o-chem from two different places?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok....I got this problem here. I'll be most probbably doing organic chemistry I next semester in a community college and after that I'll be transferring to a university for my undergrad degree. The problem is when I'm enrolled in the University, I cant take organic chem II in the same community college because of timing issues. So I'll have to take it in the University itself. I think that Universities teach their classes in a higher standard compared to community colleges and so I guess that is going to affect me....If I want to do o-chem II only at the comminty college, I'll have to wait for 3 semesters and then do it.....
So any advice?
Thanks
Nev

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not afraid of taking it at a University.....I was just asking about it if there were any diffferences. There could be some differences from both institutions which can be a problem.

It's not that bad at a university. Give it the time it deserves and you'll be fine.

Specifically, on your question - I took Gen Chem I at a CC and Gen Chem II at a university. Some of the things I covered in 1 wasn't covered at the university and vice versa. Something to consider. I missed 1 easy question in the first chem II test because they had already covered it earlier in 1 but it wasn't covered at the place I took it.

It's best to take the sequence 1,2-at the same place. Though you'll be fine if you don't - just keep in mind you may have to play catchup. By the time I was done with 2 at the university I had the highest score overall in class despite my bumpy start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y_Marker said:
It's not that bad at a university. Give it the time it deserves and you'll be fine.

Specifically, on your question - I took Gen Chem I at a CC and Gen Chem II at a university. Some of the things I covered in 1 wasn't covered at the university and vice versa. Something to consider. I missed 1 easy question in the first chem II test because they had already covered it earlier in 1 but it wasn't covered at the place I took it.

It's best to take the sequence 1,2-at the same place. Though you'll be fine if you don't - just keep in mind you may have to play catchup. By the time I was done with 2 at the university I had the highest score overall in class despite my bumpy start.

Thanx for the reply......Is good knowledge in organic chem I really helpful in Organic chemistry II? The reason why I'm asking this isto compare it organicI....for example...I figured out that w/o Bio I, I could still do bio II....is this the same for Organic II...
Sorry , my qeustion sounds confusing, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say...

Nev

nev said:
Thanx for the reply......Is good knowledge in organic chem I really helpful in Organic chemistry II? The reason why I'm asking this isto compare it organicI....for example...I figured out that w/o Bio I, I could still do bio II....is this the same for Organic II...
Sorry , my qeustion sounds confusing, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say...

Nev

yeah--O-chem builds upon itself--you can't just take O-chem II without taking O-chem I.....that would be horribly painful