Observership VS clinical IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayummu34

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am very confused and stressed about the elective ..
its on nxt JUNE/JULY and everyone is saying I need to have to find one soon or less chances
now I have a chance to do "Observership" in grossment hospital/SanDiego due to connection
or clinical hand on in Iliinois (Jackson Park hospital) vs florida (FIU) vs Kingsbrook (NYU) *not choose yet due to over anxiety
some says Obs vs handon not really imp in IM ??
I am very intrested in Claefornia as I have realtives there that I can live with them without worrying for apartment and safety
but I dont want to take an observership if LOR not as good as hand on
what is your advice !?

Members don't see this ad.

Super blunt. What’s your step scores. You may have very little chance of getting in, regardless which ones you pick.

Super blunt. What’s your step scores. You may have very little chance of getting in, regardless which ones you pick.

Not done with step1 yet. these two have accepted students without step1 and they said not required

Members don't see this ad :)
Not done with step1 yet. these two have accepted students without step1 and they said not required

Talking about residency. That’s what you’re after.... if you just need something to show for, then either is fine.

observership, as the same implies, you’re only observing. Basically you paid a fee to see to understand American medical system.

Medical rotation, usually will get you to do more.

If you want to apply for an US residency spot, you need to have very good steps’ scores. If you don’t, doing either or both is just wasting your time.

Reactions: 1 user
Talking about residency. That’s what you’re after.... if you just need something to show for, then either is fine.

observership, as the same implies, you’re only observing. Basically you paid a fee to see to understand American medical system.

Medical rotation, usually will get you to do more.

If you want to apply for an US residency spot, you need to have very good steps’ scores. If you don’t, doing either or both is just wasting your time.

I know this very well and I am studying now for step , I am undergraduate "fifth year "
I will take step1 nxt year near March/april (before my elective time by only 2 monthes)
So, for now I am looking for the elective to get good LORs without having step1 score and worry
about taking Obser in a good place as San diego where I have good connections
or hand on but in less known places like jackson park in illinios

that what I am asking for my friend ... not the residency requirement

1. Will you be looking to do a residency in US in the future? How soon?
2. If yes. A rotation that the attendings can say you “did” well rather than you “observe” well is worth more, don’t you think?
3. If no. Then no one cares. Do an easy rotation, move on.

Good luck.