o so confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diva15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal -
i have a 3.0 overall gpa, c's in gen chem and orgo, c's and b's in bio, and a's in physics....so my science gpa sucks. i am yet to take my oats....which i hope to ace. I love the optometry field...have volunteered at opt offices and am currently work as a optician assistant...but what and where r my chances to get in? looking at this site (http://opted.org/info_profile2.cfm) i feel like i don't have a chance anywhere except puerto rico.

can someone with recent experience and knowledge plz tell me honestly what they think abt my chances of getting in? where would i get in? what schools would probably accept me? has anyone gotten into opt school with grades like mine (in the past year...as stats have changed)? what if i do well on my oats? i'm so worried....i neeeed advice!!! thank u :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

you MIGHT get in with a low prereq gpa, but unless your over 2.5, your chances for any school are low. lucky for you your application is just not your grades, but your extra curriculars, letters of rec and your personal statements. take a look at the actual profile for each school, you are intersted in. most schools have pretty broad ranges (2.8-4.0) for gpa.

you can always retake classes you got a c in and try to boost your gpa.

diva15 said:
Here's the deal -
i have a 3.0 overall gpa, c's in gen chem and orgo, c's and b's in bio, and a's in physics....so my science gpa sucks. i am yet to take my oats....which i hope to ace. I love the optometry field...have volunteered at opt offices and am currently work as a optician assistant...but what and where r my chances to get in? looking at this site (http://opted.org/info_profile2.cfm) i feel like i don't have a chance anywhere except puerto rico.

can someone with recent experience and knowledge plz tell me honestly what they think abt my chances of getting in? where would i get in? what schools would probably accept me? has anyone gotten into opt school with grades like mine (in the past year...as stats have changed)? what if i do well on my oats? i'm so worried....i neeeed advice!!! thank u :confused:

you sound pretty much like me. =o) except i got c and c- in physics. but i love optometry and worked as an oa for a while. my oat wasn't stellar, either, but i did get a 400 on the reading comp. i was accepted for entering class last year (c/o 2009) at scco. grades aren't everything so don't worry too much.