?

Hello!

I recently was accepted into the NYU OT program too! :) I'm extremely excited! Was anyone able to attend the New Registration thing they had on the 27th?

Congrats NYUGirl06! I hope to see you come September. I attended the tour and early registration event. It was more social than registration-y/administration-y, but it was great!!! We were able to meet current 2nd years and their experience from this program was so helpful. We also met most of our professors.

At the event we also received a list of what classes we will be taking and oh boy they're a lot! But, just what is to be expected from a top program. I'm sure it will be challenging but so worth it.

I just got accepted to NYU (my first choice!!! :D) and I was freaking out about the move so I am glad I have found this forum and see other people are in the same boat! I'm going to be moving from Florida beginning of August (I know it's early but I want to take time to settle in and see the surrounding places and all). I'm looking to work part time over weekends, does anyone know people that have been able to manage work and the program? Also, if anyone is from the NYC area can you give some heads up for good places to live?? I have been told that some of the bordering Jersey places would be good to save on living expenses but don't exactly know how that will be in terms of commuting to classes everyday..And if anyone else is still looking, Craigslist has a lot of nice highrise condos which the owners are giving out for rent for good prices, but I don't know how I feel about using Craigslist for this purpose. GOOOD LUCKKK to everyone attending, see you all in September!!

I'm declining NYU but some places to consider are Long Island City, Lower/Upper East side, Chinatown if you don't mind..Weehawken NJ is about 30-40 mins away..

OtGal,

Why are you declining? I'm still in the process of figuring out where to go..(between NYU and a smaller, cheaper school in Ca that with not as good of a program). And need to decide ASAP!

Members don't see this ad :)
otgal, thank you so much I will look into those places. Good luck to you where ever you are attending :)

OtGal,

Why are you declining? I'm still in the process of figuring out where to go..(between NYU and a smaller, cheaper school in Ca that with not as good of a program). And need to decide ASAP!

You sound like me. I was also trying to decide between schools in Ca or other out of state schools. California only has 2 public schools and the rest are private, so those two are ultra competitive, I have to have a back-up out of state school.

KatieC, I'm declining due to NYU's high expenses. I don't think it's worth going into that much debt since I've been admitted to another equally nice school. But I think your situation is a little different since you said the other school doesn't have that good of a program. It is really up to you and I guess it matters what you think, but I want to point out my 2 cents if it is of any help to you. Tell you the truth (and I've been told by many OTs), it's not really going to matter what program you choose, you will find a job due to the demand of OT. It's a matter of deciding which program will prepare you more for the board exam because in the end that's going to get you the job. We are all going to get paid about the same whether a person goes to a "not-so-well-known" school or NYU. I would tell you to save yourself the debt and go to the Ca school and just work a little harder in studying for the boards after graduating. I say this because not only is tuition expensive but living is also expensive, so is transportation, and food and pretty much everything in NYC. But in the end, just do what makes you happy, if it is going to make you feel more comfortable going to a well known school then go that way. But I can asure you that life will be much easier and worthwhile if you keep yourself out of much debt as possible. I hope this helps - sorry for the essay, good luck to you :)

I just got accepted to NYU (my first choice!!! :D) and I was freaking out about the move so I am glad I have found this forum and see other people are in the same boat! I'm going to be moving from Florida beginning of August (I know it's early but I want to take time to settle in and see the surrounding places and all). I'm looking to work part time over weekends, does anyone know people that have been able to manage work and the program? Also, if anyone is from the NYC area can you give some heads up for good places to live?? I have been told that some of the bordering Jersey places would be good to save on living expenses but don't exactly know how that will be in terms of commuting to classes everyday..And if anyone else is still looking, Craigslist has a lot of nice highrise condos which the owners are giving out for rent for good prices, but I don't know how I feel about using Craigslist for this purpose. GOOOD LUCKKK to everyone attending, see you all in September!!

Congrats!! See you in september! As for the living situation I live in jersey city and it takes me about 40 minutes to get to campus. I know more of the Hudson County area (Weehawken, West New York, North Bergen, Union City, Guttenberg, Jersey City Heights, Jersey City Jsq, & Bayonne) than NYC. Have you also looked at brooklyn?

check out NJ.com and go to the classifieds, I noticed they put the local newspaper's for rent ads there too.

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any questions regarding Hudson County in NJ :) I'll be more than glad to help.

I can relate to those that are stressing over NYU because of all the prospective debt. Currently I'm in the same boat myself but haven't declined since I'm still in the process of making my decision. It really is very difficult since it would be great to attend, but I'm hearing more and more about how it doesn't matter which college you attend, whether in terms of job salary or offers.

Good luck to all who are considering Steinhardt as well. For those of you struggling with the hefty price tag, I can definitely relate to what you're going through and I wish you all the best of luck.

Almostthere,

What schools are you deciding between? Are you already in NY?

Congrats!! See you in september! As for the living situation I live in jersey city and it takes me about 40 minutes to get to campus. I know more of the Hudson County area (Weehawken, West New York, North Bergen, Union City, Guttenberg, Jersey City Heights, Jersey City Jsq, & Bayonne) than NYC. Have you also looked at brooklyn?

check out NJ.com and go to the classifieds, I noticed they put the local newspaper's for rent ads there too.

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any questions regarding Hudson County in NJ :) I'll be more than glad to help.

Thank you Penguinita! My friend's sister was also telling me to look at Jersey City and Jersey City Heights and said the commute is bearable. I'll check out NJ.com. I'll definitely PM you if I decide Hudson County in NJ, right now I'm leaning more towards staying within the city and 15-20 minute commute radius, but thanks alot!

Almostthere,

What schools are you deciding between? Are you already in NY?

Yes, I'm already in NY. I applied to NYU Steinhardt and SUNY Downstate. I was accepted into NYU and rejected from Downstate.

Basically, I would love to stick with NYU and have actually already sent in my deposit, but the mountain of prospective debt is making me hesitant about actually attending. There are pros and cons for attending Steinhardt. I just have to figure out which work best for me.

I am also applying to Downstate and NYU...I am surprised you got into NYU and rejected by Downstate...is Downstate that competitive? I feel like it's all luck because someone I know with a 3.09 and the minimums got into Downstate and someone else I know with a 3.3 and 150 hours of volunteer work and experience did not get in.

Honestly, I have no idea what it is. I do believe it might have something to do with the low cost tuition.

SUNY Downstate is not only one of the leading urban medical centers in NY, but has one of the lowest tuitions for an OT program available in NYC.

So I think that as a result, they're extremely competitive because everyone wants to go for the awesome school that won't leave you with a ridiculous pile of debt.

I am currently still waitlisted at NYU I just received a letter telling me if I still wanted to be on the waitlist or taken off. Im trying to figure out what I should do. I already have a deposit in at Sacred Heart University my second choice so I basically have nothing to lose. But the letter also stated that the latest I could know if I get off the waitlist is the middle of August so I don't think I want to wait that long. I have looked everywhere but can't find the start day of classes. For those of you who have been accepted can you tell me when you guys start classes ? That would help me with my decision. Thanks !

I am currently still waitlisted at NYU I just received a letter telling me if I still wanted to be on the waitlist or taken off. Im trying to figure out what I should do. I already have a deposit in at Sacred Heart University my second choice so I basically have nothing to lose. But the letter also stated that the latest I could know if I get off the waitlist is the middle of August so I don't think I want to wait that long. I have looked everywhere but can't find the start day of classes. For those of you who have been accepted can you tell me when you guys start classes ? That would help me with my decision. Thanks !

We start classes September 6, right after labor day. I hope you get in through the wait list!!

Hi! Do you mind posting a sample of what your weekly schedule is like at NYU for OT? I am applying for the fall of 2013 and i have two toddlers at home, so, trying to figure things out. Thanks!!

Hey guys

Hey Algus,

I know I am late to the party, but I was hoping to get some advice for building a strong resume and application for the NYU OT program. Would you be open to sharing your stats? If not I understand. I am currently a senior studying psychology. Aside from GPA, prerequisites, letters of req. and volunteer hours, what else would you recommend I participate in that would increase my chances? Possible research? Working for NYU? ect. I would be very grateful for your or anyone else's advice!

Hi! Do you mind posting a sample of what your weekly schedule is like at NYU for OT? I am applying for the fall of 2013 and i have two toddlers at home, so, trying to figure things out. Thanks!!
Hey I just wanted to talk to someone who went through ot school with kids at home. If you get a chance can you please Reply, thanks!