NYU vs LLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcharleshuang

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering, if anyone know about Loma Linda University in CA. And, if you had to choose between the two (NYU vw LLU) which would you go to? Is the program at LLU prestigous?

Members don't see this ad.

By far I would choose LLU. Going there you will get the best clinical experience as LLU students consistently get the highest scores in the NDBE 2. If you dont mind the contract you have to sign promising not to drink, smoke, or drugs during the four year's you will be attending the school, by all means go there. LLU also has international mission trips to diff countries every year where you participate in dental volunteer work in underdeveloped nations. 2/3 of the cost of the trip is paid for by the llu alumni association. I would def go there.

drcharleshuang said:
Hi, I was wondering, if anyone know about Loma Linda University in CA. And, if you had to choose between the two (NYU vw LLU) which would you go to? Is the program at LLU prestigous?

You will save more $ if you attend Loma Linda. That's for sure. hey drcharleshuang, if u don't mind, can I pm you sometime regarding Loma Linda?

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:
You will save more $ if you attend Loma Linda. That's for sure. hey drcharleshuang, if u don't mind, can I pm you sometime regarding Loma Linda?

Sure you can PM me Smooth... My brother is a 2nd year there. I didn't get in unfortunately since i'm not 7th day, and i did not attend their sister school (La sierra, walla walla etc, my brother went to their sister school and thus had a better connection, even though his GPA was significantly lower) I find that this campus is highly selective to members of the seventh day community even if the students' stats are not up to par. You have to understand that the 7th day community is not very large and if you've been born into the community, you will know many people of that religious faith, including the dean of admissions. And i'm not talking about being familiar with the dean, but actual friends with the dean. It's a very warm community, but seemingly isolated and VERY strict. The school is very young, maybe 20+ years. About the clinical experience, I'm not so sure that they get that much hands on work in the clinic. I've been there and there really aren't very many people seeking dental work at the clinic since it is in a rural area of Riverside. As for the area, wow, talk about depressing. It's VERY hot, the air is VERY bad, all the smog from LA gets trapped into those areas, and it's just a very depressing area. If you can bear that than I'm sure LLU is for you. Furthermore... about those trips to 3rd world countries, yeah it's an excellent opportunity to help other countires, but anyone can go really. There are many programs that allow you to do this. My brother just came back from one, he loved it, but the only problem was the area that they were at, they really didn't need much dental care. So they ended up on the beach half the time gettin sun... sounds like fun!! About the money, it's a little cheaper than say NYU or USC, but private schools are about the same in tuition plus of minus 8 or 10 thousand dollars. The labs at LLU are not the best. It is in a basement where there're no windows, kinda depressing to stay underground all day. I dnt know just me. But i guess i may have had a different perspective if i got in... although i was never really excited to apply there, just that my brother went there.

drcharleshuang said:
Sure you can PM me Smooth... My brother is a 2nd year there. I didn't get in unfortunately since i'm not 7th day, and i did not attend their sister school (La sierra, walla walla etc, my brother went to their sister school and thus had a better connection, even though his GPA was significantly lower) I find that this campus is highly selective to members of the seventh day community even if the students' stats are not up to par. You have to understand that the 7th day community is not very large and if you've been born into the community, you will know many people of that religious faith, including the dean of admissions. And i'm not talking about being familiar with the dean, but actual friends with the dean. It's a very warm community, but seemingly isolated and VERY strict. The school is very young, maybe 20+ years. About the clinical experience, I'm not so sure that they get that much hands on work in the clinic. I've been there and there really aren't very many people seeking dental work at the clinic since it is in a rural area of Riverside. As for the area, wow, talk about depressing. It's VERY hot, the air is VERY bad, all the smog from LA gets trapped into those areas, and it's just a very depressing area. If you can bear that than I'm sure LLU is for you. Furthermore... about those trips to 3rd world countries, yeah it's an excellent opportunity to help other countires, but anyone can go really. There are many programs that allow you to do this. My brother just came back from one, he loved it, but the only problem was the area that they were at, they really didn't need much dental care. So they ended up on the beach half the time gettin sun... sounds like fun!! About the money, it's a little cheaper than say NYU or USC, but private schools are about the same in tuition plus of minus 8 or 10 thousand dollars. The labs at LLU are not the best. It is in a basement where there're no windows, kinda depressing to stay underground all day. I dnt know just me. But i guess i may have had a different perspective if i got in... although i was never really excited to apply there, just that my brother went there.

first of all you dont have to be 7th day. im not and i got in and i know many people who also are not and got in and my stats are significantly lower than others because they look more at other things than grades.
second of all, you must not know anything about the patient base there because they have a huge one due to the amount of people who will travel to LLU to get dental work. thats the reason why they were ranked #1 in clinical this year.
to tell you the truth and Im being brutally honest, you are pissed off about not getting in because your brother is there and your not. face it you were just not a good enough candidate. because if you have a family member in the school, you should have a better chance than anyone. so go put down another great school that you didnt get into, and step down. laters. no hard feelings but i hate when people criticize schools that they didnt get into.

drcharleshuang said:
Sure you can PM me Smooth... My brother is a 2nd year there. I didn't get in unfortunately since i'm not 7th day, and i did not attend their sister school (La sierra, walla walla etc, my brother went to their sister school and thus had a better connection, even though his GPA was significantly lower) I find that this campus is highly selective to members of the seventh day community even if the students' stats are not up to par. You have ....

Why ask the question when it seems you know a lot about the school?

drcharleshuang said:

Ask the question then bash others for their opinions, you axxhole! :laugh:

ecrdoubles15 said:
second of all, you must not know anything about the patient base there because they have a huge one due to the amount of people who will travel to LLU to get dental work. thats the reason why they were ranked #1 in clinical this year.

#1 in clinical what? The prestigous catergory of "clinical stuff," me thinks.

drcharleshuang said:
Hi, I was wondering, if anyone know about Loma Linda University in CA... Is the program at LLU prestigous?

drcharleshuang said:
Sure you can PM me Smooth... My brother is a 2nd year there. I didn't get in unfortunately since i'm not 7th day,

So, you're asking US questions about LLU, even though your brother attends there, and you didn't get in there anyway?

Wowzers.

Go to LLU. NYU is over crowded understaffed and does poorly on their Boards. NYC is too expensive and congested. LLU is in Southern Cali and from the guys previous post it has great rep and opportunities.

dpg said:
Go to LLU. NYU is over crowded understaffed and does poorly on their Boards. NYC is too expensive and congested. LLU is in Southern Cali and from the guys previous post it has great rep and opportunities.

LLU is in RIVERSIDE... which is in its own world in terms of overall ****ty-ness.... If I only had the two choices I'd pick NYU, but that's just me.

drcharleshuang said:
Is the program at LLU prestigous?
Rant: There's nothing wrong with this question, but I've never understood the significance of institutional "prestige". It seems like I only hear it talked about among internet forums and FMGs. A closer look at "prestigious" programs will usually just reveal a bunch of mental-masturbating. I have no idea where any of my healthcare providers went to school, and I probably wouldn't know anything about the schools anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
drcharleshuang said:

I dnt think this guy's trying to bash anyone's ideas. I think he's just trying to get a survey of what people (you) would do.

As far as MY choice, I would go to NYU. I have had the chance to visit the campus and the labs are quite depressing, the people seem friendly however old fashioned, and you just know that you are in a highly religious area when you go there. I'm not very religious, so the environment is different for me, almost akward. When I was at the clinic, there didn't seem to be a lot of patients waiting for services, the clinic was a huge open floor space with dental chairs lined up under bright florescent lights. And I have to say, Riverside/Loma Linda is quite depressing. We drove around just to see what the city had to offer, and let me say, not much. Sometimes I wonder how people end up in these "ghost towns." 4 years in a place like that would be a challenge. Dental school is challenging enough! Also, I find that the restrictments on your lifestyle to be outrageous. They say you can't live with your girlfriend/boyfriend, drink, smoke, or do any sort of drugs. Yeah, the drugs part, drinking and smoking is beneficial, but the difference between suggesting and enforcing is that if they find out you are doing such things, you CAN and probably WILL be kicked out (you sign an agreement). It has happened in the past. What does it say when a campus forces their students to do certain things rather than educate them not too? 'Cmon now, there are dental/med studnets, and they are still being streated as children/prisoners. I heard from some classmen when i was there, that these med students (I also applied med and got an interview here) had a GRADUATION party with alcohol and the school found out about it. Those students are no longer med students at LLU to say the least. What the Fu**?? LLU is not the school for ME. It has very little to offer and doesn't really allow you to grow as a cosmopolitan person. I don't think that you learn about the real world here, just about restrictions and more restrictions. They inevitably try to convert you to 7th day, if you already aren't (since most people there are) by making you take religious classes and even suggesting you to go to church. Oh they have a dress code. I heard from a friend who goes to LLU, that this white guy came in with corn rows (braids) and the administration made him take them out. If that is not fierce than I don't know what isn't. Girls have to wear skirts that are below the knee? Hello, it's freaken hot there, i'd like to wear a tanktop and shorts, even with a little cleavage showing. But, you can't, you have to wear slacks and a button up shirt. That is just ridiculous! I would understand if i was working in the clinic, but in the lab? who the hell is goign to see me in the undeground makeshift lab? anyway, it's not for me....

According to your post, man, I wouldn't last a week there!!!

norcal81 said:
i'd like to wear a tanktop and shorts, even with a little cleavage showing.....
and I also like how you think and your style! :thumbup: :D but I wouldn't want to be your classmate though! especially the guy sitting across from you! I just might end up drilling only God knows what! :eek: :laugh:

norcal81 said:
I dnt think this guy's trying to bash anyone's ideas. I think he's just trying to get a survey of what people (you) would do.

As far as MY choice, I would go to NYU. I have had the chance to visit the campus and the labs are quite depressing, the people seem friendly however old fashioned, and you just know that you are in a highly religious area when you go there. I'm not very religious, so the environment is different for me, almost akward. When I was at the clinic, there didn't seem to be a lot of patients waiting for services, the clinic was a huge open floor space with dental chairs lined up under bright florescent lights. And I have to say, Riverside/Loma Linda is quite depressing. We drove around just to see what the city had to offer, and let me say, not much. Sometimes I wonder how people end up in these "ghost towns." 4 years in a place like that would be a challenge. Dental school is challenging enough! Also, I find that the restrictments on your lifestyle to be outrageous. They say you can't live with your girlfriend/boyfriend, drink, smoke, or do any sort of drugs. Yeah, the drugs part, drinking and smoking is beneficial, but the difference between suggesting and enforcing is that if they find out you are doing such things, you CAN and probably WILL be kicked out (you sign an agreement). It has happened in the past. What does it say when a campus forces their students to do certain things rather than educate them not too? 'Cmon now, there are dental/med studnets, and they are still being streated as children/prisoners. I heard from some classmen when i was there, that these med students (I also applied med and got an interview here) had a GRADUATION party with alcohol and the school found out about it. Those students are no longer med students at LLU to say the least. What the Fu**?? LLU is not the school for ME. It has very little to offer and doesn't really allow you to grow as a cosmopolitan person. I don't think that you learn about the real world here, just about restrictions and more restrictions. They inevitably try to convert you to 7th day, if you already aren't (since most people there are) by making you take religious classes and even suggesting you to go to church. Oh they have a dress code. I heard from a friend who goes to LLU, that this white guy came in with corn rows (braids) and the administration made him take them out. If that is not fierce than I don't know what isn't. Girls have to wear skirts that are below the knee? Hello, it's freaken hot there, i'd like to wear a tanktop and shorts, even with a little cleavage showing. But, you can't, you have to wear slacks and a button up shirt. That is just ridiculous! I would understand if i was working in the clinic, but in the lab? who the hell is goign to see me in the undeground makeshift lab? anyway, it's not for me....

i went to berkeley and I think that nor cal is very depressing. too many homeless people, bad weather, no parking, always walking or taking bus, but thats my opinion. everyone is different people. i personally like the restrictions. it gives me more direction and discipline. as for the corn rows we are going to professional school so we should act like it. also, as for dress code, its taken very lightly and most people i know just wear jeans or whatever. you start off wearing dress clothes but everyone stray from that code in the first 2 years.

the point is everyone has their own opinions, but we need to express those opinions in a better way or else you just sound arrogant. most of these schools offer the same thing. you can go to the best or worst school, it jsut depends on what YOU do at that school.

Why depressing? Riverside is actually about 10 miles away. LLU is smooshed between Redlands, Colton, and San Bernadino. Sure none of these are the booming metropolis that most dental schools are found in, but those of you who claim that the area depresses you, why? The campus is beautiful (where you'll be most of the day), some of the apartments I looked at within 5 miles are pretty nice (where you'll be the rest of the day), and the beach or mountains are each within an hour (weekend recreation that can't be beat anywhere). I guess if seeing the occasional run-down barrio on your way to the mall is something that really gets you emotional then you should avoid most of southern california.
If I'm wrong then hopefully I can cope with all the depression I'll be facing next year.

I think for the majority of people, Riverside/LL will be depressing. (Who would think of naming it riverside? It is not by the river that 's for sure) Just face it. Everyone I know that is in Riverside/LL wants to get out of it. There's a bunch of traffic(since a lot of people from live in Riverside cause it's cheaper and commute to LA for work) and the air is really unhealthy.

"the beach or mountains are each within an hour (weekend recreation that can't be beat anywhere)."<-- Honey, the mountains might be an hour away, more like rolling hills, and the beach is far far away. You'd be stuck in traffic half the time too. I think their's a lake. Oh and there's no good shopping!!! Where the hell am I going to release my stress?? :smuggrin:

ecrdoubles15 said:
i went to berkeley and I think that nor cal is very depressing. too many homeless people, bad weather, no parking, always walking or taking bus, but thats my opinion. everyone is different people. i personally like the restrictions. it gives me more direction and discipline. as for the corn rows we are going to professional school so we should act like it. also, as for dress code, its taken very lightly and most people i know just wear jeans or whatever. you start off wearing dress clothes but everyone stray from that code in the first 2 years.

I am assuming that you attend LLU? Please honey, you can't compare the weather from Berkeley to Riverside, Riverside is just plain unhealthy. The air is so bad at Riverside, it's probably comparable to smoking a few cigs a day. Let me ask you a question.... if there was an african american going to LLU (which I think i may have seen one when I was there) and he/she was in corn rows, is that unprofessional? Would the administration force him to take them out? I think the reason why it was a big deal was because the guy wearing corn rows was white. Just because someone wears corn rows does not mean that he's unprofessional. Think of the messages this school is telling you. Not only are they being biggots for not allowing a white person to wear corn rows, but they are limiting your self expression and intrigue about other cultures.
"It gives me more direction and discipline"?? Honey, have your own direction and discipline. Don't let this sanctuary mold you into another 7th day clone. I know there's a sexy chica inside of you just waiting to be set free. Honey, set it free :luck:

lnn2 said:
According to your post, man, I wouldn't last a week there!!!

and I also like how you think and your style! :thumbup: :D but I wouldn't want to be your classmate though! especially the guy sitting across from you! I just might end up drilling only God knows what! :eek: :laugh:

With what? your 4inch power drill?

In all honesty, the people you'll be around in dental school might be the people you decide to get married to, etc. God forbid that happen at LLU. No offense but I did not see one hottie.

im from so cal and USAggie dont worry cause the beach is not that far away. i know la traffic like the back of my hand. 30-40 minutes your in beverly hills, 45-50 you at the beach. so we can take a road trip USAggie, its an easy drive on weekends. dont listen to norcal. she has no clue.

again norcal, everyone has their own opinions so you dont have to criticize them all the time. hello, you are the one who applied to both med and dental there. you are a disgrace to the dental field, and you are obviously one of those nerds from berkeley (the majority group) whose parents just wwanted then to become a doctor so you tried applying to med and dental. its ok HONEY, so your not really passionate about either. you wont last a second. have a great life. I know its going to be very tough for you HONEY to decide between both professiions. all i know is that you wont be my classmate HONEY, thank god. ciao. AND ITS OVER!!!

Wow i didn't know i would get this much of a response from my post. I guess i just wanted to know what you were gonna do if you were in that situation. I didn't intend to bash LLU, it's actually a decent school with decent people.

again norcal, everyone has their own opinions so you dont have to criticize them all the time. hello, you are the one who applied to both med and dental there. you are a disgrace to the dental field, and you are obviously one of those nerds from berkeley (the majority group) whose parents just wwanted then to become a doctor so you tried applying to med and dental. its ok HONEY, so your not really passionate about either. you wont last a second. have a great life. I know its going to be very tough for you HONEY to decide between both professiions. all i know is that you wont be my classmate HONEY, thank god. ciao. AND ITS OVER!!![/QUOTE]

I'm not from berkeley ****. Don't hate me because you know i'm hotter than you, richer than you, and happier than you. Muah.

I'm not from berkeley ****. Don't hate me because you know i'm hotter than you, richer than you, and happier than you. Muah.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, i feel a cat fight comming on.... I'd love to be between the two of ya especially norcal... i hear they make em sweeter up there... lick :horns:

norcal81 said:
.... richer than you,
You'd better be if shopping is your form of recreation, honey. I have almost $2000 to my name right now, and it's all leftover undergrad student loans.

Still, nobody addressed my earlier points - LLU is not in Riverside - why is the area depressing?

Another thought - corn rows on a white man is about the ugliest hair style ever made. I'd rather have classmates with mullets than white man corn rows, so props to any school that bans them. :thumbup: honey

I would choose NYU.

Loma Linda is a better school, IMO, but if their regulations would bother you, then head out east.

USUaggie said:
You'd better be if shopping is your form of recreation, honey. I have almost $2000 to my name right now, and it's all leftover undergrad student loans.

Still, nobody addressed my earlier points - LLU is not in Riverside - why is the area depressing?

Another thought - corn rows on a white man is about the ugliest hair style ever made. I'd rather have classmates with mullets than white man corn rows, so props to any school that bans them. :thumbup: honey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Riverside and LLU are basically in the same kinda area. That is, the difference is just a few miles but the houses, people and environments are very similar. Go check it out if your going to LLU I would highly suggest before attending school. It's 4 years afterall.

haha about teh cornrows, yeah ugly on a white boy no doubt about it.

doctordental said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Riverside and LLU are basically in the same kinda area. That is, the difference is just a few miles but the houses, people and environments are very similar. Go check it out if your going to LLU I would highly suggest before attending school. It's 4 years afterall.

haha about teh cornrows, yeah ugly on a white boy no doubt about it.
Yeah, I know they're not too far apart but if one were to live in Riverside it would be a considered a commute to get to school and back.
I've actually seen the school three times now. A few weeks ago I gave my dad a tour of the school. Can anyone tell me specifically what depressed them about the area? Keep in mind I'm from a small town so I won't be devastated if I have to drive a half hour to get to a decent mall or find a club.

USUaggie said:
Yeah, I know they're not too far apart but if one were to live in Riverside it would be a considered a commute to get to school and back.
I've actually seen the school three times now. A few weeks ago I gave my dad a tour of the school. Can anyone tell me specifically what depressed them about the area? Keep in mind I'm from a small town so I won't be devastated if I have to drive a half hour to get to a decent mall or find a club.

if you dont mind driving 30 minutes or so to get to a mall or club, you will be fine. the area is fine. the actual city of loma linda is only 5 square miles so of course you are going to have to commute to go have fun. but who cares. the ones who really put down the school hardcore are the ones who didnt get in. everyone has their own kind of palce that they would like to live. for me, loma linda is perfect for going to school (but i wouldnt stay there), no distractions, cheapest rent anywhere ($250 - $500 a month), quiet and open. then when it comes tmie to going out, its just a 30-40 minute drive. area shoudlnt really matter, because its only for school. its not like we are going to stay there after school. all you have to look at is how great the school is and that should be it!

ecrdoubles15 said:
area shoudlnt really matter, because its only for school. its not like we are going to stay there after school. all you have to look at is how great the school is and that should be it!

I have to completely disagree with you that area shouldnt matter. Im not saying that Loma Linda isnt in a good area...I have no clue. However, I think its absolutely critical that the location you will be going to school suits your needs, wants and desires. There is nothing worse than living in an area that you dont enjoy. It doesnt matter if you know you wont be there for more than 4 years. The whole point is to enjoy life. Therefore, I think its essential to go to a school that not only fits your academic expectations, but also gives you a quality of life that meets your standards as well.

Rezdawg said:
I have to completely disagree with you that area shouldnt matter. Im not saying that Loma Linda isnt in a good area...I have no clue. However, I think its absolutely critical that the location you will be going to school suits your needs, wants and desires. There is nothing worse than living in an area that you dont enjoy. It doesnt matter if you know you wont be there for more than 4 years. The whole point is to enjoy life. Therefore, I think its essential to go to a school that not only fits your academic expectations, but also gives you a quality of life that meets your standards as well.
I agree with this statement but from what I understand about the lifestyles of dental students, most of the day is studying. You don't really have the time to go out every night. Most will only have fun on the weekends or every other weekend. In this case, I think it's important that you like the campus (LLU's was the 2nd best I saw in all my interviews - they have a nice grassy area and palm trees around. Nova's was actually a little prettier) and that you get a good apartment in a good neighborhood. LLU's surrounding areas have plenty of great apartments available. When I'm done studying for the day all I need is a hot tub, slurpee, and the Simpsons.

USUaggie said:
I agree with this statement but from what I understand about the lifestyles of dental students, most of the day is studying. You don't really have the time to go out every night. Most will only have fun on the weekends or every other weekend. In this case, I think it's important that you like the campus (LLU's was the 2nd best I saw in all my interviews - they have a nice grassy area and palm trees around. Nova's was actually a little prettier) and that you get a good apartment in a good neighborhood. LLU's surrounding areas have plenty of great apartments available. When I'm done studying for the day all I need is a hot tub, slurpee, and the Simpsons.

As long as you enjoy the campus, apartments, and hot tubs, and arent looking for much more than that, then you are set. :thumbup:

USUaggie said:

exactly