**Official 2008 MD/PhD Acceptance Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYU: Picklesali (11/12, email), Dodo23 (11/12, email)
University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email)
University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail), MSTPbound (11/15, phone call anticipating snail mail)
University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director
Vanderbilt: j-weezy (10/17 - call from director)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call)

First one! Man its nice to finally be able to relax.

Members don't see this ad.

University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email)
University of Massachusetts: bioartist (11/16, email)
University of Pittsburgh: clover86 (10/19, snail mail), HypoxiaBoy (10/19, snail mail), Richardlo (10/19, snail mail), MSTPbound (11/15, phone call anticipating snail mail)
Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call)

Nice news to get on a Friday :) There's not too much talk of UMass on the forum, but if there's anyone else out there interviewing/has interviewed at UMass, I would love to hear from you to share impressions.

but if there's anyone else out there interviewing/has interviewed at UMass, I would love to hear from you to share impressions.

I interviewed there in mid September and loved it. The primary care education is 11th in the country, and the new Lazare building was impressive. Unfortunately I did not get an email today. If you dont mind me asking, are you in-state?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you dont mind me asking, are you in-state?

Yes, I'm from MA - though one of the candidates interviewing the same day I did was out-of-state, and I thought the coordinator told him that the MD/PhD program did not preferentially accept MA residents.

Are you in-state? I'm guessing from your screen name that you're at least a New Englander...

Just got waitlisted at Case...ugh...I'm curious to hear how the Reserve treated my fellow interviewees. J-weezy? Kraz?

I was also waitlisted, with the same message. At least the message was hopeful. Maybe we should start a waitlisted thread.

For all you WashU applicants who got accepted, when you got the packet in the mail, was it only from the School of Medicine, and not the MSTP office?

They overnighted the package but I wasn't here to receive it. It will arrive back on Monday. The phone call came from the MSTP office. I think the package is from the MD office only but I'm not sure.

So about MSTP and $100 deposits...do we get that back?

Wash U: revaldo29 (11/15 - phone call), solitude (same)

Wow, solitude, congrats! Not that I'm surprised. :)

I believe it's refundable up to May 15.

That's not what I mean...
The $100 is a deposit - meaning for regular MD it is applied for tuition. I know that if you decide to go somewhere else that it's refundable (up to May 15). What I wanted to know is: for the place that you matriculate into the MSTP, since we don't pay tuition...do we get this $100 back?

It's cool if we don't, I'd rather pay $100, than med school tuition. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's not what I mean...
The $100 is a deposit - meaning for regular MD it is applied for tuition. I know that if you decide to go somewhere else that it's refundable (up to May 15). What I wanted to know is: for the place that you matriculate into the MSTP, since we don't pay tuition...do we get this $100 back?

It's cool if we don't, I'd rather pay $100, than med school tuition. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Dear me, I hadn't thought about that. I've also been puzzling over the acceptance/deposit thing and now I'm confused. I think I'll just call and ask on Monday.

When do we get our MSTP acceptance letters for WashU, or is the phone call from their office it?

jlamacc1, sorry to hear about Case putting you on the wait list. How and when did Case contact you?

I haven't heard anything yet...hang in there! You have some amazing interviews lined up - I'm jealous!

University of Michigan: solitude (10/31, email), j-weezy (11/14, email)

Dodo,
What did you write in your "matriculation letter" for NYU? Do you just say that you are accepting the offer of admission and intend to matriculate? I feel weird writing that, just in case it's not the place I eventually end up....

Everyone else,
Do other schools require a letter like this with the deposit??

Dodo,
What did you write in your "matriculation letter" for NYU? Do you just say that you are accepting the offer of admission and intend to matriculate? I feel weird writing that, just in case it's not the place I eventually end up....

Everyone else,

Be careful...I thought it was the sort of thing where you can hold onto the letters without sending an 'intent to matriculate' letter back. At least that's the impression I got from Vanderbilt and Michigan I haven't received an official letter in the mail from Michigan yet though. Oh, and so far I haven't been asked to send in a deposit...

Dodo,

Everyone else,
J-weezy, we were not told anything about this in the email, but in the snail mail we were told to send a deposit and letter. I felt weird about it, too, Pickles. Anyway, I asked my premed advisor and she said to write that I was happy to accept the offer of admission and was sending the $100 deposit. It's not binding until May 15. :)

And no, I don't think all schools require this.

Be careful...I thought it was the sort of thing where you can hold onto the letters without sending an 'intent to matriculate' letter back. At least that's the impression I got from Vanderbilt and Michigan I haven't received an official letter in the mail from Michigan yet though. Oh, and so far I haven't been asked to send in a deposit...

Hmmmm... Now I'm really confused. The letter that I received came with a little card that said - I needed to send in a $100 matriculation deposit and a letter saying that I would matriculate. AND that if that wasn't received within 2 weeks of my acceptance that acceptance would be withdrawn. But it also said that the deposit was refundable until May 15.

Grrr... So, I my letter was dated the 8th but I didn't get it until Saturday because I was out of town, and I had to mail it today, because...well...I'm at the airport right now... (I love free internet!)

I worded my letter that I "accept the offer of admission for blah blah" and that I have attached my deposit...and that I look forward to the revisit. I hope that was vague enough to be non-binding if need be.

Oh well!

Hmmmm... Now I'm really confused. The letter that I received came with a little card that said - I needed to send in a $100 matriculation deposit and a letter saying that I would matriculate. AND that if that wasn't received within 2 weeks of my acceptance that acceptance would be withdrawn. But it also said that the deposit was refundable until May 15.

Grrr... So, I my letter was dated the 8th but I didn't get it until Saturday because I was out of town, and I had to mail it today, because...well...I'm at the airport right now... (I love free internet!)

I worded my letter that I "accept the offer of admission for blah blah" and that I have attached my deposit...and that I look forward to the revisit. I hope that was vague enough to be non-binding if need be.

Oh well!
Hey Pickles,

Not to worry - my letter was also dated the 8th, and I also received it only on Saturday and have to mail it in today. I'm just going to send an e-mail to the MSTP director explaining the circumstances and my premed advisor said that should be fine. And I used more or less the same wording in the snail mail letter as you did.

Cheers! :)

Case Western: j-weezy (11/19 - phone call)

Wow...congrats again!
So are there any front runners yet out of your 3 acceptances?

I don't think this is the right place for this, but just out of curiosity how did you Rhodes-sters make out in the end? I know the girl who won from Penn and I must say, I am not surprised! She is probably the most ambitious person I've ever met, and not to mention a bloody genius (4.0 in the Huntsman Program...ouch). I'll be so incredibly impressed if you guys win!

I don't think this is the right place for this, but just out of curiosity how did you Rhodes-sters make out in the end? I know the girl who won from Penn and I must say, I am not surprised! She is probably the most ambitious person I've ever met, and not to mention a bloody genius (4.0 in the Huntsman Program...ouch). I'll be so incredibly impressed if you guys win!

I made it to the interview round but sadly didn't win. :( How did you do with the Marshall?

A good friend of mine won from my school! She deserves it too but unlike the Penn person, is not a 'typical' superstar. I'm thrilled the committee could see through some of the superficial 'resume-padding' and see the applicants for who they were and chose people who would benefit the most from those 3 years at Oxford....

To the people who didn't make it - don't get too down, it's probably for the best....I'm not too sure how well a Rhodes or a Marshall would benefit an MD/PhD when the path is already so long

-j

Rejected for Marshall, but not too surprised considering the only really substantive extracurricular I have to my name is my research...not really the best for demonstrating a commitment to "British-American understanding." Congrats on the interview, though, Onc! Definitely better than I would have done.

As far as the girl from my school, I definitely don't think she won because of "résumé padding." She established a microcredit incubator in Nigeria, conducted field research in Mexico, worked for international finance firms in China, is in the Huntsman Program, and is a star on the varsity ice hockey team. If anybody is more suited to the study of international economic development, I couldn't imagine.

Rejected for Marshall, but not too surprised considering the only really substantive extracurricular I have to my name is my research...not really the best for demonstrating a commitment to "British-American understanding." Congrats on the interview, though, Onc! Definitely better than I would have done.

As far as the girl from my school, I definitely don't think she won because of "résumé padding." She established a microcredit incubator in Nigeria, conducted field research in Mexico, worked for international finance firms in China, is in the Huntsman Program, and is on the varsity ice hockey team. If anybody is more suited to the study of international economic development, I couldn't imagine.

Sorry to hear about that. I was rejected for the Marshall too. My school hasn't had an interview for the Marshall in a couple of decades so I wasn't surprised. Are you still hoping for the Gates? I have an interview with Cambridge Wednesday. After the Rhodes though I have lost all my confidence so I'm a little concerned for how things will go.

I actually haven't heard back yet from Cambridge, though my application materials literally got there on the deadline...we'll see what happens. Though I know a girl from Penn who won two years ago...a Vagelos Scholar (BA+MS in biochemistry in 4 years) with a 4.0 and 20 A+ grades. Sadly, I don't quite stack up there either.

My ex-boyfriend was a Marshall Scholar, and when we were together he always encouraged me to apply even though I didn't think I could win. Ah well, I guess I was right about that in the end too, among so many other things :p.

My roommate's applying for the Gates and a few other fellowships for which permanent residents are eligible. I've got my fingers crossed for her; she's awesome in so many ways and I hope she wins.

Another friend of mine since freshman year (we used to live in the same dorm) just won the Rhodes! He's an international student, so he applied and won as a representative of his home country. I'm so happy for him!

I actually haven't heard back yet from Cambridge, though my application materials literally got there on the deadline...we'll see what happens. Though I know a girl from Penn who won two years ago...a Vagelos Scholar (BA+MS in biochemistry in 4 years) with a 4.0 and 20 A+ grades. Sadly, I don't quite stack up there either.

My ex-boyfriend was a Marshall Scholar, and when we were together he always encouraged me to apply even though I didn't think I could win. Ah well, I guess I was right about that in the end too, among so many other things :p.

Don't despair yet. I'm the only one from my school that has heard back so far so I don't think you are out of the running yet. The history of science department may just be faster than the one you are applying to. You have amazing MD/PhD interviews so something on your app must be great!

I didn't get an interview for the Rhodes and didn't bother applying for the Marshall. I just didn't have enough ECs for the Rhodes because all of the lab research, but I'm OK with it because these MSTP applications are going great.

In addition to OncDoc, I had two close friends from my college get Rhodes interviews, both of whom lost, and a friend from my high school who did win. She's pretty amazing but definitely not a resume-padder, so I think the process works most of the time as you guys have said. Also, a girl who was at the Yale MSTP interview last month won (I think pennquaker and Dodo were there, and might have met her as well).

Good luck with the Gates interviews everybody! After I was rejected, most of my professors confessed (perhaps out of pity) that they thought it would have been a waste of time to go get a Masters before doing the MD and the PhD here. Certainly the awards carry a lot of cachet, but in the end I'm not sure that it is nearly as big of a help to a scientist's career as to, say, a politician's. As long as you publish well, nobody (aside from the general public) much cares whether you got a Masters in Britain on a prestigious scholarship, so we shouldn't get too down about being rejected and only getting into top-flight MD/PhD programs.

Hey solitude,

did you notice that the Wash U stipend was bumped up a $1,000 from what they told us at the interview? Pretty impressive.

Hey solitude,

did you notice that the Wash U stipend was bumped up a $1,000 from what they told us at the interview? Pretty impressive.

Hmm I didn't notice. Their stipend is really, really high compared to other schools that I've seen. E.g., Yale's stipend is low 20's, and WashU's is 27K. Pretty sweet. Good luck with your other schools...

yea, 27k for being at one of the lowest standard of living places, thats pretty sweet

Hmm I didn't notice. Their stipend is really, really high compared to other schools that I've seen. E.g., Yale's stipend is low 20's, and WashU's is 27K. Pretty sweet. Good luck with your other schools...

Yeah...after rent, util, bills, and food, I still have enough money leftover that I could buy 3 iPhones each month...life is good.

are you serious? I didnt' realize rent was that cheap in st louis

Two of the cheapest standard of living is St. Louis and Houston, and both WashU and Baylor have a huge stipend...

So I'm not surprised when people at Baylor said their stipend was enough to support 2 people.

DO you know if Hopkins has sent out any acceptances yet? Or when they plan to do so?

University of Michigan: solitude (10/31, email), j-weezy (11/14, email), revaldo29 (11/21, email)

This is going to be a pleasant holiday

University of Michigan: solitude (10/31, email), j-weezy (11/14, email), revaldo29 (11/21, email)
University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call

The 1st one feels sooo good. Happy holidays ya'll, and yes, it is quite pleasant, Revaldo!

-E

Skillmatic - when were you interviewed?

University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call

The 1st one feels sooo good. Happy holidays ya'll, and yes, it is quite pleasant, Revaldo!

-E

OK, I remember you now :)

Darn, no e-mail, no phone call. I suppose it's bad news then.

Hi Richard! I interviewed 10/4-5. I met you, methinks. We stayed at the same hotel, right?

-E

University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email), clover86 (10/26, email)
University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call, clover86 (11/21, phone call)

Congratulations everyone!

Do any of you who applied to the Gates know how the academic year progresses at Cambridge?
I know it starts in October, but when does it end? I'm guessing that since you applied and expect to come back and start medical school, that it would end in June or July?

Mount Sinai MSTP: MSTPbound (11/26 - email)
University of Connecticut:GreenMudPhud(10/26, email), marctam86 (10/26, email), bioartist (10/26, email), clover86 (10/26, email)
University of Rochester: meowkat444, 10/16, call from director, skillmatic 11/21, phone call, clover86 (11/21, phone call)

Mount Sinai MSTP: MSTPbound (11/26 - email)

CONGRATS!