O Chem Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abraxas

CSU Chico Class of 2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
studing for my o chem final and i can't seem to solve this problem any help would be appricated...

Provide a retrosynthetic analysis and a synthesis of the following compound (note that your synthesis will produce a racemic mixture; only one enantiomer is shown). You have available alcohols of six or less carbons, chlorobenzene (PhCl), and any common inorganic or organic reagents.

OH OH
l l
Ph--C--C--Cyclohexane

also both the Ph (Phenol/benzene) and the cyclohexane are coming out towards you from the plane and the alcohols are both in plane...

Again any help would be greatly appricated..

Members don't see this ad.

Is this Orgo I or II?

Orgo 1, main problem i am having is i don't know where to start first, i think i want to break the bond between the two carbons with the alcohols but for some reason it just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I'm just really confused :confused:....

Members don't see this ad :)
Although this helps you not at all, I'm just in the process of reading through the ACS study guide. I figured out my grade, and i need to do only SLIGHTLY better than a monkey on the final and keep my B. (50%) Having already been accepted to a school, my motivation to study is COMPLETELY in the toilet.

Good luck! Ochem bites heiny! :D

*grumbles* annoying ppl who are already accepted to medical school *grumbles

its ok though i figured it out, and now to bask in the warming glowing of my own genius (hey i rarely feel smart so i am going to enjoying it)...

abraxas said:
*grumbles* annoying ppl who are already accepted to medical school *grumbles

its ok though i figured it out, and now to bask in the warming glowing of my own genius (hey i rarely feel smart so i am going to enjoying it)...

Cool... :thumbup:

I wouldn't have known the solution for it anyways using only Orgo I reactions.

Good luck with your finals!

just on the side note...

I have no clue what the answer is and I did really well in O Chem classes.

It just shows how useless premed classes are (except for bio, bio chem).
We are learning crap and spending a lot of money to get into medical schools.

If any one of you become the President of AAMC, AMA or whatever it is, change the system like the Europeans have, so we could start medical education early (17, 18) and not study all these junk

The Alcahols are are on the 2 C-C ?

yep the alcohols are on the 2 C-C, best to think of it at a phenol attached to a diethanol on one side and the other side of the diethanol is attached to a cyclohexane...