^*~*~*^Official 2007 Secondary Questions Thread^*~*~*^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have secondary information for Emory, Meharry, Morehouse, Mercer, or University of Alabama-Birmingham? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From looking through this, there don't appear to be any real essays. There are some spots where you can add additional informtion, so I guess I'll put those down, for anyone who is curious.

If you don't have a committee LOR, they want you to explain:
"No Health Professions Advisory Committee letter is available to me for the following reason(s) (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words):"

If you can't get that or the traditional 3 LOR's, they also want you to explain:
"If you are unable to provide letters from undergraduate faculty in the sciences, as requested, please substitute letters that you believe are most appropriate and explain the substitutions (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words):"

If you didn't go to college directly from high school:
"If no, please explain: (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)"

If you're not planning on going straight to med school from college:
"If no, please explain: (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)"

Then there's this little bit, I can't figure out if it's optional or not, or only intended for those who answered no to one of the two above questions (?)
"Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be part of particular interest to us: (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)"

Then there's a table to be filled out of pre-reqs, and there's this blank underneath:
"Use the space below to explain or clarify any entries in the table that you believe require elaboration. In particular, if your academic record is not consistent with our requirements or your undergraduate record is not based in a semester system, please fill out the table as best you can and provide an explanation here. (2250 character limit, approximately 450 words)"

Finally, there's this optional section:
"Most applicants apply to many medical schools and we are aware that the cumulative work of the application process is substantial. Furthermore, we find that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. We have, therefore, decided to eliminate our request for a supplemental essay.

While we no longer require an essay, we find that some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish to use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, up to a total of 500 words, addressing any issue you feel is of importance, feel free to do so. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this supplemental application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS. Use this option only if you believe that the additional information will help us to learn something about you as a person, to get a sense of who you are and what you are about, beyond the basic facts of your academic work and your life history as it is otherwise available to us.

Please be assured that we offer this opportunity only for those applicants who wish to provide additional information and that it is entirely optional. For most applicants, no supplementary material will be necessary and this space can be left blank."

And that's all. Personally, I think this is one optional essay I'm going to leave blank - the sections I bolded make it sound like they really do consider it optional (maybe the adcoms were getting bored of reading all those supplementary essays?).

I think these are the same as in years past.

Please answer I or II
I. Among other qualities, we seek candidates who bring commitment, intiative, and independence to their volunteer activitis, research projects, and/or health-related employment. Please describe an activity in which you have participated that exemplifies these qualities, as they relate to medicine. (If you need more space please add additional pages.)

II. Please list five qualities that you possess that are important for an interviewer to know about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda anyone?

ckdba said:
Hey...how is anyone who is not an URM addressing the optional question on the Pitt secondary? Are you addressing it at all and if you are how? I'm trying to decide if I should just leave it blank or come up with a creative answer.

I wrote about how I've lived in different countries and experienced diverse cultures, and I also talked a bit about my various interests. Hope it doesn't bore them. :p

Coldsweat_06 said:
Does anyone have secondary information for Emory, Meharry, Morehouse, Mercer, or University of Alabama-Birmingham? Thanks.
for meharry

Please indicate why you wish to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine?

Tufts:

MD:
Please answer the following questions with information that is appropriate to your own situation. If the answer is “no”, that is perfectly acceptable. Most applicants apply to many schools to optimize the likelihood of admissions. We understand this.

Is there any compelling personal reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend TUSM in particular or to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school or studying in another city?
Yes No
Please explain briefly (in a paragraph or less). .(1000 characters or less)

Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute significantly to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?
Yes No
Please explain briefly (in a paragraph or less).

MD/MPH:
What experience have you had that you consider relevant to the graduate degree program to which you are applying?
(Include paid or volunteer work experiences and/or extracurricular activities)..(2000 characters or less)

How do you foresee making use of your combined degree training in your future career? Please be as specific as possible..(2000 characters or less)

Does anyone have the UT Southwestern secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
pkchop64 said:
Does anyone have the UT Southwestern secondary?

Actually I found it.

In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine. (500 words)

I know that some people have gotten Northwestern's secondary already...but I submitted my AMCAS app on June 5th and was verified shortly after and haven't heard anything yet...do other people have similar problems?

Anastasis said:
Emory will be out the 15th of July - supposedly.

you mean August 15th, that i what the email said

NoktorNoL said:
I know that some people have gotten Northwestern's secondary already...but I submitted my AMCAS app on June 5th and was verified shortly after and haven't heard anything yet...do other people have similar problems?
I haven't gotten it yet either and I've been verified awhile as well.

confused48 said:
Minnesota--Twin Cities anyone?

I don't envy you on that one - if I remember correctly, that secondary received some serious votes for the worst one out there. Don't have the questions available for you..sorry.

NoktorNoL said:

Has no one posted Northwestern's secondary questions yet? If not, I can put them up for everyone. Send me a PM to let me know.

p.s. where's University of Miami and University of Florida's secondary Q's...I know some people have already gotten these...

You can add Harvard to the list: There are no essays for "The New Pathway" application. Someone else who is taking the other route can supply those questions.

Loma Linda:

(1) Describe the extent and source of your knowledge of Loma Linda University (LLU) School of Medicine. (750 characters max)

(2) What makes LLU School of Medicine particularly attractive to you? (750 characters max)

(3) What traits make you a desirable candidate for admission to LLU School of Medicine? (750 characters max)

(4) Loma Linda University is a Seventh-day Adventist institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program. How would this relate to your personal educational and career goals? (750 characters max)

(5) As a Seventh-day Adventist institution, LLU has lifestyle expectations which include abstinence from alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs/substances in all forms while enrolled. During the past year, have you used any of these substances? If so, which ones? (250 characters max)

(6) If you are accepted to LLU School of Medicine, are you willing to abide by the lifestyle policies of the university while enrolled? (250 characters max)

Describe your involvement with your religious group (750 characters max)

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to email me the secondaries for any of the following schools:

UVA
MCV
EVMS
Vanderbuilt
Emory
Georgetown

I've been waiting to be verified by AMCAS for nearly three weeks now and would really love to be able to have some of my secondaries ready to be mailed as soon as I am verified/get secondary requests from other schools. PM me if you'd be willing to help a fellow pre-med out!!!!

varunner said:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to email me the secondaries for any of the following schools:

UVA
MCV
EVMS
Vanderbuilt
Emory
Georgetown

I've been waiting to be verified by AMCAS for nearly three weeks now and would really love to be able to have some of my secondaries ready to be mailed as soon as I am verified/get secondary requests from other schools. PM me if you'd be willing to help a fellow pre-med out!!!!
The questions for UVA, MCV (VCU), and Georgetown are already on the list, you can get the questions there. I just realized EVMS isn't up there yet, so I'll post the questions in a little bit.

I think the Harvard description should be more detailed. Unlike the UPenn secondary which REALLY has no essays, Harvard does have an essay question for anyone who is not currently an undergrad:

If you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation (4000 characters).

I don't know how to update the link, but whoever is willing to do it, go ahead and work your magic.

DF38 said:
The questions for UVA, MCV (VCU), and Georgetown are already on the list, you can get the questions there. I just realized EVMS isn't up there yet, so I'll post the questions in a little bit.

Oh I know I can find the questions here, I was just wondering if anyone would send me the actual PDF files so that I can fill out the rest of the info and then package it up for mailing as soon as I get my official secondary requests from schools. Anybody willing to help?

Thanks!

Any one has this long UC Davis secondary?
I noticed someone has passed the screened on the other topic but didn't see the question here yet. Thanks

varunner said:
Oh I know I can find the questions here, I was just wondering if anyone would send me the actual PDF files so that I can fill out the rest of the info and then package it up for mailing as soon as I get my official secondary requests from schools. Anybody willing to help?

Thanks!
EVMS anyone can access, it doesn't require a password. UVA isn't a PDF, neither is VCU, and I don't know about the others because I didn't apply there.

Here are EVMS's secondary questions:

1) Briefly describe your exposure to medicine.

2) What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

3) What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

4) Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it 10 years from now.

5) Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS.

All are the same length, probably about a brief paragraph. No specific line/character limit, but all five of them together (with the space for answers) fill up one pdf page, if that helps.

Autobiography: Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. (2000 word limit)

Skills: In addition to preparing you to be an excellent physician, Vanderbilt is committed to educating leaders and scholars in clinical practice, basic research, clinical research, education, and health policy. Describe any skills or experiences that have prepared you for one or more of these broader missions. (500 word limit)

Research: Discuss the scholarly work or research you have done of which you are most proud. What did you find? What might be the consequences of your work (500 word limit)

After submitting, print it out and send it in.

Fee: $50

hocapoca said:
Any one has this long UC Davis secondary?
I noticed someone has passed the screened on the other topic but didn't see the question here yet. Thanks

i haven't been verified yet, but i got the questions from a friend:

UC Davis

Describe a difficult situation you have had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this will prepare you for a career in medicine? (600 characters)

Who would you consider to be the most influential person in your life and why? (600 characters)

Each applicant brings with them goals of what they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their larger dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. In a brief paragraph, please describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life. (600 characters)

Clinical Experience - Pick one item you selected above and describe in the space below what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (600 characters)

Research Experience - Pick one item you selected above and describe in the space below what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (600 characters)

Leadership Experience - Pick one item you selected above and describe in the space below what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (600 characters)

Other Work Experience - Pick one item you selected above and describe in the space below what you did and how it will make you a better physician. (600 characters)

The UCD School of Medicine offers a broad and diverse range of educational opportunities for our students. The extent of careers that our graduates achieve includes the entire gamut of medical practice, from that of the primary physician to academic physicians in teaching and research institutuions. For the latter, a predoctoral academic program that combines the MD program with that of a Ph.D. is often chosen. The UCD School of Medicine offers a dual degree Physician Scientist Traning Program (PSTP) for suitably qualified candidates. The Ph.D. segment of this program may be undertaken in any of the graduate programs on the entire UC Davis campus. There is a broad diversity of programs from which to select, including the typical MD/Ph.D. tracks in biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering, but the program can also encompass the social sciences, humanities and economics. The goal of the dual degree program is to train academic physicians to be able to make important contributions to medical care and education in the 21st century.

If you are interested in the PSTP that might allow you to meet some of the above aims, please provide a supplementary essay that would indicate your interest in pursuing a dual degree. Your comments should include your research background and reasons for pursuing a combined degree program.

Anyone heard anything from Stanford, Duke, or Miami?

Your responses to these questions will provide detailed information to the Admissions Committee as they look to understand you as a medical school applicant. Your responses should include reasoned descriptions of meaningful life experiences and challenges, unique qualities, skills, accomplishments, problems or successes. Please do not restate, or simply refer to your AMCAS essay. Also, your answers should not be a litany of activities. Reflect on specific experiences, what you learned from them, and how they may have changed you.
Please limit your responses to the word limits indicated at the end of each question.

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. [Limit response to 250 words]
2. Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it. [Limit response to 250 words]
3. The Medical School is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following factors: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations

How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body? [Limit response to 250 words]
4. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you have to this state. [Limit response to 50 words]
5. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year. [Limit response to 200 words]
6. Please explain any gaps in your educational and/or work experiences, since high school graduation, that are not previously described in your application. [Limit response to 200 words]
7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you will pursue is: [Limit response to 50 words]

Have fun writing this one Hah!

At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

braluk said:
Have fun writing this one Hah!

At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Jigga what? ummmmm... I don't even know what that means. :confused:

ClosetNerd said:
Jigga what? ummmmm... I don't even know what that means. :confused:

Apparently UCSF is out....could somebody post the qs? UCI too.

Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. [Limit response to 250 words]

Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it. [Limit response to 250 words]

The Medical School is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following factors: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations

How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body? [Limit response to 250 words]

If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you have to this state. [Limit response to 50 words]

Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year. [Limit response to 200 words]

Please explain any gaps in your educational and/or work experiences, since high school graduation, that are not previously described in your application. [Limit response to 200 words]

Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you will pursue is: [Limit response to 50 words]

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? [Limit response to 150 words]

Hope this helps. :thumbup:

durfen said:
Apparently UCSF is out....could somebody post the qs? UCI too.

Last year UCSF didn't have an essay. I'm crossing my fingers for this year :D

Anyone feel like posting essay questions for:

U of Rochester
Albany Medical
Albert Einstein
Brown
UConneticut

I don't have these yet.

eternalrage said:
Anyone feel like updating this one for those of us who haven't gotten the secondaries yet?

I'm missing the essay questions for:

Boston
U of Rochester
Albany Medical
Albert Einstein
Tufts
Brown
UConneticut
BU and Tufts are up there, just look at the list further up the page. I don't know about the others since I'm not applying there, but I don't know if the secondaries are out yet, you can try checking out the other secondary thread.