NYU Vs. ASDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDOH vs NYU

• ASDOH

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • NYU

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

KBE91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am excited to be accepted to these two great programs. I have had a deposit down at ASDOH since Dec 1, but got into NYU this week and have 14 days to make my decision. I am truly torn -- there are many pros to each side, but they are two VERY different schools (and well, they're both pretty expensive).

NYU Pros:
Many opportunities that come with a large university (networking, organizations, etc)
More culture, exposure to many different walks of life
Living in NYC (as opposed to Mesa)
The name --nyu is an internationally known university.
Never a patient shortage
Same time zone (2 hour flight to go home in FL rather than 4 hours & 3 time zones)

cons:
Cost of living
360 students per class (less personal feel)
Tougher curriculum - students seemed very stressed at interview

ASDOH Pros:
Personalized feel -- 76 students per class (my interviewer reached out to me after my acceptance and has been helpful and available to answer any questions I've had since Dec.--no other school has done that in my case). I like the idea of being able to stand out in a small program.
Smaller cost of living
Less stressful curriculum (block schedule where you take 1 class at a time)

ASDOH Cons:
I am from FL and many dentists over here have never even heard of ASDOH
Less established program (began in 2002?)
Not easy to get back home quickly
Mesa (Arizona in general is exciting to me, but Mesa is not)

Any insight between the two would be greatly appreciated. They both seem to provide great clinical experience, but I am having a hard time deciding between the two. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to NYU. The cons for NYU you mentioned are real and outweigh any pros. Imagine all 360 students in a classroom. You're treated like a number. Although we were broken up into groups, its still a huge school. NO patient cares where you went to dental school, or if you're a DDS or DMD. You learn the basics in dental school no matter where you go, and that's good enough to make a living. What you decide to do after in terms of learning is up to you.